GTX 1060 White Casting/Tinting Screen

GIS

Mar 24, 2016
Since someone on the main GTX 1060 thread suggested me to start a new thread so that my issues can get more exposure and hopefully get them addressed.

I received my 1060 yesterday, and when I try to setup my wallpaper (I usually get high quality photos from interfacelift), the images appeared washed-out to me...I downloaded the same images I previously used and I remember they look much sharper on my 5 year old HD 6950. I see some white tinting effects on images, web browsing, and just everything in general. Any ideas what's going on? I don't know how to tweet the GPU to make images look sharper and just more colorful for lack of a better word.

I have not change my monitor settings, and I'm 100% certain because when I log onto my school website, landscapes/people look bland too me, things looks like lost color saturation or something.

This will have a huge impact on indie games since graphic is one of their main selling points.

Also, when I try to play league of legends, whenever I cast skill-shots, there will be white boxes appearing and zooming out. Can someone look into what's going on? I've record a video on my phone so maybe you guys can help me out on the color loss and bugs.

Thanks!

Edit: Figure I have forgot to tell you guys, I fresh install everything, wiped out my SSD and reinstall Windows 7, and league also fresh install. I've ask ppl in game, and they ask my power supply may cause these issues, but I don't think so because I'm using a 750W Corsair PSU. Should be more than enough.

GIS

Mar 24, 2016
What cable / port? Heard a lot that the default Nvidia settings for HDMI are washed out so maybe some setting isn't right.

HDMI to DVI, I have a HDMI to HDMI cable so if that's what it takes.

Also, it appears to me that it is a driver issues when I use skill-shots there are white boxes zooming out in League. Never expect nVidia would have driver issues...I will try to fix the color loss from your article.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Also, when I try to play league of legends, whenever I cast skill-shots, there will be white boxes appearing and zooming out.

That looks like some texture that should be transparent isn't. Its probably from a spell effect and semi-transparent which is why its a huge rectangle that expands outward (think particles flying away). They probably made sprites instead of particles for increased performance, but for some reason its not loading them and thus showing the rectangle.

I'd try a driver re-install if it doesn't go away. Try DDU if you haven't already and then install the latest, or maybe few weeks ago drivers in case its a recent issue with the last ones.

Sounds like it might be a 16bit vs 32bit color mode as well, which would lead me to believe the card is outputing to the monitor at only 16bit which might be the cause for the other issues.

See this video for how to fix it in the game config file, might fix your white issue as well:

GIS

Mar 24, 2016
.Sounds like it might be a 16bit vs 32bit color mode as well, which would lead me to believe the card is outputing to the monitor at only 16bit which might be the cause for the other issues.

Thanks for the help! That article on how to correctly setup HDMI colour is useful, am wondering why HDMI has such issues?

Also, I updated my driver to latest 372.54 published on August 15, it helps to clear the bugs in League. Am also wondering why the July 2016 driver does not work, league is a 7 year old game, which annouced in 2009, why do I need the latest driver to play league without bugs?

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Thanks for the help! That article on how to correctly setup HDMI colour is useful, am wondering why HDMI has such issues?

Also, I updated my driver to latest 372.54 published on August 15, it helps to clear the bugs in League. Am also wondering why the July 2016 driver does not work, league is a 7 year old game, which annouced in 2009, why do I need the latest driver to play league without bugs?

It isn't a game bug. It's explained in the information Bacon1 provided for you. It is the way Nvidia interprets an HDMI to HDTV connection. And, at any rate, you should always run the latest drivers for your hardware.
Did this information help you? Or is your screen still washed out. I saw the video and that looked horrible. I hope you have cleared that up.

/cheers.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Which "July 2016" driver did you have? The GTX 1060 was released July 19th, so any driver before that may not support the card.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
What the..... I didn't catch that. If he just got the card yesterday (Aug 16th) and went to Nvidia's site to download the latest drivers, he should have been prompted with the August 15th driver for sure.

Unless he downloaded a previous driver in "preperation" for the arrival of his 1060. That is possible. I'll visit the driver section on NV's site and have a look-see.

Ah he must of somehow downloaded the July 14th driver for some reason, but I don't see how the newer driver wasn't available as of yesterday. Same drivers for Win 7 or Win 10.

1060-win764-drivers_zpshi6dwv53.jpg

Last edited:

GIS

Mar 24, 2016
Which "July 2016" driver did you have? The GTX 1060 was released July 19th, so any driver before that may not support the card.

368.81 was released on July 14th, so that's the one I got. It's all good now after I install the latest driver and tweet with the HDMI colour thingy. Thanks all!

I didn't know HDMI has issues with colors and whatnot.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
368.81 was released on July 14th, so that's the one I got. It's all good now after I install the latest driver and tweet with the HDMI colour thingy. Thanks all!

I didn't know HDMI has issues with colors and whatnot.

It could also be that you're using HDMI to DVI adapter or cable. I dunno. But glad you have it resolved.