Gtx 480 memory sink fell off. Does it matter?

May 13, 2009
Installed an accellero xtreme cooler on my gtx 480. It came with separate sinks for the memory and vrms. All the little aluminum sinks stayed on except one of the memory sinks which fell off when I was installing the card back in the system. Is it a big deal? I'm lazy and don't feel like taking it back apart for one memory sink as long as its not a big deal. If I have to I will.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Installed an accellero xtreme cooler on my gtx 480. It came with separate sinks for the memory and vrms. All the little aluminum sinks stayed on except one of the memory sinks which fell off when I was installing the card back in the system. Is it a big deal? I'm lazy and don't feel like taking it back apart for one memory sink as long as its not a big deal. If I have to I will.

Yes, I would fix that soon.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I would put it back on. Those things can get crazy hot and it really wouldn't be worth killing the card over being lazy.

Then again I take my rig apart for the hell of it so don't listen to me.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Little super glue should do the trick :p. But yes I would agree with everyone else.

May 13, 2009
Thanks. I probably needed to take it apart anyways and see how the rest of the sinks are holding up.

hdfxst

May 13, 2009
i'd be worried about another one falling off and shorting something out.when i did mine i used alcohol then a pencil eraser and heated the thermal tape with a hair drier.I thought i was going to rip the memory chips off when i removed them 2 years later