GTX 970 horizontal flickering lines

funnyfarmboy

Feb 14, 2019
Greetings everyone.
I currently encounter an issue with my graphics card. After I boot up the PC, there are a bunch of horizontal red/white flickering lines randomly appears on my screen. They only disappear when I go to the boot options menu (F11). Whenever I put the cursor around the artifacts, they reappear at somewhere else.
I'm certain the issue is on the graphics card because I changed monitor, and upgraded the new motherboard, CPU, and RAMs. I even reinstall Windows 10 and the driver. But the problem still persists.
Which part of my graphics card is failing now? How much would it cost to fix it (warranty expired)? Can I fix it by myself? (I tried oven and re-apply thermal compound)

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Yeah, that definitely a bad video card. There's not much you can do that you haven't already tried. GTX 970 cards can be found used for around $100 so i wouldn't invest any more time or money into your bad one.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea, probably faulty video memory; if that's the case it's basically just a compute mule, paperweight, or display item.

Do the artifacts appear with each video port? (i.e. DVI, HDMI, DP etc...)