Question GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5 vs. GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 - Which one to keep, which one to give away?

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Hi folks,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma... I have the two cards mentioned in the headline, and am trying to decide which one to keep.
The keeper will go inside a gaming computer built around a Ryzen 3600X. Strictly for 1080p play, nothing too fancy...
The other one will most likely be sold to cover expenses :(

It used to be that the original GTX 1650 4GB (with GDDR5) was much worse than the 1060 3GB (also GDDR5).

But since Nvidia updated the entry-level card to GDDR6, things seem to have changed significantly.
I've been looking at various comparisons, but most reviews and benchmarking sites ignore the difference between the GDDR5 and GDDR6 when they discuss the 1650.

But there are a few instances where the difference is accounted for.
Here's a game round-up which shows the GDDR6 1650 beating its 3GB older sibling:

There's also the classic GPU hierarchy at Tom's Hardware, which shows the two cards have nearly identical rating score, with the budget card on top:

I'm also trying to be mindful of other factors... Here's an previous discussion in this forum, on whether 3GB is enough for current gaming needs:

Finally, I'm thinking that if the GDDR6-equipped 1650 is better or at least equal to the 3GB 1060, I can probably sell the older card much easier (and for more money), based on popular recognition alone.

So... what do you think? I'm adding a poll as well, just to make things easier if you don't want to write a long reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER