GTX 750 on PCIe 1.0?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shehriazad

Nov 3, 2014
I clearly remember that my 750 Ti would always switch from PCI-E 3.0 mode to 1.1 mode (Asrock fm2a88x-itx+) while in power saving mode.

So those cards are ought to be at least working with 1.1...eh? ^^;

sheh

Jul 25, 2005
Assuming GPU-Z is correct there, it would just mean PCIe 3.0 cards in PCIe 3.0 slots can switch to slower speeds to save power. I don't think you can infer compatibility with real PCIe 1.x slots from that.

You can pick up those x2 cpu's from ebay for a pound or two ($2-3)
If I want to keep my single-thread performance similar I'd have to buy more than the cheapest X2. Add international shipping, and it's around $15. Instead, I'll see if I can find somewhere an old mobo based around an Intel series 40 chipset, and then get an E8xxx for these $15. :)

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
980 works with 1.1

perfrel_3840.gif

not working with 1.1 should be considered a bug to be fixed with a new firmware or something.

sheh

Jul 25, 2005
It very well might, but that article didn't test on a real PCIe 1.1/1.0 motherboard:

BIOS option given to us by the ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero motherboard which allowed us to toggle the CPU's PCI-Express root complex between PCI-Express 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0.

Apr 20, 2008
There are various reports on the web from people who couldn't get newer Radeons to work on PCIe 1.0. I think mostly PCIe 2.1 cards or newer. Sometimes solvable with a mobo BIOS update, if available. I don't think it's a power delivery issue. But yes, I do think it's possible some or more Sapphire cards would work fine.

It's an AMD motherboard, not Intel. But yes, it does seem the single-core CPU and maybe 533MHz memory are bottlenecking this more than I expected. I could get an X2 to improve the situation, but if waste more money, possibly better to go with Intel, maybe even from a power efficiency perspective (currently the system idles at around 65W AC).

An Nvidia card not working on an H61 mobo? Something is bizarre there. Maybe a UEFI compatibility issue that needs an updated graphics card BIOS?

Single core AMD? Geez, hold off on any GPU upgrade. Seriously, I'd rather game/video on a Sandy Bridge i3 with the igp than an Athlon/opteron at 2.8GHZ and a 290x.

At the very least get the unlocked Pentium or an Athlon quad 5350 25w AM1 CPU. Both are a much better fit to a mid-range/high-end video card than any single core CPU made.

Edit: scratch the AM1 CPU recommendation with that card. They generally only have x4 electrical GPU sockets. That's a HTPC and APU-only gaming solution in my opinion.

Last edited:

jaco1916

Mar 15, 2015
Just installed new graphic card to my worksation on s5000xvm, i repleced my old radeon 6450 hd with geforce MSI gtx 750 3gbddr5, the problem looks like that - after installation of new card i start a workstation i got bios beep - sounds ok, but no signal on monitor, then i got windows startup sound so it still sound ok but still no signal on display monitor, so it looks like whole worstation is working fine just a gpu gives no signal using d sub, ive chcecked my PCIE slot - it looks clean, whole mainboard looks ok - no dirt, no burnings, no sign of any damage, after i put back my old radeon ( on the same PCIE slot that didnt work with new card, same monitor, same cable ) everything works fine ( im just using it so it really works fine) so i guess PCI slot is ok, and also workstatnion i in use for like 12h every day - 3ds max, internet browsing, some gameing even - totally no problems - starts fine, no hang ups, no crashes, no problems with high temperatures i really keep it in good condition, and ofcourse when i put new card in ive clean pcie with air duster just in case - my full configuration looks like that :
Intel Vernonia S5000XVN
2x quad core Xeon e 5420
12 gb Fb dimm ( 6x2gb ddr 2)
2x hdd
power supply - delta electronics 670W
monitor - Acer V196hql
im using vga(dsub) cable
old graphic card - ati radeon hd 6450 - works fine
new graphic card - MSI Global N750-2GD5/OC - totally no signal, with workstation sounds like working correctly ( sound of windows startup )
bios - 03/26/07
Any ideas>>>?