GTS450 reviews including SLI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
You are a broken record. Every Nvidia launch or feature is garbage to you. What were you expecting out of this launch anyways? They targeted the 5770 and are pretty damn close. And factory OC cards typically beat it.

I think the problem is after 11 months of 5770 performance, the only equaled it.
Unlike the 480 and 460 that brought something new to the table, the 450 does nothing for the market. Its a status quot card.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
I think the problem is after 11 months of 5770 performance, the only equaled it.
Unlike the 480 and 460 that brought something new to the table, the 450 does nothing for the market. Its a status quot card.
Pretty much. NVIDIA is basically a year behind AMD in the lower mid range and low end. Talk about stagnation, AMD is only going to be competing with itself with the 6xxx series.

Feb 19, 2009
You are a broken record. Every Nvidia launch or feature is garbage to you. What were you expecting out of this launch anyways? They targeted the 5770 and are pretty damn close. And factory OC cards typically beat it.

It's not too bad, price/perf is close enough to the 5770. Both cards OC very well so don't factor in any factory OC.

NV is doing what it must, but i don't see the point of this card, which is 240mm2 and performs worse than a 166mm2 card released nearly a year ago. Now, there's a timing window where they can compete, as the 5770 will be around til early 2011 until its replaced by the 6K series.. but a few months of weak competition?

Must be a market share thing.. boost it to look good in conference calls.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
So I guess...

The good:
- low noise
- low idle power

The bad:
- price
- performance

The problem here is that the Radeons already have relatively low noise and idle power. I honestly don't see even one reason why would anyone bother with this card. People already had access to this level of performance in the past what? 10 months? The card is way to slow for 3DVision or PhysX. So what good things does it have?

Feb 19, 2009
It has CUDA.

Handy for those who need to use software that uses it, for very cheap you can get a decent CUDA card. That's always an advantage for NV gpus regardless of anything else. I wouldn't recommend a non-gamer getting a gtx460 or 470 just for CUDA because of pricing and power requirements, but the gts450 fits this niche nicely.

crislevin

Sep 12, 2010
I heard nVidia has a similart technology to AMD Eyefinity, multi-display output, is it in this card?

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Hm, even whem massively overclocked these can't beat a single GTX 460 768MB.

But, everyone has their own price limit. If all you can afford is $130.00 then you now have two options between the 450 and the 5770. I'd opt for the 5770 seeing how dismal the 450 SLI numbers have been.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
While its hardly "All aboard the FAIL bus",the 450 doesn't look to good against the HD5770 which is now priced similarly.
Most of the reviews say its a pretty good card but I don't see it as a compelling reason to buy NVDA this round.
This new card is also going to find going up against the 6 series cards due out shortly a very difficult sell I suspect.

Agreed with all this. It appears Nvidia is intentionally crippling their cards right now in what is more than likely a move to release the fully unlocked cards vs. AMD's 6x00 series.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

It's slower than the 5770. It costs the same. Factory overclocked cards cost more than the 5770 to give similar performance. The 5770 overclocks pretty well, too. No reason I can think of to buy this card at $130 unless you need an Nvidia-specific feature like CUDA.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

And so what? Nvidia finally has a low end mid range card. It performs like the competition it was designed to compete against. I dont see how that is garbage. Unless we are going to value a card by the timeline from which it is brought out. Which I think is a pointless argument when it comes to buying a card right now. If I am looking at a 5770 or a GTS 450 today. What do I care if the 450 came out later than the 5770?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
And so what? Nvidia finally has a low end mid range card. It performs like the competition it was designed to compete against. I dont see how that is garbage. Unless we are going to value a card by the timeline from which it is brought out. Which I think is a pointless argument when it comes to buying a card right now. If I am looking at a 5770 or a GTS 450 today. What do I care if the 450 came out later than the 5770?

You have to say it makes the 450 look pretty uninteresting, particularly as AMD's new cards are coming out soon.

heflys

Sep 13, 2010
And so what? Nvidia finally has a low end mid range card. It performs like the competition it was designed to compete against.
According to Techpowerup, it performs 8-12% slower than its nearly year old competition. Even the 4870 crossfire still beats it, let alone a 5770 crossfire.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTS_450_SLI/23.html

What do I care if the 450 came out later than the 5770?
Well, considering that AMD is planning to release some new cards later this year, the timing of this card's release may play a factor.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Considering that cards like the 5770 and 5750 were already uninteresting last year due to 4870/4850 and 9800GTX+/GTS250/GTX260 offering similar performance, 11 month later these cards are even less interesting.

