GTS450 reviews including SLI

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
If you have links to "credible reviews" with performance,power consumption,noise levels and prices of the 6770, please share, otherwise please stop speading your opinion as a fact.

I can easily provide a link like that one you made in this thread to that graph of performance 'improvements' on the 460 using unavailable drivers.

6770 is launching next month. AMD is bringing in 2nd generation DX11, nvidia hasn't even finished their 1st generation DX11 lineup.

With that coming, buying a mid-range DX11 card today, 460, 450, 5770 is not a great idea considering next month there will be 2nd generation DX11 cards available from AMD in their brand new 6 series.

One month is not long to wait to see the new level of performance coming from AMD if you are shopping for a mid-range card today. :thumbsup:

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
If you have links to "credible reviews" with performance,power consumption,noise levels and prices of the 6770, please share, otherwise please stop speading your opinion as a fact.

Just like when you talk about this phantom GTS455, GTX475 and GTX495.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
6770 is launching next month

I agree its comming on the 24th of October ,but there is no credible information on its performance ,price ,noise levels, or power consumption, in fact even the launch date is not official,that was from a Fudzilla type web page.

The graph I posted was from a official review of the gts450, whats wrong with that?
They are beta drivers,so exspect the gts 450's performance to improve, just like the gtx 460's.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
I agree its comming on the 24th of October ,but there is no credible information on its performance ,price ,noise levels, or power consumption, in fact even the launch date is not official,that was from a Fudzilla type web page.

The graph I posted was from a official review of the gts450, whats wrong with that?
They are beta drivers,so exspect the gts 450's performance to improve, just like the gtx 460's.

And SLI to be broken. Yet people only notice when that happens to AMD. :hmm:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Just like when you talk about this phantom GTS455, GTX475 and GTX495.

The difference is, I don't tell someone to wait for a card with no official specs ,price,noise, power consumption numbers or even release date.

See what I mean,thats my point Skurge.

Lets save this thread and get back on the topic of the gts450 and how with a simple 15$ price drop and some official drivers this card could be and should be a good card to recommend.
The one thing we should all remember is these cards will lower prices for all, so its a win for us, the card buyers. :)

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
But you could comment on 5850/5870 crossfire, Im still surprised you never posted the issues people were having with 460SLI

I stay out of those troll threads, crossfire/sli, when reviewers have problems like the Hardcop review and the xfire 5870 vs gtx 460 sli, I take notice. I don't have sli or crossfire, if I did and it worked for me , I'd be the first person in the thread saying its bull**it , you know that. :)

You have to admit, most of these problems are probrobly user errors or just certain cases where the drivers need a fix, it happends all the time.

Lets get back on topic, bud. :)

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
The difference is, I don't tell someone to wait for a card with no official specs ,price,noise, power consumption numbers or even release date.

See what I mean,thats my point Skurge.

Lets save this thread and get back on the topic of the gts450 and how with a simple 15$ price drop and some official drivers this card could be and should be a good card to recommend.
The one thing we should all remember is these cards will lower prices for all, so its a win for us, the card buyers. :)

Actually, you do, and you speculate on far in the future cards.
In fact, you said the GTS450 would perform on par with the 5830 and the 440 would perform against the HD5770 and be available in June (in a post from May).

Just search for your own username, this forum and the keyword "wait" and view by post. You will also see yourself recommending waiting for the GTX475 in a couple of instances. That card doesn't exist or have any specs or leaked benchmarks.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
But you could comment on 5850/5870 crossfire, Im still surprised you never posted the issues people were having with 460SLI

It's pretty funny all the promoting of GTX 460 SLI. I even saw a thread where he recommended the cards to someone asking for advice, the guy bought them, then he made a post about serious driver issues, and he came in that thread and flamed him for 'user error'

Classic.

There have been 0 new drivers for the 460 since it was first released. There are tons of issues with stuttering, low gpu usage and lockups with 460 SLI. Drivers have been promised for over a month now to fix it and nothing, not to mention there are issues with Mafia 2, Starcraft 2 and other games with SLI on any system.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=328051&page=7
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=522388&mpage=2
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=170238&st=560
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=306622&page=9

And now it's also unreasonable for someone to wait till next month with AMD launching a new architecture and generation and starting it off with their mid-range card ? It makes perfect sense to wait. When has there ever been a new generation from either company that did not provide large performance increases over the past one. Never. It's FUD to try and say otherwise.

Now with just a month of time till AMD's 6 series comes, is the perfect time to wait, why buy a 460,450,5770 or 5850 right now, just to see an equally priced card launch next month that out-performs what you just purchased ?

Not that this is surprising, NV keeps shooting themselves in the foot with their choice of launch times for all their recent cards. The only exception to that as yet has been the 460.

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Actually, you do, and you speculate on far in the future cards.
In fact, you said the GTS450 would perform on par with the 5830 and the 440 would perform against the HD5770 and be available in June (in a post from May).

Just search for your own username, this forum and the keyword "wait" and view by post. You will also see yourself recommending waiting for the GTX475 in a couple of instances. That card doesn't exist or have any specs or leaked benchmarks.

In certain situations , yes it could be right. Especially when they only want an Nvidia card. I admit that. I also have trouble recommending a 5870, it just cost too much for its performance, another reason to wait. I try to stay away from the gts 480 also, that things (unless it had a specific vender cooler) is just too loud ,and consumes alot of power.
I also usually give a second option like a 5850 if the price is right.
Listen guys , I'm trying NOT to be a fanboy, your making it tough. :)

Lets get back on topic. :) Pm me if you wanna chat.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
It's pretty funny all the promoting of GTX 460 SLI. I even saw a thread where he recommended the cards to someone asking for advice, the guy bought them, then he made a post about serious driver issues, and he came in that thread and flamed him for 'user error'

Classic.

There have been 0 new drivers for the 460 since it was first released. There are tons of issues with stuttering, low gpu usage and lockups with 460 SLI. Drivers have been promised for over a month now to fix it and nothing, not to mention there are issues with Mafia 2, Starcraft 2 and other games with SLI on any system.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=328051&page=7
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=522388&mpage=2
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=170238&st=560
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=306622&page=9

I think you find it easy to jump on a brand new card with brand new drivers, even I gave my 5750 a chance before I started crying about it 3 months later.

If they don't fix some of the isssues in the next driver release, believe me , I'll be in your corner waiving the green flag sucks rant.
Relax there Grover, give it a chance bud.

Edit:
If fact why not take some of that post there and start a new thread about it.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
It's reasonable to expect coming ATI cards to offer compelling performance advantages over existing cards.

Why? Because the 5 series was a "feature" release. DX11, trifire, etc. That's how the 5 series had any justification for existence over better performing 4 series at the same price points.

The next series doesn't have DX12 as a feature selling point and idle/load power usage of the 5 series is already very good, so by process of elimination the 6 series should be a performance release. Other than the FX series and the 8800->9800 restickering we've not had "new" products offer less bang/buck than the previous stuff, so it's reasonable to expect higher performance for the $ from the 6 series as well.

IMO, in view of the above, the 450 is an unneeded product. At this time waiting for the new generation is well advised.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I think you find it easy to jump on a brand new card with brand new drivers, even I gave my 5750 a chance before I started crying about it 3 months later.

If they don't fix some of the isssues in the next driver release, believe me , I'll be in your corner waiving the green flag sucks rant.
Relax there Grover, give it a chance bud.

You're quite liberal with giving NV so much leeway in fixing their issues.

You sure were eager to create threads and post endless links to the hardocp gtx 460 vs 5870 review that everyone kept stating was flawed. But you continued on saying it had to be right.

Of course, it turned out to be completely wrong and inaccurate because of driver issues with the AMD catalyst drivers they used for the reviews.

Why weren't you so eager to give AMD a 'chance' ?

Nothing wrong with having a bias, but trying to claim you don't when you obviously do just undermines whatever you post even more.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
IMO, in view of the above, the 450 is an unneeded product. At this time waiting for the new generation is well advised

Seriously, If I was in the market for such a lower end card, I would welcome it, it will drive down prices and give me more choice. Make sense?
Nothing wrong with that.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Its very easy not being a fanboy, just don't be and get the best thing that gives you the most for your money, regardless it its AMD or nVidia. :)

I did, I got my super overclocking 5750 (900+ on the core) for 85$ last Christmas and sold my evga gtx260 for much more. Not bad ha?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Why weren't you so eager to give AMD a 'chance' ?

Come on now, you know as well as I that ATi had grey screen crashes for a good while before me and many ,many other finally got a fix. Not to mention my dual monitor flickering issues and power play screw ups.

I got my 5750 months after there release and complained a few months after. I think thats plenty of time.
It wasn't till the 10.5 drivers that my problems went away.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
This would be a great card at $100. At $130, the 5770 makes more sense unless you're a fanboy -- and if you bleed green you should still avoid it and get a 460-768 instead,

Sep 9, 2010
I didn't know that the HD 57x0 had the Gray Screen issue, AFAIK it was limited to the HD 5800 series due to low GPU Vcore issues at idle, and from the GTX 260 to a overclocked HD 5750 is a sidegrade, :confused:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I didn't know that the HD 57x0 had the Gray Screen issue, AFAIK it was limited to the HD 5800 series due to low GPU Vcore issues at idle, and from the GTX 260 to a overclocked HD 5750 is a sidegrade, :confused:
side grade at best as the gtx260 is usually faster than a 5770.

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
Its a pointless card, it doesn't bring anything new to the table. It performs like a 5750 and cost the same as a 5770. For that reason alone its not a good card. It has no redeeming features. I wanted this card to get AMD to lower 5770 prices so I could my bro a 2nd 5770 for cheap.

It won't sell well cause everyone who wanted that kind of performance would already have a 5770 or 5750 which are better value.

I agree with you because even I was expecting atleast 5770 performance maybe at slightly cheaper price but got 5750 performance at 5770 price. :(

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
The bad driver talk is, imho, mostly crap. ATI and Nvidia have both had pretty solid drivers for the last 2 years or so. Nvidia fans just like to point to the drivers as some Nvidia strength (when in reality I can't recall ATI ever releasing drivers that actually destroyed video cards). Meh. And yes, I have both an ATI and an NVIDIA card....(470 and a 5770). They are both fine. I like the nvidia control panel layout better. But I wish it had the edge detect AA option, I really enjoy that for older non-shader intensive games (looks sooo nice).

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
This would be a great card at $100. At $130, the 5770 makes more sense unless you're a fanboy -- and if you bleed green you should still avoid it and get a 460-768 instead,

At a $99~109 release price, this would be a videocard that I would recommend. Nvidia chose not to price it that way so they are more followers now (in pricing) vs ATI. Anandtech's article said that only some of the 5770 are $130 now but with $170 GTX 460, I'd like to see all of them at that price (unless it is a special model).

Nvidia could have went with the "aggressive" pricing models that Anand suggested but I guess it doesn't make sense right now. The card is brand new and there will be people that buy it at release for whatever reason. Only when sales fall below their projections should there be an official price drop. I don't think there is anything stopping any vendor or Nvidia partner from selling it at a lower price either.

Soleron

May 10, 2009
At a $99~109 release price, this would be a videocard that I would recommend. Nvidia chose not to price it that way so they are more followers now (in pricing) vs ATI. [...] Nvidia could have went with the "aggressive" pricing models that Anand suggested but I guess it doesn't make sense right now.

It's a much larger chip that Juniper. If they priced it at $100, AMD would just drop the 57xx series to $100 and AMD would still be making a profit while Nvidia would likely be losing money.

With that kind of die size disadvantage, a price war isn't going to benefit Nvidia. AMD can drop much more easily and make money.