GTX 670 power edition (overclocks)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I found some odd results, using Afterburner 2.2.3 and the latest nv drivers 306.97.

Firstly, I don't know if the 670 needs a LN2 BIOS to overvolt.

Overclocking tests with and without overvolting.

MSI GTX 670 PE

Test1:
core voltage + 100 (mV?)
core clock + ~72MHz

Test2:
core voltage + 100 (mV?)
core clock + ~102MHz

Test3
core voltage default.
core clock + ~50MHz

All had the memory at ~3250 = 6500MHz

Overvolting adds heat and power. Kepler throttles when it reaches a certain power and/or heat threshold. That is what is happening when you up the voltage to the maximum. You can no longer just up the voltage and get the highest possible performance. You have to find the balance between what the chip will allow for it's highest sustained operations with respect to it's voltage (in relation to heat and power). Decrease the voltage and/or increase your fan speed until you find the balance you want.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Overvolting adds heat and power. Kepler throttles when it reaches a certain power and/or heat threshold. That is what is happening when you up the voltage to the maximum. You can no longer just up the voltage and get the highest possible performance. You have to find the balance between what the chip will allow for it's highest sustained operations with respect to it's voltage (in relation to heat and power). Decrease the voltage and/or increase your fan speed until you find the balance you want.

My card has never even went over 65c (with auto fan). The throttling starts to occurs at 70c iirc? I did crank it up once but it didn't help and was annoyingly loud.