GTX 465 Drastically Overheating

Seripha

Jul 17, 2012
So, I bought a GTX 465 a couple of years ago, and right out of the gate I noticed it ran far hotter than any cards I had in the past. I downloaded nVidia's management console and was able to kick the fan speed up when playing games to keep the temperature down as much as possible.

Recently, I bought an extra monitor and hooked it into the video card, and my overheating issues amplified exponentially. I realized I was in trouble when my video card was running at 105 degrees celsius when idling. Yes, idling. I had to kick the fan speed way up just to get it to idle in the 80s.

I've done some research, and it sounds like I'm not the only one that has had issues with this card. However, I don't think that is normal for it to run THIS hot, even for nVidia. Has anybody had similar problems? And I would greatly appreciate some recommendations for a new video card, as I plan on buying one as soon as possible. Preferably something that runs exceptionally cool. :)

Thanks!

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
So, I bought a GTX 465 a couple of years ago, and right out of the gate I noticed it ran far hotter than any cards I had in the past. I downloaded nVidia's management console and was able to kick the fan speed up when playing games to keep the temperature down as much as possible.

Recently, I bought an extra monitor and hooked it into the video card, and my overheating issues amplified exponentially. I realized I was in trouble when my video card was running at 105 degrees celsius when idling. Yes, idling. I had to kick the fan speed way up just to get it to idle in the 80s.

I've done some research, and it sounds like I'm not the only one that has had issues with this card. However, I don't think that is normal for it to run THIS hot, even for nVidia. Has anybody had similar problems? And I would greatly appreciate some recommendations for a new video card, as I plan on buying one as soon as possible. Preferably something that runs exceptionally cool. :)

Thanks!

Jesus that is hot,clogged with dust maybe?,give it a good blowout.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Not knowing what your specs are,its hard to give a recommendation.but if its cool and quietish you are after the coolers on the saphire cards asus and gigabyte are quite impressive.

Last edited:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
@Seripha

Time to take the card out of the PC, get one of those soft tipped paint brushes (right sized) and clean out the dust, and use a vacum cleaner afterwards, so the card ends up looking good as new.

Another thing to check, is the cooling solution is still firmly in place.

Some people will take off the shroud and put it back on, if they have the right tools, and check the thermal grease and aton of other things, but thats beyound most people.

If you cleaned it, and its still not funktioning as it should be, its time to RMA it.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I will agree your temperatures are extremely high, something is not right with the heatsink/contact paste, or your fan is having trouble keeping up. Check all that first, as it probably needs to be cleaned.

As far as your problem becoming worse with the extra monitor, that is to be expected. The card will no longer go to it's old idle clock frequencies, rather it will speed down to about half of it's normal clock speed. This happens when you have two monitors running different resolutions and/or refresh rates. I'm not sure how often you use your secondary monitor, but you can try disabling it when it is not in use to save on heat output/energy so the card will clock down to a lower idle clockspeed. A shortcut for this in Windows 7 is Win+P.

Good luck, hopefully a good cleaning will solve your heat issues.

Plimogz

Oct 3, 2009
@Seripha

Time to take the card out of the PC, get one of those soft tipped paint brushes (right sized) and clean out the dust, and use a vacum cleaner afterwards, so the card ends up looking good as new.

Just don't static zap your card while vacuuming away every last harmless speck of dust.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I cant believe dust would cause the card to run that hot. my gtx260 never went up on temps for the 3 years I had it and the heatsink was caked with dust when I removed the plastic shroud.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Just don't static zap your card while vacuuming away every last harmless speck of dust.
its a video card not ram block :)

And Ive yet to see anyone "zap" a ram block personally
(though most people know well enough to ground themselfs first).

So Im halfways to believeing that "zaping" ram is just a urban myth.
That said, ive personally cleaned out my pc many times (and my brothers), and dusted things and Ive used a vacum cleaner near things and Ive never had anything "die" on me from it. My dad cleans out his pc the same way, and hasnt had any issues either.

So useing a vacumcleaner to get rid of dust build up, very safe, and better than letting dust build up in a pc.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
i had a 6800 gt that ran 80c idle,100+ gaming,a good clean dropped temps drastically.i have someone who hoovers now so i dont think its gonna get quite that bad again.:D