GTX 295 Windows 7 64 bit - Stuck in 3D mode

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
Latest official 195.62 WHQL

Once the 3D settings have been changed in nVidia control panel it will not throttle the clocks down into 2D mode.

Vista 64 bit has no such issue.

Using GPU-Z v0.3.8 to monitor clock frequency.

Can anyone else with the same hardware/software confirm if they have the same problem?

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Vista and 7 are ALWAYS in 3d mode unless Vista downshifts into xp graphical compatibility mode.

The whole reason the graphics model in Vista changed from XP's was to make the jump into the modern 3d world.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
I am talking about the clock throttling when no 3D application is open. Hybrid power or whatever its called.

When on the desktop the clocks shift to 300/100 for core and memory.

When in 3D application clocks shift up to 576/1000 for core and memory.

This is all good in Vista, when i switched to 7 the clocks stay at 576/1000 even when on the desktop. This is causing the GPU to run warmer and the fan is spinning quicker. This is not how the card should be operating.

Last edited:

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
It's usually a driver bug that causes that. I use 191.07 and both GPUs of my 295 are 300/100 at the desktop. I have it set at maximum performance as well.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
Is that just down the driver version or can a fucked install contribute to it?

I restored my Vista 64 image and everything is fine.

I did notice image tear when i dragged windows from left to right on the Windows 7 desktop. It is perfectly fine in Vista so the driver is definitely stuck in its so called '3D mode' on 7.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Is that just down the driver version or can a fucked install contribute to it?

I restored my Vista 64 image and everything is fine.

I did notice image tear when i dragged windows from left to right on the Windows 7 desktop. It is perfectly fine in Vista so the driver is definitely stuck in its so called '3D mode' on 7.
what does tearing on the desktop have to do with the clocks being stuck in 3d? I get tearing when my gtx260 is at 2d clocks and always have because that has no effect on anything except the speed of the card.

anyway several different things can keep the card from downclocking including having photo viewer open or gpuz running.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
I only experienced tearing on 3D apps that's why.

Reformatted and installed the 191.07 driver. Seems to have fixed the issue, also using an older version of GPU-Z.

I still get the tearing on the desktop, on Vista this did not happen. I'll put it down to a characteristic of the drivers.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Use Riva tuner and get it to autodownclock at startup then use the tray launcher (or hotkey) to go to full 3d when you need to.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Open Task Manager and see if wmplayer.exe is running. Vista (and 7) loves to run it in the background and it sometimes triggers 3D frequency on my GTX.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Oh and Aero. If Aero is disabled (Desktop composition) then tearing is much worse.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Oh and Aero. If Aero is disabled (Desktop composition) then tearing is much worse.
I had turned aero off because I thought it might cause issues with some games. I didnt even know having it off would have anything to do with all the tearing I was having for movies and other stuff. thanks for posting that info.

Last edited:

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
Vista and 7 are ALWAYS in 3d mode unless Vista downshifts into xp graphical compatibility mode.

The whole reason the graphics model in Vista changed from XP's was to make the jump into the modern 3d world.

yeah but my GTX275 don't have that problem :! it clocks down to save power. Must be Driver issue with SLI.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I had turned aero off because I thought it might cause issues with some games. I didnt even know having it off would have anything to do with all the tearing I was having for movies and other stuff. thanks for posting that info.

Aero is disabled during gaming automatically.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Aero is disabled during gaming automatically.
yeah but I thought there was an issue on some games still getting screwed up. I have seen users recommend that you disable desktop composition in its properties for some games. anyway I will just take it on a game by game basis and do that if necessary.

Last edited: