Gtx 660m Downclocking to 405Mhz when AC adapter is not connected and is stuck

sephiroth9878

Sep 29, 2012
Hey can someone please help ? Because i recently got an alienware laptop and all was well until i tried playing battlefield 3 and it lagged badly... some days it was fine others it wasn't, i later found that when i turned my computer on with the AC adapter plugged in, clocks ran normally. But if the AC adapter fell out at anytime it downclocked which was normal.. but when i plug it back in, the clocks remained at 405mhz which means i can't play battlefield or any type of game until i reboot my laptop.. please help, i have had a dell technician out who replaced the motherboard which did nothing, does anyone have a solution ASAP ? Thanks

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
I'd try installing the latest drivers and see if that helps. Have you tried installing the NVIDIA official drivers or just Dell's? It sounds like (for whatever reason) the laptop isn't properly changing performance profiles after you plug in the AC power. This could be due to failure to recognize (driver issue) or incorrect setting somewhere. I would also check out the Windows power options as well as NVIDIA driver options (especially for power controls, forget what NVIDIA calls them) to see if there's a "Maximize battery life" option selected somewhere that shouldn't be.

sephiroth9878

Sep 29, 2012
I have been through drivers etc.. because it seems the GTX660m is a fairly new graphics card because there are only beta drivers for it yet, and i will try looking for power options but i think i have tried that also, but thanks for the help.