GTX 480 question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
yes but the way you worded it still indicated that you thought just the temps on the cards were indicating how much heat was getting released in to the room.
I guarantee you I would have been happier and less sweaty LOL back in summer 09 with one well ventilated GTX 480 vs my not so well ventilated 4890s in Crossfire. Plus the 4890 were extremely noise cards and the bottom one was literally 1/8 of an inch from the bottom of my case which at the time which was the old style one with PSU mounted on the top which made the GPU fan about twice as noise and the card plenty more hot.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
If you're getting a 480 PLEASE put it on water. I had 480's in TRI back in the summer last year and my room was 80+ degrees when gaming until i put them on water.

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
Gordon, I don't live in a shoebox, but I do game in my office which is a 14'*12' area. I don't live in Canada where you guys don't regularly see temps in the 90 degree F. area, in fact last year we had 44 days of 100+ temps so when your a/c is doing all it can do to keep your house under 80 during summer heat, running 2xGTX 480s in your "shoebox" + 3 monitors and a 55" plasma can get it cooking. Like I said, with a good cooler the 480 is a keeper, with a reference card stacked in SLI its damn near possible to bake old 8800gtx's in your case.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Gordon, I don't live in a shoebox, but I do game in my office which is a 14'*12' area. I don't live in Canada where you guys don't regularly see temps in the 90 degree F. area, in fact last year we had 44 days of 100+ temps so when your a/c is doing all it can do to keep your house under 80 during summer heat, running 2xGTX 480s in your "shoebox" + 3 monitors and a 55" plasma can get it cooking. Like I said, with a good cooler the 480 is a keeper, with a reference card stacked in SLI its damn near possible to bake old 8800gtx's in your case.
I don't know Imperial measurement cause in Canada we use the modern meteric system like the rest of the world LOL but I tell you one thing it gets hot as hell here in the summer and in the southern Alberta it is a Hot Desert type of climate in the summer complete with rattlers and all LOL

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I don't know Imperial measurement cause in Canada we use the modern meteric system like the rest of the world LOL but I tell you one thing it gets hot as hell here in the summer and in the southern Alberta it is a Hot Desert type of climate in the summer complete with rattlers and all LOL

+40C! I used to live in Dallas and when he says 44 days straight above 100F he means continuous. ie, At midnight still +100 degrees.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Think long and hard before you pick up a GTX480, no matter how cheap it is. This thing is a furnace that whines like a banshee, even in a well-ventilated case with a very low room temperature.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
If you're getting a 480 PLEASE put it on water. I had 480's in TRI back in the summer last year and my room was 80+ degrees when gaming until i put them on water.

Placebo effect? Assuming wattage stayed constant, that amount of heat is going into your room no matter what. Water cooling is good at pulling heat out of your case and dumping it into your room faster than air cooling. Either way, that wattage will be going into your room.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Placebo effect? Assuming wattage stayed constant, that amount of heat is going into your room no matter what. Water cooling is good at pulling heat out of your case and dumping it into your room faster than air cooling. Either way, that wattage will be going into your room.
Thanx for clearing that up ;-)

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011

Most Likely. :biggrin: