Question GTX 1080TI Founder Addition Replacement?

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Wow! I haven't been paying attention to the graphics card world for some time now and by the looks of it, I wish I didn't have to! I'm in a bit of an odd situation so any suggestions will be much appreciated..

I currently run a GTX 1080ti for light gaming. I recently decided to convert it to my HTPC and discovered it's somehow defective and generates a loud feedback/high-pitched static noise. Kinda like a severe feedback loop. The odd part is this only happens when connecting it to my AV equipment via HDMI or display port. I have replaced every component trying to narrow down the culprit and I'm not 100% sure it's the card. I was fortunate enough to borrow a similar card from a friend that generated zero interference noise when installed. So now, I need to replace the card at what looks like the worst time ever. The card works great in a traditional setup, just not when using for an HTPC. :mad:

What card will allow for 4K UHD playback, have enough power for light gaming AND not cost $3,000! Any suggestions?

When I say light gaming I'm referring to the newest Buldars Gate release and other titles like it. (I know, don't laugh)

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
You might want to try troubleshooting for a ground loop.

One simple test is plugging the monitor, AV equipment, and HTPC on the same outlet to see if the hum is eliminated.

I've spent days eliminating ground loops from my system. This is different and it seems others have experienced the same problem with the same card. Unfortunately for me, it's now out of warranty. Others have RMA'd and got a working replacement.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Probably less expensive to get a better case that will dampen the sound than to get a new card right now. A new card that's less powerful that a 1080 Ti will probably cost as much or more than you paid for that 1080 Ti back in the day.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, if it isn't a ground loop, I don't know what else you can do other than contact the manufacturer. Even with the warranty possibly being over, it may still be covered as a manufacturing defect (also, depending on how you purchased the card, you might have extended protection as some credit cards provide for that). Again, worth looking into at least, especially since the alternative is to be able to camp out at least 2 nights a week in front of your local electronics store in the hopes of getting one the next day, and/or pay the scalpers (which I refuse to do since it just encourages the behavior).

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
You can get an entry level/mid range card (RTX 3070) with only 8GB for around $1200 right now, so a decent 1080p card. That's probably cheaper than the next gen RTX 4070 will be. I expect mid range cards to always be at least around $1500+ from now on, so the longer you wait the more you'll pay. The prices will continue to increase every generation until the only guy who can afford a GPU will be Jensen Huang, so you better get on the ball.

• Haha
Reactions: legcramp and CP5670

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
You can get an entry level/mid range card (RTX 3070) with only 8GB for around $1200 right now, so a decent 1080p card. That's probably cheaper than the next gen RTX 4070 will be. I expect mid range cards to always be at least around $1500+ from now on, so the longer you wait the more you'll pay. The prices will continue to increase every generation until the only guy who can afford a GPU will be Jensen Huang, so you better get on the ball.

I'm assuming you're being your usual hyperbolic self here, but in case not, this is bad advice in my opinion. If you yourself haven't decided to buy now yet it's pretty obvious you don't even really believe it.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
1660 Super can probably hold you off.
Im not sure how it will do in baulders gate, but i assume not going to run it with full options ticked.

They run about 500ish... its probably enough to hold you off until the prices stabilize sometime next year.
But prices are not going to get any better until intel starts pumping gpu's out.
TSMC has officially declared they will stick a 10 foot silicon pole in all the vendors butt and overcharge them moving forward because they can.

But 1a 1660Super will easily do 4k playback with 6gb of ram, wont break your wallet too much until you hit maybe the Newegg shuffle once to ideally score you a 3070 RTX.

Or you can go step two... pay AMD the I HATE YOU fee, and try to secure a 6600 XT / 6700XT for 700-900ish....

My highest recommendation is probably the 1660 Super route until prices taper off, and then grabbing a 3070 when they hit close to retail ~ 700 dollars.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
TSMC has officially declared they will stick a 10 foot silicon pole in all the vendors butt and overcharge them moving forward because they can.
LOL... yeah. Basically.

Thought I don't know if that's really "overcharging". TSMC's "Gross Margins" had dropped below 50%. I think Intel's are 64-65%. Plus, there's the water shortage in Taiwan, they have to build some water-filtration plant(s), and expand capacity. Plus they're setting up a fab in the USA, I think. So they're fairly-well justified in raising the rates for the wafers that their customers buy. Even though that means higher end-user pricing for the products containing them. (Along with everything else raising the prices over the last two years!)

My highest recommendation is probably the 1660 Super route until prices taper off
That's really about the only reasonably (?) -priced GPU, with reasonably decent (?) performance. Unless you can get a 3060ti / 3070ti for MSRP. (GL with that!)

Or, oh yeah, the RX 6600XT.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
EDIT on the last post...

I see its only when you AUDIO OUT....

Kill HDMI audio in audio settings, and run the audio to the TV VIA DAC.

Something like this guy:

Or run the optical from your PC to the Amp and do it that way.

Last edited: