GTX 750 on PCIe 1.0?

sheh

Jul 25, 2005
Any idea if Geforce GTX 750 will work on a PCIe 1.0 slot?

The 750 doesn't have a 6-pin power connector and draws all the power from the slot. Something I read suggested PCIe 2.1 has increased the power available from the slot, but I'm not sure if that's really the case, or if it matters for the 750.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
It should still supply the 75 watts that it is specced to supply. Some cards, 8800GT's and 9800GT's have been measured to draw more (88W) in some circumstances.

From what I gather even though there might have been an increase in what PCIe 2 and 3 are supposed to be able to supply, cards are still only designed to draw the 75W as not all motherboards have conformed to this. Also PCIe 1x compatibility

sheh

Jul 25, 2005
Reading around I do find references to ATI/AMD cards with compatibility problems on PCIe 1.0, but no so much Nvidia. So the possibility at least exists.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
It should still supply the 75 watts that it is specced to supply. Some cards, 8800GT's and 9800GT's have been measured to draw more (88W) in some circumstances.

From what I gather even though there might have been an increase in what PCIe 2 and 3 are supposed to be able to supply, cards are still only designed to draw the 75W as not all motherboards have conformed to this. Also PCIe 1x compatibility

I think you're right, if it's an x16 slot then it should have sufficient power.

Edit: This is still correct, but irrelevant. PCIe x1, x4, and x8 are limited to 25W. I've also had trouble getting a GTX 650 to work in a PCIe x4 slot without the use of additional adapters (x4>x16, x16 riser).

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Reading around I do find references to ATI/AMD cards with compatibility problems on PCIe 1.0, but no so much Nvidia. So the possibility at least exists.

The only way to be sure is to try. Depending on which board you have I'd avoid MSI and EVGA cards. Those seem to be the biggest compatibility offenders.

BTW, what CPU will you be using? A 750 seems like an awful lot of card for the C2D generation. With a C2Q it might be worthwhile.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'm just wondering how well a CPU from a generation of board that only does PCIE v1.x could support a GTX 750. Having a quick browse through old motherboard manuals, I have to go back to an AM2 board (not AM2+ compatible) as the most recent one I've used with that version slot, so that would support an absolute maximum of something like an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+.

Admittedly I tend to only use mid to mid-high range boards, so just like I sometimes encounter 2009-era cheapo boards that only have DDR2 slots yet with an AM3 class CPU, there might be some cheaper boards somewhere that only support PCIE v1.x yet support a more modern processor.

The other side of this problem is that the main improvement (AFAIK) between PCIE versions is the extra bandwidth supply, so not only are you potentially hobbling the graphics card with an underpowered CPU, but pretty much all the other buses are bottlenecking the graphics card.

If my guesses are correct about the platform's age, the only reason I would consider this upgrade would be if I had definite plans to upgrade the rest of the platform within say a year at most. Otherwise it's pegging a mid-range graphics card (and my 750 Ti can't handle everything I can throw at it with older games such as Batman AC on max settings), which is going to show its age sooner rather than later and then hobbling it some more.

sheh

Jul 25, 2005
The only way to be sure is to try. Depending on which board you have I'd avoid MSI and EVGA cards. Those seem to be the biggest compatibility offenders.
I can't try in advance. Why do you say MSI and EVGA are less compatible?

BTW, I asked Asus support, they say their cards should work on PCIe 1.0. I asked specifically about NV 750 and AMD 260. Waiting to hear from Gigabyte.

Regarding slower performance on an old system, I don't mind as long as it's PCIe 1.0 compatible. I fully expect the CPU to be a bottleneck, probably also memory, but PCIe bandwidth not so much (e.g., see this, or this, with better cards and on better systems). I mainly want a quiet card (with full fan speed control if possible, underclockable, undervoltable), decent performance, and inexpensive.

I'm primarily looking for something cheaper on eBay, but so far nothing terribly attractive came up. People seem to pay for slower, older generation, used cards prices similar to better and new cards. If I end up getting a new card, it might just be a 750 for its better power efficiency over the 650. Prices aren't that much different, though there is currently a Zotac 650 selling for $60. (EDIT: Oh, it's not a 650 Ti. 650 non-Ti is quite poor.)

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Why do you say MSI and EVGA are less compatible?

Because their vBIOS/UEFI apparently have problems with many older BIOSs. It not even limited to older boards, some newer ones with UEFI don't like them either...

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
If you want to wait a few more days, i'll have my 750ti ready to go into my 1.0 boards with a C2D, i'll let you know how it goes

sheh

Jul 25, 2005
That will be interesting, thanks. What card model is it and what's the mobo chipset/model?

Because their vBIOS/UEFI apparently have problems with many older BIOSs. It not even limited to older boards, some newer ones with UEFI don't like them either...
Sounds like bad business for them.

gooseman

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
It should work. They are suppose to be backward compatible. I'm currently running a 3.0 card in a 2.0 board without any problems at all.

sheh

Jul 25, 2005
It should work. They are suppose to be backward compatible. I'm currently running a 3.0 card in a 2.0 board without any problems at all.
What card model?

PCIe 2.0 is newer, but according to Wikipedia PCIe 2.1 is the version that increased the power available from the slot, so power-wise 2.0 should be similar to 1.0.

It's a Zotac card. Mobo is a MSI with a G41 chipset. Should be here on wed
Okay. G41 appears to be PCIe 1.1.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
Any idea if Geforce GTX 750 will work on a PCIe 1.0 slot?

The 750 doesn't have a 6-pin power connector and draws all the power from the slot. Something I read suggested PCIe 2.1 has increased the power available from the slot, but I'm not sure if that's really the case, or if it matters for the 750.

Are you buying a 750 used?

I am confused with some of your post.

BTW, what sort of setup are you running? CPU/mobo/ram/PSU

I dont think there is much question, a 750 non ti should work without issue. Its merely 55watts. There should be no issue at all in a PCIe 1.0 16x.

Are you buying new? If you are you can always send it back if there happened to be an issue. But i seriously seriously doubt it.

Even the 750ti should work. It is stated as a 60watt card. There seems to be varying opinions these days on what a PCIe 1.0 can handle, some say its as low as 60watts but many others swear its 75watts. Both the 750 and 750ti should be absolutely fine. I have seen people using HD7750 in PCIe 1.0 slots and i think those have a 75watt TDP.

I really dont see the fuss, a 750 non ti should be perfectly fine for you

sheh

Jul 25, 2005
The card might be new or used, and could also end up being another model altogether. But 750 is one of the more likely options if new.

Yeah, the rest of the setup is going to be a bottleneck in many cases, but I don't mind the decreased performance as long as it works.

Gigabyte has replied to my question about their 750 and R7 260, saying they are compatible.

sheh

Jul 25, 2005
BTW, of the companies I asked about compatibility, one particularly strange reply was from Sapphire. They claim none of their PCIe 2.x and 3.x cards support PCIe 1.0. Either they do something very unwise in their hardware or firmware, or whoever replied is clueless.

sheh

Jul 25, 2005
Also a Gainward GTX 750 works on PCIe 1.0 (GPU-Z claims PCIe 1.1).

Apr 20, 2008
BTW, of the companies I asked about compatibility, one particularly strange reply was from Sapphire. They claim none of their PCIe 2.x and 3.x cards support PCIe 1.0. Either they do something very unwise in their hardware or firmware, or whoever replied is clueless.

Likely clueless to be honest. I see zero reason why a pci-e sub-75 w card wouldn't work in a pci-e 1.1 mobo.

Side note, upgrade that C2D to a C2Q! Q6600s are always cheap to get on eBay (buy it now saves time) and will really stretch the legs on that system out with the 750. Future resisting is always a good idea, especially when it's super cheap. If it wasn't for nba 2K15 I'd still be using my C2Q build.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Compatibility is so crazy these days,iv'e had a ancient 945g based Dell XPS400 work with a 9500gt,gtx650 and a 7850.Guarantee for the sake of fun this 970 of mine would work with no issues.It has pci 1.1.:)

Ironically my cousin and his father have nearly identical H61 motherboards,one with a i3 and one with a i5 and both from Gigabyte and my old 770 well that thing works with one that has a Bios dating after the cards release while the other just hangs with a 2012 based Bios.:awe:

I may test my 970 in the XPS400 just for fun,also got a 2008 era based Gateway DX4200 with a x4 9150e that has worked with every card i have owned without fail too.:)

sheh

Jul 25, 2005
Likely clueless to be honest. I see zero reason why a pci-e sub-75 w card wouldn't work in a pci-e 1.1 mobo.
There are various reports on the web from people who couldn't get newer Radeons to work on PCIe 1.0. I think mostly PCIe 2.1 cards or newer. Sometimes solvable with a mobo BIOS update, if available. I don't think it's a power delivery issue. But yes, I do think it's possible some or more Sapphire cards would work fine.

Side note, upgrade that C2D to a C2Q! Q6600s are always cheap to get on eBay (buy it now saves time) and will really stretch the legs on that system out with the 750.
It's an AMD motherboard, not Intel. But yes, it does seem the single-core CPU and maybe 533MHz memory are bottlenecking this more than I expected. I could get an X2 to improve the situation, but if waste more money, possibly better to go with Intel, maybe even from a power efficiency perspective (currently the system idles at around 65W AC).

Ironically my cousin and his father have nearly identical H61 motherboards,one with a i3 and one with a i5 and both from Gigabyte and my old 770 well that thing works with one that has a Bios dating after the cards release while the other just hangs with a 2012 based Bios.
An Nvidia card not working on an H61 mobo? Something is bizarre there. Maybe a UEFI compatibility issue that needs an updated graphics card BIOS?

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
An Nvidia card not working on an H61 mobo? Something is bizarre there. Maybe a UEFI compatibility issue that needs an updated graphics card BIOS?

Yeah both boards were nearly identical,one was a slight rework of the other with a HDMI port and a few less usb but just the Bios version was different,it would hang during Bios post.Wasn't a issue that was present with a 7850 or gtx650

There is a Bios update for newer cards on that board.

Older computers sometimes are just weird while the newer ones end up so touchy,i'm still going to try and see if that XPS400 and DX4200 work with this 970 lol.Both those are back up/spare part rigs and during downtime compatibility really has surprised me.:thumbsup:

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
It's an AMD motherboard, not Intel. But yes, it does seem the single-core CPU and maybe 533MHz memory are bottlenecking this more than I expected. I could get an X2 to improve the situation, but if waste more money, possibly better to go with Intel, maybe even from a power efficiency perspective (currently the system idles at around 65W AC).

You can pick up those x2 cpu's from ebay for a pound or two ($2-3)