GTX 570 SLI (EVGA & NV Reference) + Antec EA650 PSU - Testing...

ragejg

Apr 9, 2008
So i evaluated an NVIDIA reference GTX 570 as well as an EVGA 570 SC; compared them with a GTX 580 in a relatively simple, 6 game/3 synthetic benchmark performance review... I get done with it and publish it; and then I took one of the 570s out an plug the 580 back in.

... And I'm sitting there looking at these two nice GPUs. Then I look at my PSU. Antec Earthwatts 650 (EA650). Now, I know that's a darn good PSU; I've had it for a while and it's powered everything from an A8V Deluxe 939 rig to a litany of AM2+/AM3 setups. I've kept it clean and dust-free on the inside, and I inspect the caps every few months. The lines/rails are pretty good on it, but not as steady as today's $100-$150 PSUs. In other words, it's likely a good PSU for something like a single HD 5830/5850/5870 or GTX 470/480/570/580... On the SLI side it would seem it could put up with maybe dual GTX 465s.

I thought "heck, I'll try these two 570s... they're supposed to be more power efficient; maybe this PSU can handle them". So I plug them in and look at the first SLI setup I've ever seen in person (though I've been a staffer/reviewer since 2003; I don't know anyone in my area that's a PC gamer; maybe I should drive up to Rochester once in a while and hang out at FrozenCPU).

Before I plugged them in, however, I de-overclocked. I figured there would be no way these cards would run in this rig with the x6 overclocked to 3.96ghz @ ~1.47 vcore.

... Smooth startup, good idle temps (42)... so I figured it's time to benchmark a bit and compare my single card results (albeit with CPU @ 3.96) with some SLI figures.

AVP Benchmark went fine:

Single card (with CPU @ 3.96 ghz):

108.jpg

SLI with x6 @ stock 2.8 with turbo mode on:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Texture Quality: 3
Shadow Quality: 3
Anisotropic Filtering: 16
SSAO: ON
Vertical Sync: OFF
DX11 Tessellation: ON
DX11 Advanced Shadows: ON
DX11 MSAA Samples: 4

Benchmark Summary:

Number of frames: 7816
Average Frame Time: 13.4ms
Average FPS: 74.5

hm, ok, it works. :) So then I tried Stone Giant:

Single card (with CPU @ 3.96):

102.jpg

SLI (CPU @ 2.8):

Min: 85
Avg: 136.0
Max: 176

... 90% scaling; nice...

So I was convinced at that point to play a game for an extended period of time. I think amongst all of my games (not really that many), Bad Company 2 seems to be the best all-around system-stresser.

So I played for 2 hours on the new Harvest map... full server, 19x10, all settings highest, HBAO on, and played with all the AA modes. It ran great; no issues all the way through.

It's reasonable to say that I have two GTX 570s running @ EVGA SC speeds, in SLI mode using my x6 system with a good (now I'd call it great) 650W PSU.

I wish I had a Kill-a-Watt. :p Come next review I'll have one though; I've waited too long to get one.

I'm willing to bet that I'm right at the threshold. Well, I think I'll enjoy this for a while... and then I'll get a better PSU as insurance. :p

Last edited:

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
With your CPU at stock you should be pretty safe. But definitely don't do extended gaming sessions with SLI and that monster overclock. Overclocking eats up power. It's quite possible your overclocked processor is using twice the power as stock.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
I would be leary, your PSU is definitely running over 650w and behind the scenes it is taking a huge nose dive in efficiency. You are killing it softly with your SLI song.

ragejg

Apr 9, 2008
I would be leary, your PSU is definitely running over 650w and behind the scenes it is taking a huge nose dive in efficiency. You are killing it softly with your SLI song.

As said in OP I'll be getting a beefier PSU soon. I've gotten my money's worth out of this PSU anyway, so if it goes, it goes. I've had it for two + years and it's done its job admirably. I'm actually thinking about an Earthwatts 750 since the design of these PSUs obviously has some strong points... but I'll likely get something like a good 900-950w unit.

tyl998

Aug 30, 2010
TruePower New 750 from Antec is very good. For a 900 watt PSU, the High Current Gamer 900 will do nicely

Last edited:

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
As said in OP I'll be getting a beefier PSU soon. I've gotten my money's worth out of this PSU anyway, so if it goes, it goes. I've had it for two + years and it's done its job admirably. I'm actually thinking about an Earthwatts 750 since the design of these PSUs obviously has some strong points... but I'll likely get something like a good 900-950w unit.

If it goes it may bring your entire system with it..

Earthwatts reviews were very good for their time, but against a modern PSU they are average.

CosmicMight

Dec 12, 2010
Would an 850 be fine for a pair of 570's? Going to be building a new system soon...

And hello, everyone. ():)

ragejg

Apr 9, 2008
If it goes it may bring your entire system with it..

Earthwatts reviews were very good for their time, but against a modern PSU they are average.

As a lifelong overclocker who has done plenty of weird stuff for extra mhz just for the fun of it, I don't really prescribe to worriment as it applies to PCs. Worry is for things like serious life stuff.

And boobs.

I worry that if I don't get to see boobs on a regular basis, my reality might divide by zero.

Anyway, the rig's been running steady the whole week, on pretty much 24/7, occasionally sleeping for a couple hours, gaming an average of an hour a day, using multiple display 50% of the time and watching Flash or DivX media approx. 2-3 hrs a day. Voltages, temps and everything else is holding steady. At this point I kinda prefer this setup (despite its stock-ness WRT voltages/clocks) to the 580 overclocked and @ 1.138 and the x6 @ 3.96, 1.47v, respectively.