GTX 295 that hot?

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
I have a GTX 295 in for testing and its idling at around 68C inside the case. Under full load when both GPU's are being used it has risen as high as 91C.

Looking at benchmark sites they have tested the card at idle around high 40's and load high 70's. Similar to a GTX 280 although i suppose the tests are taken when the kit is running on a bench.

Is this normal for a 295? The card seems stable but the heat is concerning me a little.

starams5

May 7, 2009
Are you using RivaTuner or similar app to increase you fan speed? EVGA Precision is good also.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
I am letting the drivers deal with the hardware.

I was just alarmed at the idle temps. I will Furmark the bad boy and see where i am at.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Stock fan profiles aren't the best... for stressing you may just want to set it at 60-80% and leave it there.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
Ran Furmarks intensive burn and after about 5 minutes the card was topping out at 105C. It would not get hotter than this as the clocks are obviously throttled. I did not test stability as there was no way i am letting this thing run 105C inside the case.

Fan was at 100% so i think there is something wrong with this card. No card should heat up to these inhumane levels. Case used was Akasa Mirage-62.

starams5

May 7, 2009
I usually stay out of the video card section because I'm not too good with the video card thing. But it don't take an expert to see that 105c is far too hot, curious what is your ambient? If you're getting those temps with the fans@100% then you definitely have a problem. I would first check for a firmware update at the manufactures website, most firmware updates address fan related issues amongst other thing. Also try removing the side panel and aim a house fan in that direction. If your temps are much better with the side panel off then you know you have an air flow problem inside the case and may want to consider installing higher RPM case fans. You could just as easily have a bad card but try the above first and see what happens.

geoffry

Sep 3, 2007
One thing to keep in mind is that furmark is INSANELY intensive. It makes my 9800GX2 do temps about 20 celsius higher than any other game.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
I pulled the side panel off and the temps saw 103C but took longer to get there. I quit after about 10 minutes.

One thing i noticed is that GPUZ reports GPU1 and GPU2 at different temperatures:

Click me!

About 8C difference.

starams5

May 7, 2009
I checked your link and your GPU temps are not that bad for air cooling, not the best either. Like geoffry said this might be a case of "furmark is INSANELY intensive".

imported_Shaq

Sep 24, 2004
91C is high. I would adjust your fan speed manually before gaming and try to keep the temps under 80C at least, preferably 75C. I wouldn't run Furmark with it at all. It will cause problems. Some aftermarket GPU heatsink manufacturers even tell you that you shouldn't run Furmark for long periods. The benchmark only takes a minute or so and that is okay. My old 9800GX2 would reach 90C in one minute with fan speed at 100%, but in gaming it stayed around 75-80C which is normal.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Defective card, or defective card design.

You should never ever be seeing 105C (throttling point), even under GPU stresstesting like Furmark IMO.
The fans should be able to prevent that high temps, except it kinda sounds like the overheating i got with my first two GTX 280s.

What games have you tested for seeing how high you can get temps?

Sentry2

Mar 21, 2005
Those temps are normal. I had a pair of 295's and they ran HOT. I could get them to run in the high 70's with the fans cranked up(100%) but games like Crysis would still push temps well into the 80's/ low 90's and Furmark was pretty much a no go. 100+ C is not my cup of tea. :cool: Even replacing the stock thermal paste with MX-2 didn't make much of a difference. Stock 295 fans move a LOT of air...which of course brings noise. I take it you have a 295 sandwich edition? :p This 285 is sitting at a nice 38c under load @ 1.25v @ 800MHz. :beer:

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
High 80's for gaming. Furmark really pushed it and to be honest i am not comfortable with the temperatures.

It is a dual PCB design.

Either some changes to the cooling system or back to a single card.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
Received a single PCB 295 today and the temps are much better.

Furmark after 5 minutes of intensive burn saw one GPU hit 94C and the other 86C which is better than the last effort.

I still need to revise the cooling set up, although it has been baking hot these past couple of days and that will not help.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
Well 94C is hot, but the dual PCB went all the way up to 105C and started to throttle its clocks. If it could have gone higher then it would and i think something might be wrong with it.

Single PCB stopped at 94C.

Gaming it never rose above 80C with COD 5 running @ 2560x1600 4xx (no AA transparency).

As always, thanks for your input folks.