GTX 690 vs. Radeon 7990

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

89ycha

Oct 6, 2013
omg what happened to the price recently. Last time when I checked it was at par with 690.
I should definitely go with 7990, the price difference is just ridiculous.

btw anyone knows the reason for the price drop?? Were there any issues?

powruser

Mar 11, 2011
No issues to speak of besides poor Crossfire scaling in some instances (which drivers can and will improve over time) and lots of reports of coil whine. I believe since the 7970 GHz Edition was getting beat by the GTX Titan/780, AMD wanted to be able to say they had the fastest single card available (which they do), so they lowered the price to compete with the GTX 780.

Warsam71

Jul 29, 2013
I don't think the OP is looking into dual GPUs (XFire or SLI).

Reviews for some of the R9 and R7 series GPUs have been released and information about the R9 290X will be available soon - when are you planning to upgrade? (I'd wait a couple of weeks or so if I were you). If you can't wait, then the HD7990 is the way to go - which games are you planning on playing?

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004

Reviews for some of the R9 and R7 series GPUs have been released and information about the R9 290X will be available soon - when are you planning to upgrade? (I'd wait a couple of weeks or so if I were you). If you can't wait, then the HD7990 is the way to go - which games are you planning on playing?

So what's the price going to be? Many of us are a little upset due to the fact we can't even preorder it like promised on the 3rd.

89ycha

Oct 6, 2013

Thanks for the advise. I'm just worried of price going back up again.. I'm upgrading because my friend gave me 2 monitors(i was using 2). Now I have 2x24' and 2x23', I want to try 4 monitors @ 1920x1080. Not sure if it's possible do.

I pretty much play all new games, except strategy games.