GTX 680 black screen then card runs half speed/power

bodine1231

Feb 9, 2013
I'm having a problem with my GTX 680. When gaming and sometimes watching VLC the screen will turn black (monitor turns off/on) or the game/movie will pause for a second and when it returns my card runs at half the speed/power % and my frames drop 50%. I have to restart to get back to my default clock.

I've tried setting both the GPU and MEM Clock Offsets to stock (have always kept Power Target at 132 so I'll try lowering that next) and my temperature never goes above 65%. This is a resent i7 build but it's also done this on my 955BE build as well. Could this be PCI Express 3? Please help.

Windows 7
i7 3570k
AS Rock Extreme 4
8gb Ram
Antec Truepower 750w

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Sounds like a driver crash after unstable clocks. I don't think I ever saw my 680 come back up at half speed after a driver crash, but it did go black screen and come right back up.

If it did it on two separate builds, at stock clocks and relatively low temps, I'd look at a defective card. Fresh windows install and drivers between each build?

bodine1231

Feb 9, 2013
Sounds like a driver crash after unstable clocks. I don't think I ever saw my 680 come back up at half speed after a driver crash, but it did go black screen and come right back up.

If it did it on two separate builds, at stock clocks and relatively low temps, I'd look at a defective card. Fresh windows install and drivers between each build?

Yes,fresh drivers and windows install.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I'm having a problem with my GTX 680. When gaming and sometimes watching VLC the screen will turn black (monitor turns off/on) or the game/movie will pause for a second and when it returns my card runs at half the speed/power % and my frames drop 50%. I have to restart to get back to my default clock.

I've tried setting both the GPU and MEM Clock Offsets to stock (have always kept Power Target at 132 so I'll try lowering that next) and my temperature never goes above 65%. This is a resent i7 build but it's also done this on my 955BE build as well. Could this be PCI Express 3? Please help.

Windows 7
i7 3570k
AS Rock Extreme 4
8gb Ram
Antec Truepower 750w

Sounds like a TDR maybe from overclocking? That's pretty much what happens when you OC too high.

edit: Just missed the part where you said stock clocks, hmm

bodine1231

Feb 9, 2013
Sounds like a TDR maybe from overclocking? That's pretty much what happens when you OC too high.

edit: Just missed the part where you said stock clocks, hmm

Would lowering the Power Target make any difference? I've always kept it at 132%

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
I was running current WHQL and Beta. I recently switched to 310.33 to test.

The 310.90 WHQL drivers were problematic on a lot of systems resulting in black screens, cold boot issues, etc. While it was a little aggravating removing the 310.90 residue, I personally haven't had any problems with the 313.96 beta.

Last edited: