GTX-690 Reviews are up.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 19, 2009
The next person to accuse another of fraud or libel gets an instant 1 week vacation. You guys are like 6 year olds that just discovered new words and we're tired of it
-ViRGE

Sorry ViRGE, you didn't even read the context of it. Moving on.

Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
:hmm: 1 review out of 10 enthusiast websites shows that....

That's 1 review out of how many? Everyone else preferred GTX690 to HD7970 CF , including Hardware Canucks, AnandTech, Computerbase.de, HardOCP, Xbitlabs, etc.

Simple , they used outdated drivers , contrary to Hardware.fr..

From computerbase , the link tou re quoting ,about the set up :

Treiberversionen
  • AMD Catalyst 11.11c Performance-Treiber
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2012/test-nvidia-geforce-gtx-690/15/

Xbitlabs
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/geforce-gtx-690_5.html#sect0

HardOCP :

Cat 12.3 Beta and 12.3 CAP1.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/05/03/nvidia_geforce_gtx_690_dual_gpu_video_card_review/2

Anand did use C12.4 , though...

Last edited:

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
What an epic ripoff. Less than 680SLI performance for 20% more money. Either newegg, evga or both are laughing with the spoils of that $200 gauge.

Maybe they sold to people looking for 680SLI who were tired of trying to find two in stock :D

I got the price from ASUS today it will cost around ~1600$ here :thumbsdown: :rolleyes:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
I think the point is you could get similar performance for less money. The 690 gives you more than just FPS though. It's easily the most elegant solution for the type of performance it gives. Some people could care less about that. People who can generally afford to buy "nice things" though understand and appreciate the overall package.

There are people who buy AMG Mercedes and there are people who supe up Subaru's.

Disclaimer: Owners of suped-up Subaru's... nothing personal. ;)
Imho,

Let me preface my views about lack luster price/performance as a whole with 28nm considering these are substantial and significant node and arch changes, while the price/performance ratio is more-so evolutionary and incremental. Really feel the HD 7970 and GTX 680 were 349-399 price-points more-so than the higher price-points they were initially offered --- 549-499. Gamers were paying more steeper premiums for performance, imho. Probably because of added costs for materials, constraints, lower than expected yields, market conditions, competition ramifications and both being more of a predator and aggressor with 28nm.

That said -- if GTX 680 can command 499 dollars for a product sku -- how can a product sku that offers 95 percent of the performance of GTX 680 SLi, with lower power efficiency, lower acoustics, improved thermals, one slot design, looks like some potential with hardware frame metering -- not worth the same as GTX 680 SLi based on current pricing, market conditions and competition?

Personally feel that the product sku may never of been planned originally to be a 999 MSRP but more so in the 699-799 price point range but pricing is what it is.. This was one of my fears when I did see AMD raise prices by 50 percent and set the market for 28nm pricing. The days of the consumer receiving this outstanding price/performance may fade to be distant memories from both nVidia and AMD, but also hope this is more-so an exception to the rule and not a new premium rule moving forward. Time and maturity of 28nm may tell the story.

Gamers may have to pay more premium for performance for 28nm, sadly, at this time.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Is it me or did any of these reviewers actually test the 690? It's so rare I find it hard to believe they all actually had one.

I watched the live Nvidia link in the wee hours of the morning here in the East coast ( I think it was in Shanghai China) and someone in the audience actually won one. Don't mean to be cynical but are there actaully even 5 of them out there?

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
LOL, just checked ebay and noticed someone snagged a GTX 690 for the BIN price of $2k. :eek:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I suppose I'll have to get in on this ebay fleecing, if I can manage to find a reseller with the 690 at MSRP

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
I watched the event and was neat to see the gamer that won the first GTX 690 -- must of been a nice thrill for that gamer.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I'm too cheap to buy one so I'll stick with my single GTX 680, but very nice work on the heat, noise and especially the power use.

If I was buying or more likely recommending the hardware for a SLI / CF setup this would currently be my first choice.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I'm too cheap to buy one so I'll stick with my single GTX 680, but very nice work on the heat, noise and especially the power use.

If I was buying or more likely recommending the hardware for a SLI / CF setup this would currently be my first choice.

Even NewEgg is charging silly prices ($1200) so, yeah, I'd pass even then.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
I wonder if NV could have priced these at $1.5-2K. Looks like the PC enthusiast crowd got extremely rich during the Great Recession. That's a lot of $ to max out console ports/not demanding PC titles.
Historically we have a situation where hardware is so far ahead of software, it's almost laughable now. We have the most powerful hardware vs. lack of next generation game engines (no Dooms, Far Cry, Crysis that are crushing GPUs) and yet $1,000+ cards are selling out. How quickly we went from $250 HD6950 / $270 GTX570 sweet spot being all the rage last generation to $500-1,000 GPUs selling out. I guess I missed the memo where wages doubled and tripled.

I missed it too, but apparently somebody must have acquired all the money. Earlier today there was this thread:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2243522

whose starter had this rather blunt statement:

I have lotsa money.

The Great Recession of the early 21st century: where the 'let them eat cake' has replaced with a more modern version...

[Disclaimer: the OP of that thread may have been sarcastic - can't tell since their post count is still at one.]

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
According to newegg business they had like 14 cards when they first showed up in stock.

Well, for a company the size of Newegg that doesn't seem like many at all.

Just curious. Is that for the US? All of Newegg? Just one Newegg warehouse? How does that work?

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Well, for a company the size of Newegg that doesn't seem like many at all.

Just curious. Is that for the US? All of Newegg? Just one Newegg warehouse? How does that work?

The GTX 690 wasn't "released" on the 3rd, that was just merely a small advance quantity from EVGA. Wider launch is next week. And yes that was all of newegg US, they had 14 cards

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
The GTX 690 wasn't "released" on the 3rd, that was just merely a small advance quantity from EVGA. Wider launch is next week. And yes that was all of newegg US, they had 14 cards

Do they offer the same info for Newegg Canada and China? Sorry, I'm not familiar with where they supply the info Or I'd look it up myself.