And of course if you are buying now, the 5770 is faster and cost pretty much the same and for little more the GTX460 is much more powerful than either.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008

I'm sure you would recommend this card to people to buy, no surprise there.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You have to say it makes the 450 look pretty uninteresting, particularly as AMD's new cards are coming out soon.

Uninteresting is a subjective word. I think all cards below a 460 are uninteresting. But what does that have to do with Nvidia finally having a 130 dollar DX11 card? So what I gather from what people were expecting. They thought this card would beat the 5770. Well it competes with it and that is all they were targeting I suspect. They needed a DX11 card in that space, now they have one.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I'm sure you would recommend this card to people to buy, no surprise there.

That would be an ASSumption. But irrlevant to the subject of you being a broken record and not answering the question of what you were expecting out of this card.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Uninteresting is a subjective word. I think all cards below a 460 are uninteresting. But what does that have to do with Nvidia finally having a 130 dollar DX11 card? So what I gather from what people were expecting. They thought this card would beat the 5770. Well it competes with it and that is all they were targeting I suspect. They needed a DX11 card in that space, now they have one.

It competes with it? You're looking at the reference 450, right? It would seem it competes more with the 5750... the problem is that it's priced with the 5770. It needs a price drop.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004

The "problem" is that if John Q. asks his tech-buddy, "hey, I'm thinking of buying the GTS 450, what do you think?" the tech may answer, "eh, AMD's had the same performance for nearly a year, and they have new cards coming out in the next month or two, so you should wait."

It has nothing to do with being bad, but the product doesn't generate any good will, no positive vibe.

Edit: I suspect, though, that Nvidia already has a Plan B for the Radeon 6-series, in that they can whip out a competitor to the 67xx quickly, and the $170 GTX 460 /768mb squeezes AMD in terms of pricing for the 67xx. The GTS 450 @ $130 may be merely a short-term placeholder.

Last edited:

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
Looking at performance this card is "meh" at best, but this card is a "winner" in that it caused AMD to lower prices on the 5700 series. If nothing else nvidia deserves credit for that much.

Sep 9, 2010

Usually are more expensive than the HD 5770 and the performance gap is very slim to justify its higher price, higher power consumption and heat dissipation. Also there's HD 5770 cards that comes pre overclocked.

Its not garbage, is just an uninteresting SKU, a card that barely competes with the HD 5750, priced at HD 5770 price levels, consumes more power, has twice the die size of an 11 month old AMD SKU, how can you call such card sucessful? While consumers don't care much about die sizes, it can allow you to estimate how low the prices of the card can go, and certainly, the card will not go below $79.

Looking at performance this card is "meh" at best, but this card is a "winner" in that it caused AMD to lower prices on the 5700 series. If nothing else nvidia deserves credit for that much.

You are right, competition drive down prices. :)

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
That would be an ASSumption. But irrlevant to the subject of you being a broken record and not answering the question of what you were expecting out of this card.

Considering you conveniently glossed over my opinion stating that someone should save another $30 and get a 460, the question was not worth answering.

If a card is garbage it's garbage, I don't care what vendor made it, for me, that does not make it good regardless of its characteristics.

No matter what the case, no mid-range card is worth considering currently anyways, whether it be a 5770, 450, 460 whatever. With the mid-range AMD 6 series launching next month, all those cards are a bad buy right now with a new level of performance on the horizon from AMD.

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
With the mid-range AMD 6 series launching next month, all those cards are a bad buy right now with a new level of performance on the horizon from AMD.

If you have links to "credible reviews" with performance,power consumption,noise levels and prices of the 6770, please share, otherwise please stop speading your opinion as a fact.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009

Its a pointless card, it doesn't bring anything new to the table. It performs like a 5750 and cost the same as a 5770. For that reason alone its not a good card. It has no redeeming features. I wanted this card to get AMD to lower 5770 prices so I could my bro a 2nd 5770 for cheap.

It won't sell well cause everyone who wanted that kind of performance would already have a 5770 or 5750 which are better value.