GTA 5 to look way better on PC.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
It looks sharper.

It also appears to be missing a layer of shading/depth of field that the console versions have.

Hopefully it's just disabled in the screenshots or something.

It's quite common for developers to release PC versions that have greater details but are missing a layer of DOF blur or Anti-aliasing that console versions have.

For example Wolfenstein The New Order has anti-aliasing on the console versions and none on the PC, you have to use a 3rd party to inject it. (try doing this with an AMD gpu, I dare ya)

It's just one example of how developers prioritize console versions and do everything in their power to make them the best version, because they make way more money on consoles.

Last edited:

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
just sharper textures, maybe a few more animals, but 'way' better on PC. it feels like it removed a layer of ambient effects, and if it saves on 'performance' it kind of removes the atmosphere of it a bit too.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
just sharper textures, maybe a few more animals, but 'way' better on PC. it feels like it removed a layer of ambient effects, and if it saves on 'performance' it kind of removes the atmosphere of it a bit too.

Did you take a look at the videos (slideshows)?

They show it far better than those first few screenshots.

I don't see reduced atmospheric effects, I see them as far more detailed and vibrant. What you are witnessing is a removal of some "cheap tricks" that helped still give a good atmospheric feeling while cheating and cutting down on rendering so that it ran smoothly on the consoles.

Look at sunset-type scenes and you'll see that the atmosphere of the game will be significantly better on the PC. I can't wait, this is the first game in awhile that I pre-ordered, and because it has been delayed numerous times, I'm not worried about a terrible product.

The fact that GTA V, The Witcher 3, and Project CARS have all been experiencing delays is actually something that gives me satisfaction. I hate the waits, but you know what, that's better than a terribly buggy product that had to meet a hard deadline.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I don't see reduced atmospheric effects, I see them as far more detailed and vibrant. What you are witnessing is a removal of some "cheap tricks" that helped still give a good atmospheric feeling while cheating and cutting down on rendering so that it ran smoothly on the consoles.

I don't know. I will wait until it's released. Having those atmospheric fog effects and a good DOF implementation could also go a long way to hide z-fighting, which is extremely apparent in GTA4 PC version.

I'm hoping they have a solution to that because if ther as much flickering and z-fighting and general graphics glitches that GTA4 had then I'm going to save my money this time.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I got a feeling this game won't be no system killing game,the system requirements could have easily thrown in a 7950 if it was to use more then 2gb of vram.Best 2gb card is the 770 and the recommendation of a 660/7870 is telling.

Maybe the resolutions outside of 1080p will call for higher end cards?Unless its another broken port,i don't think it will need much.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011

Look at sunset-type scenes and you'll see that the atmosphere of the game will be significantly better on the PC. I can't wait, this is the first game in awhile that I pre-ordered, and because it has been delayed numerous times, I'm not worried about a terrible product.

The fact that GTA V, The Witcher 3, and Project CARS have all been experiencing delays is actually something that gives me satisfaction. I hate the waits, but you know what, that's better than a terribly buggy product that had to meet a hard deadline.
Agreed! From the looks of those videos our wait for the PC version will be totally worth it. :thumbsup:

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I got a feeling this game won't be no system killing game,the system requirements could have easily thrown in a 7950 if it was to use more then 2gb of vram.Best 2gb card is the 770 and the recommendation of a 660/7870 is telling.

Maybe the resolutions outside of 1080p will call for higher end cards?Unless its another broken port,i don't think it will need much.

I suspect it will be a system killer and really resource intensive, but the visual fidelity delivered will not justify it. :p Given Rockstar's track record, this feels like a good possibility.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I suspect it will be a system killer and really resource intensive, but the visual fidelity delivered will not justify it. :p Given Rockstar's track record, this feels like a good possibility.

I think its going to like cpu more then gpu like GTA4 does.Maybe if it has AA options like MSAA it could run fine on a 660 without it enabled but enabling it could ask for more.Hard to say but i know i'm set with my 970.:)

Loving your Picture there on the profile,that is just great.Now i need to go watch that video YET again.:thumbsup: It's a golden gem.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013

Think - a fat old city with dozens+ of NPCs, all that AI, all that draw distance and rendering, I'd bet it will hammer CPUs.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007

Did they work as long on the other ports? It seems like they're actually taking some time with GTA5 PC. I'm still not buying til after release in case it's a disaster though

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Think - a fat old city with dozens+ of NPCs, all that AI, all that draw distance and rendering, I'd bet it will hammer CPUs.

Yup i think so too.I wouldn't mind this game giving my i7 3770 a work out,few games really do anyways.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
One thing I always wished GTA PC games would allow, is custom setting of the 'circle of influence'.

You know how you spin around, and cars in the distance disappear if you look the other way then back? The circle of influence is far too small, to accommodate consoles; would love if I could set it to whatever I want no matter the performance hit.

But, I got GTA 5 on the 360 when it first came out, and imo it's the weakest GTA ever. Trevor is kind of an interesting character, if you can stomach him, but multiplayer sucked bad ($6k-$12k payouts for doing a mission with million dollar cars; losing money when dieing in deathmatch, and bland racing imo). Rockstar wanted to nickel and dime us to death with this one, with you being able to 'buy' in-game money with real money, hence the low mission payouts - not supporting that.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
One thing I always wished GTA PC games would allow, is custom setting of the 'circle of influence'.

You know how you spin around, and cars in the distance disappear if you look the other way then back? The circle of influence is far too small, to accommodate consoles; would love if I could set it to whatever I want no matter the performance hit.

But, I got GTA 5 on the 360 when it first came out, and imo it's the weakest GTA ever. Trevor is kind of an interesting character, if you can stomach him, but multiplayer sucked bad ($6k-$12k payouts for doing a mission with million dollar cars; losing money when dieing in deathmatch, and bland racing imo). Rockstar wanted to nickel and dime us to death with this one, with you being able to 'buy' in-game money with real money, hence the low mission payouts - not supporting that.

The newly released heists help in bigger payouts with most being $40K+
I just did a heist were I got $146K and I wasn't even the host!

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Guys i am concerned that GTA 5 will not run on strict dual core CPU's like Pentiums.
Minimum recommended is
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600
@ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom
9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @
2.5GHz
I have a powerful Pentium cpu with per core performance matching or beating FX8350 but still cannot run new games as more and more games are now not supporting dual core cpus. Recent example being Far Cry 4 not even launching on dual core cpu.
The funniest thing here is that Rockstar see fit to support Windows Vista which pretty much no gamer uses at this point while they lock out dual core cpu gamers which make up roughly half of the PC gaming population. Any thoughts?

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
The funniest thing here is that Rockstar see fit to support Windows Vista which pretty much no gamer uses at this point while they lock out dual core cpu gamers which make up roughly half of the PC gaming population. Any thoughts?

Having had a overclocked x6 1100t and a stock i3 2100,games like BF3 which love cores simply ran better on the i3 2100.x6 1100t is better then both the minimum cpu requirements for GTA5

If the game just wants cores and your pentium can't deliver,just grab yourself a i3 or i5.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Yeah if you look the artificial fog is gone. So you have much more detail in the distance and a longer draw distance to boot.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012

THe online portion is designed to be a long-lasting experience. You get supercars and megarich very fast in the single player portion of the game. If this was the case in the online game, people would play for a month and quit. They want this to be like an RPG experience where you invest a lot of time into your character.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Holy crap that will be impressive on PC. I own the 360 and One versions... but damn... That could almost tempt me to part with an additional $60...

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Guys i am concerned that GTA 5 will not run on strict dual core CPU's like Pentiums.
Minimum recommended is
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600
@ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom
9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @
2.5GHz
I have a powerful Pentium cpu with per core performance matching or beating FX8350 but still cannot run new games as more and more games are now not supporting dual core cpus. Recent example being Far Cry 4 not even launching on dual core cpu.

Dual core is dead for gaming. Next gen (HA!) consoles have 8 cores, at least 6 of them will be in use. I wouldn't even use a plain dual core (sub i3) in an a daily office box now actually.