GT300 - hdmi?

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
or do you need to connect a cable to your mobo or sound card?

i tried an nvidia card a few months ago to mess around with cuda - cable went 'poof'. up in smoke. i'll probably go ATi again, but might check out Nvidias offerings if HDMI is done right (meaning as clean and easy as ATis way).

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
How the hell would anyone now? As far as most people are concerned, there aren't real working samples, except in the most secret of nvidia labs ...

And why bother with CUDA, sooner or later it'll be dead to most of the world. Most of the important gpgpu-applications (that have yet to see the daylight) will run on opencl or directcompute.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: tommo123

i tried an nvidia card a few months ago to mess around with cuda - cable went 'poof'. up in smoke. i'll probably go ATi again, but might check out Nvidias offerings if HDMI is done right (meaning as clean and easy as ATis way).

Ummm.. What? Did you mean "Audio over HDMI"? In which case, it's kind of hard for a cable to go up in smoke when it's just carrying an audio signal, unless of course you accidentally plug one end into a motherboard fan header.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Certainly hope they incorporate HDMI with sound pass as a standard output. Lots of 1080's as monitors out there now.. it would be foolish otherwise!!

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
don't think i plugged it to the wrong connect Keys, the mobo diagram said it was audio. either way, ATis way of doing it is just easier - and the less cables inside the case the better IMO.

marc - this was a few months ago and CUDA would be useful for software on doom9 for video stuff. maybe in time it will work on DC, but it works now on cuda.

either way it's moot. i'll probably go ATi again after the clusterf*** that my 7950gx2 was (not impressed).

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

i tried an nvidia card a few months ago to mess around with cuda - cable went 'poof'. up in smoke.
LOL, WTF?

Are you sure the smoke wasn?t coming from somewhere else, like from a burning "herbal" plant wrapped in paper, for example? :p

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
:p

nah, bright flash of light, poof of smoke. burning smell. :eek:

the cable was actually fused to the card connector afterwards <eek>

Kingbee13

Jul 17, 2007
:p

nah, bright flash of light, poof of smoke. burning smell. :eek:

the cable was actually fused to the card connector afterwards <eek>

possible you may have connected to the onboard analog audio connector and not the spidif out from the motherboard?

just a thought....

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
almost 100% sure it was the spdif- but wouldn't rule out my doing something stupid. doesnt matter now anyway :) wont buy a card that requires a connection like that.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Fan header seems likely.

ATI's version of HDMI audio using an onboard chip instead of passthrough is more idiot-proof (see above) but it needs Dolby Digital Live for gaming before I'd call it "done right."

With the nvidia passthrough you can use a DDL sound card if you want more than stereo for games.

WraithETC

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Fan header seems likely.

ATI's version of HDMI audio using an onboard chip instead of passthrough is more idiot-proof (see above) but it needs Dolby Digital Live for gaming before I'd call it "done right."

With the nvidia passthrough you can use a DDL sound card if you want more than stereo for games.

ATI's method can get up to 7.1 in all applications if you have a receiver with multichannel LPCM (lossless too). With Dolby Digital you get 5.1 and less than lossless.

I have both a ddl sound card and an ATI 4870. The only reason I still use the soundcard is that you can only get hdmi audio with hdmi video. I use a VGA cable to get native res on my TV so using the hdmi port is out of the question.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I hope nVidia doesn't go the way of Ati. I like having the ability to pass sound from my X-Fi over HDMI.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Keysplayr

Ummm.. What? Did you mean "Audio over HDMI"? In which case, it's kind of hard for a cable to go up in smoke when it's just carrying an audio signal, unless of course you accidentally plug one end into a motherboard fan header.

Lol, I have done that with a sound cable before. It literally did smoke and I got that nice burned electric scent... thankfully that has not happened since!

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
yay! it's not just me that makes things go up in smoke :D

well, ATis release date is today right? hopefully will get more nvidia info now as well. now off to look in case there's threads posted about that :eek: