gtx 950 still worth it for an old system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
The problem with ordering from the EVGA store is they charge for shipping, which ruins any deal they might have (I'm guessing that's where you saw it). With an old system like that I'd just get a used card. Throw out a query in the for sale/trade forum here or other hardware forums. I'm sure there are lots of people with a suitable card laying around that would give you a good deal. As others have said that old Phenom II is going to choke most modern GPUs.

Rudolf31

Jun 8, 2018
<-- running a FX4300 @ 4GHZ with 4gb Ram + GTX970 on 22' 59HZ Screen @ 1680x1050 pixel on win10 just fine.
The 970 is never fully utilized but that was my intention to have some headroom.

At some point the missing FMA3 and SSE4.1 and 4.2 will extension will end the useful life of the Phenom II so i don't see the point of doing balanced upgrading.

Check your screen for the required connector type and look for some used stuff, with the performance of the gtx570( but check the power requirements and your PSU) or upwards and safe the rest for a New System. If you buy New than get something that fits your "intended New System" not the Old.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
You won't even be able to start most modern games with only 4GB of ram, those that you can will stutter like crazy even on the lowest settings.
That's complete rubbish - I have two old machines my sons use, one has a GTX 770 2Gb and the other a 570 1.2Gb. Even the 570 still runs everything fine including all the newest games. The 570 you have to turn the settings down quite a bit but the games still look smooth. The 770 still plays a lot of stuff on high settings @ 1080p.

Really some people on these forums seem to live on an ultra 4k res cloud, unaware that modern games run on all sorts of stuff if you are willing to compromise on settings and res a bit.

Reactions: ao_ika_red

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Got 2 950s from evga as rams. Just recently installed one in my media pc. I'll try to remember and run overwatch on it this weekend and see how it feels.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It would be like someone wanting to buy a i3 PC for their parents to use for email and Facebook, and someone suggesting they should buy a AMD Threadripper system instead.
It's 'bout time some of us take that tact. I mean, there's a member's sig here that basically has questions from two forum members, and the answer is always "buy an 8700K!". (He updates his sig whenever a new Intel CPU comes out.)

It's meant as a joke, that the forum trend among Intel supporters is to always suggest an 8700K for people even looking for a MomPC(tm), but it's also somewhat true. Maybe the AMD crowd needs to take the same tact.

That being said, there's an awful lot of people that would be more-or-less fully satisfied, with a Ryzen 3 2200G APU, with 2x4GB DDR4-2667, and a 128GB or 256GB SATA SSD. (And of course, Windows 10.) For $500 or less.

Reactions: UsandThem