GTX 560 ( SE ) Review: Mid Range Maddness

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Thanx for destroying my thread now nobody wants to shoot the shxx !
I've already apologized and I will do so again. Your thread is great. The problem is all the stuff you stirred up in other threads and then it came back to bite you in here.

I think that the GTX 560 SE is a good low-end card but it has no value in SLI IMO. It will be vram limited and will not perform as well as a single overclocked 7850.

All of that said, I've seen the 6850 regularly for $130, and I think I even saw a 6870 for that price as well and both of those cards would be faster.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
I've already apologized and I will do so again. Your thread is great. The problem is all the stuff you stirred up in other threads and then it came back to bite you in here.

I think that the GTX 560 SE is a good low-end card but it has no value in SLI IMO. It will be vram limited and will not perform as well as a single overclocked 7850.

All of that said, I've seen the 6850 regularly for $130, and I think I even saw a 6870 for that price as well and both of those cards would be faster.
Well first off I will say that you were never a problem. is GTX 560 SE a Low end card LOL ? I thought it to be a purely mid range card myself but 30fps in Metro 2033 Maxed on DX11 with Advanced Physx off is not bad at all for a low end card IMO. The Vram limited ? well I have not exsperienced this condition as of yet myself but that is also why I only recomended this card for a max resolution of 1680x1050. 6870s for $130 well myself I did actually get a Powercolor 6870 for $135 in fact the GTX 560 SE is the replacement for that card because it was a POS and of poor quality and "Bricked" on me within three hrs of ownership and use in my rig & NCIX would not replace it so I received in store credit instead which I put toward the GTX 560 SE LOL.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Well first off I will say that you were never a problem. is GTX 560 SE a Low end card LOL ? I thought it to be a purely mid range card myself but 30fps in Metro 2033 Maxed on DX11 with Advanced Physx off is not bad at all for a low end card IMO. The Vram limited ? well I have not exsperienced this condition as of yet myself but that is also why I only recomended this card for a max resolution of 1680x1050. 6870s for $130 well myself I did actually get a Powercolor 6870 for $135 in fact the GTX 560 SE is the replacement for that card because it was a POS and of poor quality and "Bricked" on me within three hrs of ownership and use in my rig & NCIX would not replace it so I received in store credit instead which I put toward the GTX 560 SE LOL.
Well, I think I was a part of the problem. I shouldn't have talked down my nose at you for using a weaker card. I appreciate you saying that, though.

In any event, whether the card is low end or midrange is debatable and perhaps irrelevant.

If it does what you need it to, great. I might have gone with one as well at the price you paid. Yes the AMD cards are a touch faster, but I much prefer nVidia's drivers and developer relations as you pointed out.

I would say that the GTX 560 is a lower midrange or upper low end card right now. For most games you will be fine at the resolution you game at, though.

My next card will hopefully be twice as fast as my 7850. I don't think I will go with Crossfire.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Well, I think I was a part of the problem. I shouldn't have talked down my nose at you for using a weaker card. I appreciate you saying that, though.

In any event, whether the card is low end or midrange is debatable and perhaps irrelevant.

If it does what you need it to, great. I might have gone with one as well at the price you paid. Yes the AMD cards are a touch faster, but I much prefer nVidia's drivers and developer relations as you pointed out.

I would say that the GTX 560 is a lower midrange or upper low end card right now. For most games you will be fine at the resolution you game at, though.

My next card will hopefully be twice as fast as my 7850. I don't think I will go with Crossfire.
In that logic a GTX 570 is now a Mid range card but it seems weird to think that just because a new Top end range of cards came out that all the last Gen cards are now one tier lower however the game requirements have not changed so it's not a big deal and Max Payne 3 is optimized. I am now currently playing Age of Conan again and the game is completely maxed out and runs perfectly smooth at all times and it looks absolutely amazing and I am very surprised that this card is handling such a game so well and I am going to accredit the Nvidia Drivers on this one as the reasoning for the great performance.

Last edited:

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
In that logic a GTX 570 is now a Mid range card but it seems weird to think that just because a new Top end range of cards came out that all the last Gen cards are now one tier lower however the game requirements have not changed so it's not a big deal and Max Payne 3 is optimized. I am now currently playing Age of Conan again and the game is completely maxed out and runs perfectly smooth at all times and it looks absolutely amazing and I am very surprised that this card is handling such a game so well and I am going to accredit the Nvidia Drivers on this one as the reasoning for the great performance.
That's just the way things go; new things come out and it bumps the cards all down.

I think of the GTX 570 and the 7850 as upper midrange parts. When I bought my 7850 it was considered to be a weak high end card.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
That's just the way things go; new things come out and it bumps the cards all down.

I think of the GTX 570 and the 7850 as upper midrange parts. When I bought my 7850 it was considered to be a weak high end card.
It's the games that matter and they have not changed LOL as in when the new cards come out Metro 2033 and all the other old system hog games like Crysis 1 do not get harder to render they stay the same or drivers make them better easier to render. This is why my logic is always that the only good thing the newst cards bring is lower prices for the other cards before it LOL.

zijin_cheng

May 11, 2012
This thread is a disaster.

Gordon Freemen, stop editing out your posts. You went overdrive in removing your posts, and now the thread is hard to follow. Don't butcher your own thread. Also, in the future, try not to participate in the derail of your own thread.

borisvodofsky, "your work here is done"? I agree.
Do not come back to this thread anymore. You've thread-crapped, trolled, and spread your negative attitude in this thread enough.

blastingcap, your personal evaluations of the OP has no place in a public thread, you should know this by now (such as post #144 and some before it).

Infractions to follow as soon as I finish cleaning up this thread.

Moderator jvroig

No wonder, I was thinking, Gordon posted a review and was getting attacked by so many people even though his posts were so mild....

Arrr stop smiling! It's driving me crazy, pokerface :)

Anyways, on to some constructive comments, the 560se has some good framerates, but based on your other thread asking about the 560se, you were gonna overclock it.

Does it scale well? Also, I'm assuming you live either on Toronto or Vancouver, because 2 weeks ago I saw a 6870 for $153, I'm not quite sure how a 6870 compares to 560se

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
No wonder, I was thinking, Gordon posted a review and was getting attacked by so many people even though his posts were so mild....

Arrr stop smiling! It's driving me crazy, pokerface :)

Anyways, on to some constructive comments, the 560se has some good framerates, but based on your other thread asking about the 560se, you were gonna overclock it.

Does it scale well? Also, I'm assuming you live either on Toronto or Vancouver, because 2 weeks ago I saw a 6870 for $153, I'm not quite sure how a 6870 compares to 560se
They are mild I deleted the posts towards the "questionable" replies in this thread but all of my posting was in good taste but towards reply's that were not ..

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012

I got a stable max OC of 900Mhz on the core with a bit of extra voltage and I think it could have went a bit further but any OCing I did returned absolutely nothing as far as performance increases which is no surprise there because I have never owned an Nvidia card that gained performance when OCed. So ya the card OCs high but theres no point in it cause it gains nothing so this card will remain at stock clocks for the remainder of it's time in my rig. The 6870 scores 4200 3D marks and the 560 SE Scores 3270 3D Marks but nvidias drivers are better.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
Gordon,

Do you see that little + button next to the quote button on the bottom of posts? That allows for multiple quoting in a single post. Start using it

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Gordon,

Do you see that little + button next to the quote button on the bottom of posts? That allows for multiple quoting in a single post. Start using it
Thanx for the info but I choose to split the question up no point in editing it now seems people don't like it when I edit my own posting :)

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Thanks for the review. I wasn't even aware the card existed.

I have to join the others though, Ive seen Powercolor 6870's going for $135 in Canada lately AR, and please don't say Powercooler is no good. They have been around forever, and are totally fine for the majority of people out there.

I also just purchased a 5870 for $100 Shipped for my 2nd Intel rig, no joke. (90% performance of a stock 7850)

There are better options out there in this price range.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Thanks for the review. I wasn't even aware the card existed.

I have to join the others though, Ive seen Powercolor 6870's going for $135 in Canada lately AR, and please don't say Powercooler is no good. They have been around forever, and are totally fine for the majority of people out there.

I also just purchased a 5870 for $100 Shipped for my 2nd Intel rig, no joke. (90% performance of a stock 7850)

There are better options out there in this price range.
This 560 SE is the replacement for one of them "killer" $135 Powercolor 6870 deals when the card was DOA it is not a great deal at all it is a Powercolor scam for trying to get rid of Defective low quality product read my comments on my RMAed Powercolor 6870 here ----> http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=57118#CustomerReviews
Also that $135 deal was only on Open Boxed cards with problems.

PowercolorRMA.jpg
Powercolor6870invoice.jpg

Last edited:

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
This 560 SE is the replacement for one of them "killer" $135 Powercolor 6870 deals when the card was DOA it is not a great deal at all it is a Powercolor scam for trying to get rid of Defective low quality product read my comments on my RMAed Powercolor 6870 here ----> http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=57118#CustomerReviews
Also that $135 deal was only on Open Boxed cards with problems.

Well I'm sorry you got a dud. That doesn't at all mean Powercolor is scamming you.

Last month I bought a WD Black 250GB 2.5" hard drive to use in a USB 3 Enclosure. It was DOA. Should I now go online and say WD is scamming people? It was on sale too. No difference.

I have used 4-5 Powercolor 6870s in builds and they all work fine.

Your opinion on ONE card does not equal a Scam.

And NCIX has had that 135 deal on at least 5 times since Christmas on new cards.

Edit: For example, NCIX today has a REGULAR 560 on sale for $139.99. Its on there home page. With free shipping. they also have a 6850 on sale for $130 with No rebates.

I'm not fighting with you at all, I appreciate your input. I just think you could have done better for your money.

Last edited:

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
One dud card does not a statistic make.

6870 at 135$ is a godsend for most people.
The deal was $135 for a "Refurbished OPEN BOXED" Powercolor 6870 that obviously had problems and were defective and no a card that is broken of DOA is never a good deal.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Well I'm sorry you got a dud. That doesn't at all mean Powercolor is scamming you.

Last month I bought a WD Black 250GB 2.5" hard drive to use in a USB 3 Enclosure. It was DOA. Should I now go online and say WD is scamming people? It was on sale too. No difference.

I have used 4-5 Powercolor 6870s in builds and they all work fine.

Your opinion on ONE card does not equal a Scam.

And NCIX has had that 135 deal on at least 5 times since Christmas on new cards.

Edit: For example, NCIX today has a REGULAR 560 on sale for $139.99. Its on there home page. With free shipping. they also have a 6850 on sale for $130 with No rebates.

I'm not fighting with you at all, I appreciate your input. I just think you could have done better for your money.
NCIX has never sold a brand new factory fresh 6870 for $135 brand new LOL that $135 6870 was only ever for a dud USED REFURBISHED and OPEN BOXED only Powercolor 6870 and I was not about to getting another low class radeon card so I just went with a card from EVGA because I have never been let down by EVGA.

Last edited:

turn_pike

Mar 4, 2012
Reading comprehension FTL.
One card does not a statistic make.
You make a general statement about Radeon / Powercolor cards from ONE sample.

6870 do go down to that price level during sales. I receive daily emails for newegg deals and have seen it go down to 130$ (with a 30$ MIR). For 130$ I would certainly recommend the 6850/6870.

That said ... wtf, I bought 6870 for 170U$ last year and they included Dirt 3. It wasnt even a sales price. A year later and things are still the same

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Reading comprehension FTL.
One card does not a statistic make.
You make a general statement about Radeon / Powercolor cards from ONE sample.

We are talking NCIX here not Newegg and my Credit note from NCIX was not redeemable forever so I could not wait 6 months for the last brand new UNOPENED 6870 to drop to $135. PS why is your posting blacked out LOL ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.