GTX 260 vs HD 4870

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eluros

Jul 7, 2008
Here's a question that should be fairly on topic: are there any ATI companies whose warranties cover overclocking? EVGA allows you to overclock your cards, and gives you a lifetime warranty, which is pretty valuable if you want to take some risks. Are there any board partners for the 4870 that give you something similar?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Eluros
Here's a question that should be fairly on topic: are there any ATI companies whose warranties cover overclocking? EVGA allows you to overclock your cards, and gives you a lifetime warranty, which is pretty valuable if you want to take some risks. Are there any board partners for the 4870 that give you something similar?

See, now THAT is a very good point...

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Nope. The best ATI vendor is Visiontek and although they have a lifetime warranty, they don't offer anything like a Step Up program, transferable lifetime warranty or overclocking/modding. This is one area where the Nvidia vendors have ATI beat hands down.

Eluros

Jul 7, 2008
Nope. The best ATI vendor is Visiontek and although they have a lifetime warranty, they don't offer anything like a Step Up program, transferable lifetime warranty or overclocking/modding. This is one area where the Nvidia vendors have ATI beat hands down.

So, with that being said, how about this...

If you're going to overclock, go EVGA GTX 260.

If you're going to go stock, got HD 4870.

Does that sound about right?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
See, now THAT is a very good point...

Why, thank you! Glad I could bring something new and constructive to the conversation. :)

Sorry, I hit post instead of cancel before I went off the the various manufacturers' websites to look up their warranty info. None of them specifically mentioned anything about overclocking, however other than the term "misuse", none of them also specified overclocking as a void of warranty.

Eluros

Jul 7, 2008
SunnyD,

Sorry, I hit post instead of cancel before I went off the the various manufacturers' websites to look up their warranty info. None of them specifically mentioned anything about overclocking, however other than the term "misuse", none of them also specified overclocking as a void of warranty.

If you're wondering whether EVGA covers Overclocking...

Official EVGA Technician:
Warranty will not be void if you do overclock any of our products. If you throw against a wall - that's a different story ... (it voids it).
http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=492595

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
SunnyD,

If you're wondering whether EVGA covers Overclocking...

Official EVGA Technician:
Warranty will not be void if you do overclock any of our products. If you throw against a wall - that's a different story ... (it voids it).
http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=492595

Sorry, my reply implied ATI vendors. I love EVGA's policies, though they're the exception to the rule.