GTX 780 SLI possible hardware issue? Need Help

wsarahan

Mar 10, 2013
Hi guys how are you?
I`m a little scared about my video cards
Sometimes it just start appearing a lot of artefacts in the screen gaming, no overclock, nothing
I have here 2 GTX 780 SLI, i only tested at Payday 2 game till now, i can play for hours without a problem, and then it starts, if i close the game and start again no issues, or if i use 3dmark no issues either
i have the TDR issues here related to the Nvidia drivers, that will be fixed in the new one that will be released in the end of August
But i`m really sad thinkinbg that some of my cards might have a problem
Is there a way to test it without putting off the machine one or another?
And what i described means a hardware issue?
My system is an i7 3770k @ 4.5
PSU CoolerMaster SilentProGold 1200w
The cards are EVGA SC Edition

Thanks

Edit1: Well guys, runned the Valley Benchmark in the max possible for 3 hours and nothing happened, runned with SLI off but with both cards attached so just the first card was running right?
No issues at all, what should i do now?

Thanks

Edit 2: Did the same with the bottom card and no issues again

Edit 3: Trying Furmak now, till now no issues, temps normal, with SLI off but both cards attached, is it really enough just to disable SLI and switch the monitor cable to test each card individually?

Thanks

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
There is every chance its a problem with PayDay 2 and/or the drivers that come with it. Wouldn't be the first time a game released with a relatively rare bug that caused artefacts after come time due to a rare bug. We can certainly rule out some things incase it is hardware:

1) Get GPU-Z, run two versions of it and record the clock speeds and temperatures over time for each card.
2) During the run also record the voltages from your PSU, its possible you don't have enough juice and the 12V line is sagging too much.
3) Take a picture of the screen so we can see what these artefacts look like
4) You could try underclocking the GPU by about 50Mhz on core clock and memory and run the same tests.

wsarahan

Mar 10, 2013
There is every chance its a problem with PayDay 2 and/or the drivers that come with it. Wouldn't be the first time a game released with a relatively rare bug that caused artefacts after come time due to a rare bug. We can certainly rule out some things incase it is hardware:

1) Get GPU-Z, run two versions of it and record the clock speeds and temperatures over time for each card.
2) During the run also record the voltages from your PSU, its possible you don't have enough juice and the 12V line is sagging too much.
3) Take a picture of the screen so we can see what these artefacts look like
4) You could try underclocking the GPU by about 50Mhz on core clock and memory and run the same tests.

Thanks, how do i see the PSU 12v voltage during some stress test or something like that?

And just you to know:

Using now 1.23 and LLC turbo for 4.5 do you think it`s enough?

Thanks

Last edited:

wsarahan

Mar 10, 2013
Anyways i did some tests, see if you think it`s enough

Valley benckmark: SLI off both attached in the MB, 3 hours wich card no issues or artifacts

Furmark: SLI off both attached in the MB, 3 hours wich card no issues or artifacts

3D Mark 13 (I have the full version) - SLI off both attached in the MB, 5 hours wich card no issues or artifacts

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Try Prime95 for 12 hours to stress the CPU and see if Prime gives you an error message. If it does, your cpu is not stable.

wsarahan

Mar 10, 2013
Tried the new driver bout something is letting me crazy here:

when i`m running IBT with any vcore i`m receiveing black screens and after a couple os fesonds the video drive comes back working and i received that maessage that the video driver stopped working and came back sucessufly....... no BSOD nothing just this message running IBT

Any possible reason?

Thanks

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
could be the PSU rails not handling the load or a bad card. Have you tried one card at a time?

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Get rid of the overclock. Seriously when you start seeing artefacts and problems its kind of obvious your machine should be running stock while you determine what is at fault. *shakes head*

Do the tests I told you to. Honestly in response to my tests you tell me your overclock?! I am speechless. I am done, welcome to my ignore list where many time wasters have ended up before.

wsarahan

Mar 10, 2013
Get rid of the overclock. Seriously when you start seeing artefacts and problems its kind of obvious your machine should be running stock while you determine what is at fault. *shakes head*

Do the tests I told you to. Honestly in response to my tests you tell me your overclock?! I am speechless. I am done, welcome to my ignore list where many time wasters have ended up before.

I already had this overclock for years, but i changed the cards and the memos and by mistake made a bios update, that`s when the problem came up

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
I couldn't understand your post about trying a new driver...what drivers have you tried? I had horrible artifacts in Bioshock Infinite with the 320.18, i'd quit and reload and the artifacts were gone...then come back later......I updated to the 326.41 and I've had no issues since.

Also, do what Brightcandle said and run your cpu @ stock, at least till you can narrow the issue.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
How can i see the 12v rail?

Thanks

Well, there are many programs that can show you the voltages. Even your motherboard may come with a utility. You could try AIDA64 Extreme Edition. There is a 30day trial. You can monitor all your voltages there. Unfortunately they are unreliable and not realtime. You can use a multimeter with a molex connector to check what the PSU is doing in real time. Since your PSU has a single 12v rail it will be easier to check this way as you don't have to worry about trying to check multiple rails.

http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1487_6.html

wsarahan

Mar 10, 2013
Well, there are many programs that can show you the voltages. Even your motherboard may come with a utility. You could try AIDA64 Extreme Edition. There is a 30day trial. You can monitor all your voltages there. Unfortunately they are unreliable and not realtime. You can use a multimeter with a molex connector to check what the PSU is doing in real time. Since your PSU has a single 12v rail it will be easier to check this way as you don't have to worry about trying to check multiple rails.

http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1487_6.html

With Aida (i have the fulll version) It show correct 12.168, but now i have a bigger issue, something is really wrong here

Even with my CPU at stock clocks when i run IBT or LinX after a couple of seconds or minutes my screen goes black and comes back with the message that the video driver was crash and recovered....

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Well, try one card only and see what happens. Then try the other card. Physically remove the card from your system when doing this testing. We may be able to find out if one or both cards are faulty in some way. Make sure your GPU is not overclocked, keep them at stock.

wsarahan

Mar 10, 2013
Well, try one card only and see what happens. Then try the other card. Physically remove the card from your system when doing this testing. We may be able to find out if one or both cards are faulty in some way. Make sure your GPU is not overclocked, keep them at stock.

Just finished doing that

Removed both cards, tested once a time with stock clocks at CPU

After some minutes at IBT and Linx the same video crash in both, same situation

What can we do now?

Thanks again man, you are really helping me

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Well, I'd say try the new betas that came out. See if that gives any changes at all.

Otherwise it's really strange. When I had that it was a bad card, but only one card did it.

The last option is to monitor your voltage with a meter like the link I posted above explains.

Also may want to monitor your CPU core temperatures with real temp while you run IBT as you may have an improperly seated heatsink or cooling problem too.

Last edited: