GTS450 reviews including SLI

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tincart

Apr 15, 2010
A new nV release and every thread on the subject will be taken over by happy medium again.

At the time of the GTX 460 release there were threads where happy medium contributed 50% of the posts.

A new nV release thread isn't a new reason to be allowed to troll. -Admin DrPizza

tincart edit: I'm not willing to deal with moderators defending the trolls here. Goodbye AT forums.

Last edited:

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
It's a much larger chip that Juniper. If they priced it at $100, AMD would just drop the 57xx series to $100 and AMD would still be making a profit while Nvidia would likely be losing money.

With that kind of die size disadvantage, a price war isn't going to benefit Nvidia. AMD can drop much more easily and make money.

Well, at the moment it's:
HD5750: $105AR/$120
HD5770: $125AR/$140
GTS450: $130
(lowest price after rebate/lowest non-rebate price - from Newegg)

So IMO they need to do some price dropping already. Price is directly between the 5750 and 5770 non-rebate cards, but after rebates the 5770 is a much better deal, and the 450 needs to be more like $115.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I didn't know that the HD 57x0 had the Gray Screen issue, AFAIK it was limited to the HD 5800 series due to low GPU Vcore issues at idle, and from the GTX 260 to a overclocked HD 5750 is a sidegrade, :confused:

Side grade that I made 75$ on. :) and scored a direct x 11 card with.
I also have a crossfire motherboard and I was kinda hoping to try that.

And yes , my card had the grey screen crash problems also.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Well, at the moment it's:
HD5750: $105AR/$120
HD5770: $125AR/$140
GTS450: $130
(lowest price after rebate/lowest non-rebate price - from Newegg)

So IMO they need to do some price dropping already. Price is directly between the 5750 and 5770 non-rebate cards, but after rebates the 5770 is a much better deal, and the 450 needs to be more like $115.

You mean 115$ after rebate right? for the gts450.
Without rebate it's priced just about right for the numbers I've seen.

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009
GTX450 SLI MSI (Micro Stutter Inside)o_O

[H]ardOCP Concludes:
To say that the GeForce GTS 450 is a disappointment would be an accurate summary of our feelings on this GPU. It simply does not offer anything new to the table in comparison to the Radeon HD 5750 and Radeon HD 5770. After the winning stroke that was the GeForce GTX 460, the GTS 450 leaves us with the impression that NVIDIA just doesn’t have its heart in the game with this one.
Ouch.:\

Last edited:

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
now bring on the gts455!

With a couple driver updates this card will have 5770 performance, run cooler and be more quiet also. It does use 8 more watts though.

The gtx460 just got some boosts on it's second driver, the same will happen for this card.
New 260 series driver ......
driver2.jpg

Yikes. You need to give the nVidia humping and spread of misinformation/ false information a rest. Those drivers are causing numerous issues for a lot of gamers who have tried them. While the green bars showing notable %'s is a great marketing gimmick, your post completely ignores the reality of the situation with drivers that nVidia has put out for the 460.

1) One set since launch of the 460
2) Delays for an update
3) Delays
4) Delays

It would be a nice change to have one of your posts not bleed green all over my screen. I think it's pretty low to come in here and post marketing FUD to promote your chosen green team. It does no good for anybody to put up that kind of junk when the WHQL's are still sitting at 258.96 on nVidia's site and your graph is likely spun from nVidia's own marketing department.

That being said i'm hoping for good things from nVidia's next driver set, though I wouldn't expect to have the card pimped to me on false information.

The 450 may satisfy some HTPC owners who are loyal to nVidia and need the bitstreaming with less heat and $$$ than the 460 while still retaining gaming playability at 1280x720. Looks overall weak though, AMD already has been at that price and performance for a year.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Watch this video comparing 460 SLI to 5870 to see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g1vVJTGdtU

Not trying to dispute that SLi 460 may stutter, but from that video you linked, both setups are clearly stuttering/inadequate.

Look at the left screen in the first 25 seconds. 5870 clearly isn't running the game smoothly either. That's not a surprise considering both are barely breaking 30fps in a FPS. I remember playing Crysis at 1920x1080 2AA in that exact area and my 4890 would do 28-31 fps, stutter fest. Personally, I found 45 fps the bare minimum in Crysis to achieve anything one can call smooth.

As far as GTS450 goes, I still prefer the 5770 over it. However, with so few $$ between them and the 460 768mb, I'd skip eating out a couple of times to get 40%+ performance increase. Both GTS450/5770 just show how much better the 460 768mb is!

Last edited:

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
A new nV release and every thread on the subject will be taken over by happy medium again.

At the time of the GTX 460 release there were threads where happy medium contributed 50% of the posts.

A new nV release thread isn't a new reason to be allowed to troll. -Admin DrPizza

tincart edit: I'm not willing to deal with moderators defending the trolls here. Goodbye AT forums.

Oh boy, another one lost.

1. Doesn't involve you.
2. Involves mod business.
3. You commenting on it is a thread derail.

Pick any one of these three and you have the makings of an infraction...commit all three and you are begging for one.

Moderator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
It would be a nice change to have one of your posts not bleed green all over my screen. I think it's pretty low to come in here and post marketing FUD to promote your chosen green team. It does no good for anybody to put up that kind of junk when the WHQL's are still sitting at 258.96 on nVidia's site and your graph is likely spun from nVidia's own marketing department.

Ah I got the graph from a review site for the gts450? Whats the problem? This is a gts 450 thread right?

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=997&type=expert&pid=13

I never said anything about these drivers being great, I don't even own a Nvidia card to use them.

ARe you waiting for a new driver for your gtx460? Do you even own a gtx460? ARe you tro**ing in a GTS 450 thread?

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Ah I got the graph from a review site for the gts450? Whats the problem?

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=997&type=expert&pid=13

I never said anything about these drivers being great, I don't even own a Nvidia card to use them.

ARe you waiting for a new driver for your gtx460? Do you even own a gtx460? ARe you tro**ing in a GTS 450 thread?

You seem to call a lot of people trolls when you can be accused of the same thing.

Personal attacks and insults are not acceptable.

Moderator Idontcare

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Oh boy, another one lost.

Another one? another one what? team member? :'(

On topic:

The gts450 is running an average of 86% boost from sli, thats a little under the ususal 90+ scaling for the Nvidia lineup. Mabe Nvidia needs to refine the drivers a bit. I still don't see it competing with 5770's in x fire. I don't really think it was meant to.

I still think there is too much of a gap between a gts450 and 460. I would not be surprised if the currently rumered gts455 with a further cut down gf104 core is released with a 192 bit bus.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
That pcper site is a joke, they seemed to have their tongue rammed right up NV's backside like so many others. Never see any reviews out of them that don't praise an NV card.

They actually gave the 450 a 'gold star award' and said it's a great release. The only review out of all the sites to take that tone.

And they post that laughable graph using bugged out, leaked drivers that NV themselves have had pulled from sites that posted them.

Here is what more level-headed sites have to say about it:

'...But if you’re a free agent and have no attachment to NVIDIA’s ecosystem, there’s not a game we benchmarked today where the 5770 was more than a hair’s width slower. Thus at NVIDIA’s new $130 price point the card to get is not the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450, it’s the AMD Radeon HD 5770. It’s a bit warmer and a bit louder than the reference GTS 450, but the performance gap is hard to argue with....'

'...The MSI N450GTS Cyclone is a solid product, but is ultimately let down by the lackluster performance of the GPU that NVIDIA gave MSI to work with. Ultimately, GeForce GTS 450 is disappointing because it offers nothing new at this price point. Gamers have had the capability of multi-display gaming on a single graphics card in this price range for eleven months now. Gamers have had DX11 gaming capability at this price range for eleven months now. Gamers have experienced this same level of performance in this price range for eleven months now. It takes the GeForce GTS 450 more power to produce less performance when compared to the Radeon HD 5770.

The GeForce GTS 450 should have been in our hands eleven months ago. To come to the game this late for $130+, the GTS 450 is simply not good enough compared to the video cards already available....'

'...Well then, we end the conclusion like this, the GeForce GTS 450 is fun product but we are not sure enough if it'll make a big enough difference in the mid-range market. It's not that the GTS 450 is not interesting, no contrary, it's just ATI that is dominating the segment and can adapt any move NVIDIA makes. See, ATI is simply going to lower the price on its Radeon HD 5750 and 5770, and that will shift, reposition and dominate the entire dynamic of price versus performance and thus market repositioning. That said, if you can get a GeForce GTS 450 (preferably factory overclocked) for sub-120 EUR, that will absolutely be a fair price for a product that offers a nice and fun amount of game performance. As really that is what the GeForce GTS 450 is all about...'

It's a 'nice and fun card' but performance is garbage.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
That pcper site is a joke, they seemed to have their tongue rammed right up NV's backside like so many others. Never see any reviews out of them that don't praise an NV card.

They actually gave the 450 a 'gold star award' and said it's a great release. The only review out of all the sites to take that tone.

And they post that laughable graph using bugged out, leaked drivers and NV themselves have had pulled from sites that posted them.

Here is what more level-headed sites have to say about it:

'...But if you’re a free agent and have no attachment to NVIDIA’s ecosystem, there’s not a game we benchmarked today where the 5770 was more than a hair’s width slower. Thus at NVIDIA’s new $130 price point the card to get is not the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450, it’s the AMD Radeon HD 5770. It’s a bit warmer and a bit louder than the reference GTS 450, but the performance gap is hard to argue with....'

'...The MSI N450GTS Cyclone is a solid product, but is ultimately let down by the lackluster performance of the GPU that NVIDIA gave MSI to work with. Ultimately, GeForce GTS 450 is disappointing because it offers nothing new at this price point. Gamers have had the capability of multi-display gaming on a single graphics card in this price range for eleven months now. Gamers have had DX11 gaming capability at this price range for eleven months now. Gamers have experienced this same level of performance in this price range for eleven months now. It takes the GeForce GTS 450 more power to produce less performance when compared to the Radeon HD 5770.

The GeForce GTS 450 should have been in our hands eleven months ago. To come to the game this late for $130+, the GTS 450 is simply not good enough compared to the video cards already available....'

'...Well then, we end the conclusion like this, the GeForce GTS 450 is fun product but we are not sure enough if it'll make a big enough difference in the mid-range market. It's not that the GTS 450 is not interesting, no contrary, it's just ATI that is dominating the segment and can adapt any move NVIDIA makes. See, ATI is simply going to lower the price on its Radeon HD 5750 and 5770, and that will shift, reposition and dominate the entire dynamic of price versus performance and thus market repositioning. That said, if you can get a GeForce GTS 450 (preferably factory overclocked) for sub-120 EUR, that will absolutely be a fair price for a product that offers a nice and fun amount of game performance. As really that is what the GeForce GTS 450 is all about...'

It's a 'nice and fun card' but performance is garbage.

wow, do you guys travel in packs?

pc perspective is a joke in your opinion.

I never said it was a great card and also said it needs a little price drop. It is a new release, they allways charge more when a card first releases, you guys know that.

Perfromance is between a 5750 and 5770, and price not counting rebates its BETWEEN a 5750 and 5770. It's quieter and runs cooler though!

Do you really think this gts450 card won't get a boost from drivers? It's a brand new card, jeeeeeez.
Do you think somehow ATI's drivers will suddenly boost the 5700 series?
For single cards they havent boosted crap since the catalyst 10.3's, I should know. :thumbsdown:

crislevin

Sep 12, 2010
I think nVidia has its loyal user base, even if 450 GTS is not compete with 5770 well at the current price point, its gives loyal users a good choice.

Not everybody is an expert and always buy the best card at best price. Similar price, similar performance, brand name, thats probably good enough for now for nVidia.

Now I read a lot about the n card being less profitable at current price than Radeon card, is that a concern for n card ecosystem?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You mean 115$ after rebate right? for the gts450.
Without rebate it's priced just about right for the numbers I've seen.

Well, the cheapest GTS 450 is $130. The cheapest 5770 is $125 after rebate. I know which one I'd rather buy between those options. They better get some rebates going.

Also, the most expensive GTS 450 is a highly overclocked part at $160. The 768MB GTX460's start at only $10 more.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
So is this thing more or less equal to a GTS 250 in performance?

It looks like a total miss, might as well go with a 5770 which has been near the $100 mark lately. There have also been GTX 460 around the $150 mark. MEH.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
So is this thing more or less equal to a GTS 250 in performance?

It looks like a total miss, might as well go with a 5770 which has been near the $100 mark lately. There have also been GTX 460 around the $150 mark. MEH.

Did you mean 5750 near the 100$ mark? At the cards target res. 1600x1050 the gts450 is faster then the 5750 but slower then the 5770.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010

Try to unwrap yourself from your own spin for a moment and come back to where most of us are. Hardware enthusiasts, not hack shills hell bent on promoting.

I'll grant you this, if I was trolling I likely wouldn't own a 460. Why would I comment on the lousy nVidia driver update scheduale (Read: Non Existance since launch) for a 460 if I didn't own one?

I'm commenting on it because I own a 460 of course, this is likely because i'm an actual hardware enthusiast and not a hack.

Cut the crap man.

450 has limited value in the current crop of GPU's, sprinkling pixie dust on the driver situation at nVidia is a lousy attempt to skirt that fact.

Personal attacks and insults are not acceptable.

Re: "not hack shills hell bent on promoting"

Moderator Idontcare

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Try to unwrap yourself from your own spin for a moment and come back to where most of us are. Hardware enthusiasts, not hack shills hell bent on promoting.

I'll grant you this, if I was trolling I likely wouldn't own a 460. Why would I comment on the lousy nVidia driver update scheduale (Read: Non Existance since launch) for a 460 if I didn't own one?

I'm commenting on it because I own a 460 of course, this is likely because i'm an actual hardware enthusiast and not a hack.

Cut the crap man.

450 has limited value in the current crop of GPU's, sprinkling pixie dust on the driver situation at nVidia is a lousy attempt to skirt that fact.

My point was why are you saying gtx460 in a gts 450 thread, I don't care what card you own. gtx460 this , gtx 460 that..... get it now?

heflys

Sep 13, 2010

Yeah, seriously. According to techpowerup, this is card is 8% slower than a 5770, which AMD already states will match in price with GTS 450. It's 20% slower than a 768mb, which is only $20-30 bucks more in some instances. Plus, it comes at a time when new ATI cards are coming out.

Not to sound redundant, but, TBH, this card is pointless.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Yeah, seriously. According to techpowerup, this is card is 8% slower than a 5770, which AMD already states will match in price with GTS 450. It's 20% slower than a 768mb, which is only $20-30 bucks more in some instances. Plus, it comes at a time when new ATI cards are coming out.

Not to sound redundant, but, TBH, this card is pointless.

I still cant find this 100$ 5770? I tried google.

Without rebate best price I found was $140, these cards go for $130 AT LAUNCH.
So 8 percent less performance for 10$ less? Is that soooo bad?

Last edited: