GT200b to launch at Nvision 08 (Aug 25-27)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 6, 2008
Originally posted by: chizow
Since this thread has evolved into a single vs. multi-GPU discussion I'll go ahead and post up a short compilation of the pros/cons I made in a different thread. I have not used SLI/CF in its current AFR form, the last time I had multi-GPU was with 3Dfx and their SFR version of SLI. My list is based on common issues I read about on forums, here and especially game-specific and vendor forums.

Honestly I challenge anyone who has no experience with CF/SLI to try it yourself and prove these issues don't exist before recommending others to go multi-GPU. You can google any of the bullet captions and find tons of evidence on each of the issues listed below. I think the last guy who called BS is off trying to get a single GPU to run, much less a 2nd. I've personally never made a huge issue about CF/SLI because I've never seriously considered going that route even though I had an SLI capable board.

• Profiles/Scaling- SLI/CF rely on driver profiles for their performance and in the case of ATI, you can't change these yourself. So if your particular game doesn't have a pre-defined profile you may see no benefit or even *worst* performance than with a single card. In the case of relying on two individually slower cards than your single card, you can see that you may actually be paying more for *worst* performance which is unacceptable to me. Scaling is typically erratic as well even when CF/SLI is working, so seeing 2x the performance is rare (although RV770 does show improvements here).
  • Micro-stuttering- Pretty heated debate about the significance of this problem on this board and others although it pops up infrequently. Basically the timing of each frame from the different GPU in AFR can be erratic, leading to this effect. Apparently some people are very sensitive to it and some aren't. I certainly wouldn't be happy if I spent $400-600 for SLI/CF only to find I couldn't stand micro-stutter.
  • Heat/Power/Space - Typically not an issue for most enthusiasts, but it can become a problem when you have 2 or even 3x the power draw and heat from high-end cards. The PSU issue can be a total W issue, but also a power connector issue with so many high-end parts needing 6 or even 8-pin PCI-E connections. Many cases and motherboards can also have problems accomodating 1x9"+ card, much less 2, 3 or 4.
  • Multi-Monitor (NV only) - NV multi-GPU solutions do not support multi-monitors. I don't know if this is a superficial driver limitation to prevent desktop cards being used in professional workstations or a truly technical issue, but I'm leaning towards driver limitation as I'm assuming the Quadro GX2 would support more than 1 monitor..... Multi-Monitor support is important to me as I play full screen on my 1920 and use my 2nd monitor for various monitoring tools, surfing the web, and desktop productivity etc.
  • Bandwidth/Frame Buffer - Not as big a deal at 1920, but one of the major reasons to upgrade to the fastes GPU is for ultra high resolutions with AA. With a GX2 or SLI/CF solution, you're still limited to the same bus width and frame buffer as the individual cards even if you have more rendering horse power. This limitation is apparent in the higher resolutions with AA when comparing a GTX 280 with a true 512-bit bus and 1GB frame buffer to the X2/SLI solutions with a 256-bit bus and 512MB buffer. R700 addresses this problem somewhat with a larger frame buffer and GDDR5.
  • Chipset specific limitations - ATI CF requires an Intel/AMD chipset and NV SLI requires an NV chipset. This unnecessarily ties your platform to your GPU between generations and in the case of SLI, to NV's flaky chipsets.
  • Overclocking ability? - NV used to have problems overclocking in SLI in Vista but I think its been fixed. Not sure if ATI has similar problems although I know many of their parts are clock-locked via BIOS. SLI/CF on a single card can also have heat issues that prevent further overclocking.
  • Low Minimum Framerates (CP5670 mentioned) - SLI/CF for whateve reasons tend to have much lower minimum framerates than single-GPU solutions. You may not see the difference in AVG FPS as the CF/SLI solution may make-up the difference by rendering less intensive frame sequences at a higher rate.
  • Vsync and Triple Buffering consistency problems (CP5670) - seems this can be hit or miss with SLI (not sure about CF) and is certainly an important feature at both high and low FPS. At low FPS Triple Buffering, helps mitigate the incremental FPS denominations of Vsync and at high FPS they can prevent screen tearing on LCDs.
  • AFR Input Lag (BFG10K mentioned) - seems inherent to AFR due to the latency between pre-rendered frames generated by the CPU and when they are rendered by the GPU and displayed on-screen.

Again, there's really only 1 person on these forums shouting from the rooftops about how great SLI/CF is. Most everyone else is basing their opinions on how awesome a few numbers and graphs look from a few games without ever having tried it themselves. Then there's the silent few that have tried it, moved on and are quiet about their experience. If you look around and actually read the replies from people who have actually used multi-GPU I think you'll find that the vast majority of responses are quite different. In any single thread over on the EVGA forums about step-up from SLI/GX2 to a single GT200....its quite obvious how much happier people are with their single-GPU set-ups.

Wow, that speech smacks of nVidia, sorry to say. Could it be the GTX 280 you proudly display in your sig? :confused:

I'll bet if you bought a couple of 4850's and ran them in CF, you'd be spitting black feathers out your mouth. And you wouldn't feel so bad about spending more money than you had to for less performance.

It's quite comical to read comments such as yours when you never used the product.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: The Odorous One
Wow, that speech smacks of nVidia, sorry to say. Could it be the GTX 280 you proudly display in your sig? :confused:

I'll bet if you bought a couple of 4850's and ran them in CF, you'd be spitting black feathers out your mouth. And you wouldn't feel so bad about spending more money than you had to for less performance.

It's quite comical to read comments such as yours when you never used the product.

Actually, it smacks of why many of us dislike multi-GPU setups, whether it is AMD, nV, Crossfire combo cards or SLI sandwiches.
Just because you aren't aware of the issues or don't notice them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Obviously, some people love SLI & CF; many others like myself do not.

No need to incorrectly assume this is due to a brand bias.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Rofl, because NV isn't pushing the multi-GPU agenda at all, I mean after all they're not the ones who reincarnated SLI with modern GPUs or anything while doing all they can to protect SLI licensing and branding. Again, this isn't a vendor-specific issue, if you didn't notice I specifically pointed out problems that are isolated to NV and not ATI, just as I pointed out problems specific to ATI and not NV.

I doubt it, if I were looking for an upgrade from my 8800GTX, purchased two 4850 expecting a performance boost only to see the game didn't scale at all and only offered equivalent performance to my 8800GTX I would consider that a huge letdown.

But don't take my word for it...taken from the GTX 260 thread in Hot Deals:

I have the SC in my cart for $255 using the code VGA724X25. Minus $30 reabte = $225 shipped?

nice find on the code op!

Obviously another satisfied multi-GPU customer! Honestly, if 4850CF is the end-all be-all graphics card solution, why would you even bother looking to replace it with a slower single-GPU solution? LMAO!

I don't have to have used the product to gather reliable information about the problems involved with multi-GPU, the problems are well documented and in-your-face on any tech or PC game forum. On top of that, there's plenty of testimonials from former multi-GPU users who are much happier with "slower" single-GPU set-ups. Here's a few from a single EVGA step-up thread:

ORIGINAL: magicstop

Absolutely do the step up. Here's my situation:
I just returned 2 9800 GTX KO's that I ran in SLI in favor of ONE 280 GTX FTW. Now... I do plan on adding a 2nd in a week or two, but I made the decision to return the 98's before I chose to add another. The fact is, the 200 series absolutely dogs the 9800's.

ORIGINAL: i_max2k2

@op did u notice my vanilla's actually clock better than ur ssc's lol and as I said 9800GTX SLI <= 1xGTX280

ORIGINAL: StretchMaK

The GTX260/280's are a way better cards then the 9800's. I almost did not do the step up and I am very happy I did. Do not worry about benchmarks, they mean nothing in real world game performance. The biggest thing I noticed over my 9800gtx's is how smooth games now play. Games play so good I have not even tried to overclock them yet.

Just pop into any thread about step-up in the EVGA GT200 series forum and you'll see people can't get rid of their SLI/GX2 set-ups fast enough for a single GT200 and are ultimately much happier for doing so.

Well, this reviewer who prefers single gpu's was entirely impressed with 48xx CF: http://www.guru3d.com/article/...rossfirex-performance/

Funny you came to that conclusion while glossing over the negative commentary like:

Guru3D
Obviously (and I hate to use that word, yet it is the reality) with multi-GPU setups, you are bound to run into problems as well. We surely had them as for example Frontlines would not even start, Crysis whatever we tried did not show performance improvements. Yet the rest .. dang .. that was showing really good scaling.

Or what he writes in the 9800GTX+ SLI review:

Personally my preference tends to go with single GPU based cards, honestly there's just less hassle and driver issues to worry about. In the end with a new game you'll need a new driver to get the best SLI support. That or creating a SLI profile from within the drivers itself and praying that it'll work. SLI however has matured a lot ever since it's release a couple of years ago and this definitely again was a pleasant experience.

So did you ever pull the trigger on that GTX 260? :laugh: Make sure to let us know what you think and don't worry, you don't have to be deceptive about your experience just to prove me wrong. I'm confident in my decision knowing I'll have the fastest single-GPU solution until the GT200 refresh so there will be no second guessing or temptations to go multi-GPU for me. ;)

ManWithNoName

Oct 19, 2007
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Originally posted by: jaredpace

if you're buying a $500+ 55nm gt200b, why not get the R700, which I'm sure will still be faster & more mature...??
Why would I pick a multi-GPU solution when I can have a single GPU instead?

I can't argue with this at all. I've had my heart set on the X2 from all the previews that I've seen, but if can Nvidia step up to the plate with a single GPU solution that offers even almost the performance of an X2 for a similar price, I would definitely consider going green again.

Jul 6, 2008
Chizow, I am not trying to justify my gpu purchase like you are, I didn't get taken to the cleaners like you did.

In the past five years I've had x800xl, 7800GT, 7900GT, 3870, 8800 GTS 320 and 640, 8800GTS G92,and currently 4850 CF.

Did I have the GTX 260 in the cart? You bet, as your rent-a-cop detective skills pointed out. Like alot of users, I run more than one machine and I'm all/for price performance just as much as anyone. For $225 yesterday it was pretty close, today back to $270, not even close. For $30 more I can Crossfire a couple of 4850's and absolutely destroy an overpriced GTX 280 let alone a lowly 260.

Did I buy it? No. Why you ask. Because it simply doesn't perform well in some of the games I run such as Flight Simulator. Take a look at these abysmal nVidia results: http://www.tomshardware.com/re...on-hd-4870,1964-6.html

The 260 and even your beloved 280 get smoked by the old 9800 and 8800 varieties and a $150 4850. The 280 is "flagship" correct?

I have used gpu's in single config, SLI, and CF. Is mutli the best in all situations, no. Crysis is so piss poor of an engine, I could care less about it. But for what I run right now, it's cheap and it's killer. $299.99, no rebates for 2 x 4850 :thumbsup:. That was at a time the GTX 280 was selling for $670. that's hell-a-funny.

4850 CF is by far the best, so good in fact that the GTX 280 would have to drop to the $300 price point before I'd buy. I think your comments apply more to older Crossfire. What I don't understand is people who tout their expertise without actually owning the product. That always has baffled me :confused: When you actually try it out, come back and discuss. Your comments will then have merit.

I just have a couple of questions for you, please answer honestly. Did you read the Guru3D review? How much better did 4850 CF do against GTX 280? ( an estimated percentage would be fine). What did you pay for GTX 280?

Thanks bro :thumbsup:

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Well the example (FSX) you just gave is probably a driver issue. But it seems that you've already made up your mind and ignored these possibilities as to why a card with twice the specs of a 9800GTX is performing abysmally.

Fact is, multi GPU setups will have its inherent issues. They do exist and has been documented. Some people like you have no problems with such issues while others do and i.e ignore any kind of multi GPU setups. Its as simple as this. Personally id too take a single GPU solution to a dual one. But thats just me and this doesnt mean one solution is better than the other, but they both have their pros and cons.

Jul 6, 2008
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
Well the example (FSX) you just gave is probably a driver issue. But it seems that you've already made up your mind and ignored these possibilities as to why a card with twice the specs of a 9800GTX is performing abysmally.

Fact is, multi GPU setups will have its inherent issues. They do exist and has been documented. Some people like you have no problems with such issues while others do and i.e ignore any kind of multi GPU setups. Its as simple as this. Personally id too take a single GPU solution to a dual one. But thats just me and this doesnt mean one solution is better than the other, but they both have their pros and cons.

Don't get me wrong, who wouldn't prefer a single card solution? Major bang for buck can be had with 4850 CF right now. The GTX 280 simply needs to come down quite a bit more in price as well as it's little sister 260.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Chizow, I am not trying to justify my gpu purchase like you are, I didn't get taken to the cleaners like you did.
Rofl, after rebates, cashback and ebay I can guarantee you I'll be spending less out of pocket than whatever it would've cost me to go multi-GPU. But I was fine with what I originally paid for my GTX 280, its everything I've expected without any of the problems of simply going SLI. I don't need to justify my purchase or proselytize the merits of the GTX 280 because it is what it is, the fastest single-GPU solution available and the best card for my needs.

Did I have the GTX 260 in the cart? You bet, as your rent-a-cop detective skills pointed out. Like alot of users, I run more than one machine and I'm all/for price performance just as much as anyone. For $225 yesterday it was pretty close, today back to $270, not even close. For $30 more I can Crossfire a couple of 4850's and absolutely destroy an overpriced GTX 280 let alone a lowly 260.
Yep, I'm sure CF works great, except when it doesn't scale at all or can't even run the game. :) There was no investigative skills needed to uncover your wavering confidence in CF, you simply made it too easy by posting in a thread I had already posted a rebate for. Unless you run workstations or gaming rigs for multiple individuals most users do not forego a single high-end solution for multiple mid-range parts.

Did I buy it? No. Why you ask. Because it simply doesn't perform well in some of the games I run such as Flight Simulator. Take a look at these abysmal nVidia results: http://www.tomshardware.com/re...on-hd-4870,1964-6.html

The 260 and even your beloved 280 get smoked by the old 9800 and 8800 varieties and a $150 4850. The 280 is "flagship" correct?
Yes, I'm sure you didn't buy it because of that 1 game that the GTX didn't perform well in, while ignoring the dozens of other titles that have scaling or compatibility problems with CF. LMAO.

I have used gpu's in single config, SLI, and CF. Is mutli the best in all situations, no. Crysis is so piss poor of an engine, I could care less about it. But for what I run right now, it's cheap and it's killer. $299.99, no rebates for 2 x 4850 :thumbsup:. That was at a time the GTX 280 was selling for $670. that's hell-a-funny.
And? If I wanted to daisy-chain 2 or 3 inferior cards and hope for more performance I would've done so long ago with G80 or G92. But I could never get past the fact I would be paying more for potentially less performance in some situations......which kinda defeats the point of upgrading to begin with.

4850 CF is by far the best, so good in fact that the GTX 280 would have to drop to the $300 price point before I'd buy. I think your comments apply more to older Crossfire. What I don't understand is people who tout their expertise without actually owning the product. That always has baffled me :confused: When you actually try it out, come back and discuss. Your comments will then have merit.
So I guess the 4870, 4870CF, 4870X2, GTX 260/280/SLI and anything faster than 4850CF have no reason to exist. I guess a 4870 would have to drop to $169 before you buy and the 4870X2 would have to drop to $309.98 before you buy based on whatever pricing suits you. Oh wait, no one really cares what you think. LOL.

Like I said, the evidence is all over the place and in-your-face. No one needs to experience SLI or CF to be aware of the problems, the ones who are using it first-hand detail the problems explicitly. That's like saying you need to visit the sun to prove it exists.

I just have a couple of questions for you, please answer honestly. Did you read the Guru3D review? How much better did 4850 CF do against GTX 280? ( an estimated percentage would be fine). What did you pay for GTX 280?

Thanks bro :thumbsup:
Well lets see, in Crysis its whatever the % faster than a single 4850 and I'm not sure you can get a percentage from 8 in Fuel of War. ;) I'd tell you how much my GTX 280 will ultimately cost me but I don't want you to feel bad about spending $300 on your CF set-up, especially since its certainly not indicative of what most people will pay for a GTX 280.

Jul 6, 2008
I knew you weren't a big enough man to answer those tough :confused: questions. Denial is a funny thing ain't it.

Evidence is also all over the place about 4850 CF dealing a seriously crushing blow to GTX 280.

I would have never replied to this thread in the first place, but your bullet list of mis-information was just to much to stomach.

You could redeem yourself by actually owning the product and then commenting. Otherwise it's just farts in the wind.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I knew you weren't a big enough man to answer those tough :confused: questions. Denial is a funny thing ain't it.

Evidence is also all over the place about 4850 CF dealing a seriously crushing blow to GTX 280.

I would have never replied to this thread in the first place, but your bullet list of mis-information was just to much to stomach.

You could redeem yourself by actually owning the product and then commenting. Otherwise it's just farts in the wind.

That's quite enough with the personal snide remarks, don't you think? We are all very glad you are in gaming Nirvana with your Xfired 4850's. Enjoy them as many others do. You have, and will have more problems with your setup than any given user with a single GPU ATI/Nvidia card.
There is a trade off. Anyone denying there isn't any, is purely disillusioned.

Now, how bout we get this thread back on topic?

Jul 6, 2008
It's ok for you to ignore his butchering of me keys, I am A-ok with that.

I don't have a problem with single gpu, that is what I use in my other machine (8800 GTS G92). I was looking to upgrade that machine to possibly a GTX 260/280, and probably will when prices fall to where they should be. It's good to have a couple of different setups for comparison.

However, it doesn't make alot of sense for me to buy nVidia, even right now, but it is getting closer. I see GTX 280 down to $380 AR which is good, but IMO, not good enough yet. Same goes for GTX 260.

AMD offered a very good, fair price to begin with, and they are being rewarded with good words and stellar sales.

nVidia wanting $650+ (or is that 650b) at launch for GTX 280 down to $380 AR a month later? :confused:

That's not even funny and should make people angrier than hell. :| It only exposed them as being greedy fools. I actually feel sorry for ol' Chiz.

Best single gpu experience....but brother, you will pay for it in p/p. Can't wait to see the "b" model prices. One thing for sure, nVidia, not going to get away pulling the wool for quite a while.....

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays

I completely agree Extelleron. Side note, I've never seen a moderator go to such extreme lengths to downplay a card before, it REALLY makes me question whether or not this guy should be moderating this forum. We have enough paid Nvidia zealots as it is that sour any non-Nvidia related discussion.

You really have a 90+ game rotation? I call bullshit man, what a joke. At least try and be believable. All the older legacy titles that CrossFire doesn't scale well in are fast enough on a single 4870 to turn up nearly all eye candy anyways so it's a moot point. In the games that matter (i.e. the newer titles that push the limits of current technology), CrossFire usually works. ATI is committed to getting compatibility better with each driver revision and now that multi-GPU is the way of the future it only makes sense for them to improve.

Rule 13, don't call out the moderators please.

-ViRGE
[/quote]

Ive accused BFG of having an ATi slant back in the day... So yeah... :laugh:

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
What tough questions? I've already acknowledged the 4870X2 trades wins up to 4xAA with GTX 280, and the 4870X2 is faster than the 4850CF so....

As for price, again, I've already told you I'll end up paying much less than what you paid for 4850CF but it doesn't really matter since that's not what most people will end up paying for their 280s.

Funny thing is I see people trading in 4850CF for GTX 280, and not vice versa. Wonder why? :)

I've already taken the time to show you're provably wrong in earlier replies with direct context quotes from your own sources. I could go down that bullet list and show multiple SLI-only examples that show those issues are very real. But would there be a point? You'd probably just misinterpret it as some anti-ATI/CF rant lol.

Honestly, why would I? Why would I downgrade to 4850CF or any other form of multi-GPU? It makes no sense whatsoever. :) Unlike you and "lots of people", I'm not Shiva with 4 pairs of arms and 3 heads and only have need for a single capable gaming rig.

It's ok for you to ignore his butchering of me keys, I am A-ok with that.
Uh no, you butchered yourself by somehow misconstruing my bullet list of multi-GPU problems as pro-NV and anti-ATI. You only made it worst by trumping up CF in one thread while looking to replace it in another.

AMD offered a very good, fair price to begin with, and they are being rewarded with good words and stellar sales.
Its a shame good words and stellar sales alone will not improve AMD's dire financial position. They badly underpriced their parts and while it worked for the month or so until NV reacted, they're now finding themselves in a price war that will not end favorably for them. Now that they've gone fabless there's not too much left on the farm to sell off.....

nVidia wanting $650+ (or is that 650b) at launch for GTX 280 down to $380 AR a month later? :confused:

That's not even funny and should make people angrier than hell. :| It only exposed them as being greedy fools. I actually feel sorry for ol' Chiz.

People willing to pay $650+ for a video card aren't going to cry over $100-200 here and there. Like I said before, I was fine with the price I paid at the time, that's the risk you take as an early adopter, the cashback offer just further emphasized NV and their partner's commitment to their customers. Did ATI do the same for their customers when they slashed R600 prices a month after release?

Best single gpu experience....but brother, you will pay for it in p/p. Can't wait to see the "b" model prices. One thing for sure, nVidia, not going to get away pulling the wool for quite a while.....
LOL, like I said, don't feel bad for me. I guarantee you I'm paying less than you did for your CF set-up and certainly less than what it would've cost me to SLI my 8800 GTX. :) B model prices don't really matter to me either, as it'll most likely result in a free or nearly-free step-up. :)

Jul 6, 2008
Wow Chiz, you are a bigger fanboy than I first realized. Again, I'm out of this thread if you'll take the time to answer a few SIMPLE questions. (I know tough was too tough for you.)

Did you read the Guru3D review? _____________

How much better did 4850 CF do against GTX 280? (an estimated percentage would suffice). ________________

What did you pay for GTX 280? ______________

How much better will 4850 CF do against GTX 280b? ________________

Thanks again bro :thumbsup:

BTW, Crysis runs just fine in Crossfire and scales well, better than single card for me. about a 25% increase :thumbsup: Guru couldn't get it going but did admit that other reviewers could.

And the endless dissections, belittling's, LOL's, LMAO's, blah, blah, etc. are entertaining (please continue) Keys obviously gives the green light to you.

More money exiting your wallet, and inferior performance. Personally, i've always liked it the other way around. Good thing you get a FREE step-up or will you??? I hear the "b" model is being delayed a few months..........j/k

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Wow Chiz, you are a bigger fanboy than I first realized. Again, I'm out of this thread if you'll take the time to answer 3 SIMPLE questions. (I know tough was too tough for you.)
That's hilarious given your initial to response of my list "smacking of nVidia" even with big NVIDIA ONLY PROBLEM dislaimers. LOL. Would it surprise me if your other 100 or so replies in the month you've joined were filled with similar bile? Not at all from the handful I've seen in this thread.

No. I don't need to see the same 5 games tested on the same set-ups over and over again, especially with Guru3D who just recycles most of their results from the same time frame.

How much better did 4850 CF do against GTX 280? (an estimated percentage would suffice). ________________
They trade wins, except when CF doesn't work and the 280 wins by a lot. :)

$659+20 shipping - (lots) = less than 4850CF

15-20% worst than it performs now.

NP :)

BTW, Crysis runs just fine in Crossfire and scales well, better than single card for me. about a 25% increase :thumbsup: Guru couldn't get it going but did admit that other reviewers could.
Once again, provably wrong. Done making stuff up and misinterpreting quotes?

Guru3D: So yeah, the overall experience was just splendid, with one exception, Crysis. But after checking with some colleagues .. I noticed that pretty much everyone is having the same difficulties with that title, Crossfire is a very hard thing to achieve on Crysis. And that has to be my word of advice to you guys .. for Crossfire to be able to kick in, AMD must update it's driver, and you'll need to install them on a very regular basis.

More money exiting your wallet, and inferior performance. Personally, i've always liked it the other way around. Good thing you get a FREE step-up or will you??? I hear the "b" model is being delayed a few months..........j/k
But I'll have peace of mind. That really is the key. I'll be sure to PM you if I see the 260 or 280 fall to whatever price you had hoped for so you don't have to keep stalking Newegg's prices. ;)

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Sheesh, we all know that the GTX 280 is the fastest single GPU in the market, but we all know that Crossfire performance had been improved dramatically, no more micro stuttering, much better scaling, etc. We all know that the HD 4850 in CF smokes the GTX 280 in almost all games (Except in some games which had issues and isn't far behind the GTX 280 either). Fanboys should be skinned alive.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Wow Chiz, you are a bigger fanboy than I first realized. Again, I'm out of this thread if you'll take the time to answer a few SIMPLE questions. (I know tough was too tough for you.)

And the endless dissections, belittling's, LOL's, LMAO's, blah, blah, etc. are entertaining (please continue) Keys obviously gives the green light to you.

What are you doing?

Jul 6, 2008
Wow Chiz, you are a bigger fanboy than I first realized. Again, I'm out of this thread if you'll take the time to answer 3 SIMPLE questions. (I know tough was too tough for you.)
That's hilarious given your initial to response of my list "smacking of nVidia" even with big NVIDIA ONLY PROBLEM dislaimers. LOL. Would it surprise me if your other 100 or so replies in the month you've joined were filled with similar bile? Not at all from the handful I've seen in this thread.

No. I don't need to see the same 5 games tested on the same set-ups over and over again, especially with Guru3D who just recycles most of their results from the same time frame.

Guru3D: So yeah, the overall experience was just splendid, with one exception, Crysis. But after checking with some colleagues .. I noticed that pretty much everyone is having the same difficulties with that title, Crossfire is a very hard thing to achieve on Crysis. And that has to be my word of advice to you guys .. for Crossfire to be able to kick in, AMD must update it's driver, and you'll need to install them on a very regular basis.

But I'll have peace of mind. That really is the key. I'll be sure to PM you if I see the 260 or 280 fall to whatever price you had hoped for so you don't have to keep stalking Newegg's prices. ;)

Thanks for that, very entertaining :beer:

$679 shipped....did that include an HDMI adapter. Both of my $150 4850's came with one.

I can understand looking at things with blinders on, but buddy, you take the cake. You're looking through very long milkshake straws at your precious GTX 280.

I know it does your ego good to keep justifying your purchase, so please, continue.....

Peace bro :cookie:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

Chizow, can you explain to us how 2 4850's plus a Xfire mobo costs more than 659.00?
What am I missing here?

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
so... the G200b... I literally had to look up the thread title cause after reading all those last post I completely forgot.

The G200b is now rumored for Aug 25... that is exactly 31 days from today. Pretty nifty. I got that GTX260 SC for the 225$ deal, no regrets there, I might even step up later if it goes by MSRP of original purchase rather then price of original purchase.

Anyone curious as to how well it will perform?

Jul 6, 2008
Originally posted by: taltamir
so... the G200b... I literally had to look up the thread title cause after reading all those last post I completely forgot.

The G200b is now rumored for Aug 25... that is exactly 31 days from today. Pretty nifty. I got that GTX260 SC for the 225$ deal, no regrets there, I might even step up later if it goes by MSRP of original purchase rather then price of original purchase.

Anyone curious as to how well it will perform?

You're out of luck. read eVga's step up policy. All you will receive is $225 off of msrp which will make it prohibitively expensive.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Thanks for that, very entertaining :beer:

$679 shipped....did that include an HDMI adapter. Both of my $150 4850's came with one.

I can understand looking at things with blinders on, but buddy, you take the cake. You're looking through very long milkshake straws at your precious GTX 280.

I know it does your ego good to keep justifying your purchase, so please, continue.....

Peace bro :cookie:

So much for "Again, I'm out of this thread if you'll take the time to answer a few SIMPLE questions." Given your lack of posting history and previous replies in this thread I'm finding it very hard to take anything you say seriously.

No my GTX 280 didn't come with an HDMI adapter, EVGA sent one upon registration. It also came with a free copy of 3DMark Vantage Pro, a lifetime warranty, 90-day step-up, EVGA Precision and an EVGA bubble sticker. But hey, you at least you got a picture of Mass Effect, an HDMI adapter and a sweet coffee warmer case sticker. :)

Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Chizow, can you explain to us how 2 4850's plus a Xfire mobo costs more than 659.00?
What am I missing here?
It doesn't, I was saying my GTX 280 will ultimately cost less than it would've cost me to go 4850CF or G80/G92 SLI. There's no point in saying how much I'll end up paying because my cash back hasn't come in yet and most people will not be getting a GTX 280 for how much I'll end up paying. :) The new price of $400-450 is great though and others like Taltamir are getting insane prices on the 260s. Odorous seems to think the price issue bothers me lol, it really doesn't. If anything its great to see others will see how impressive these parts are now that price is less of an issue.

Jul 6, 2008
I don't care if the price doesn't bother you Chiz, inferior performance for more than twice the price should drive you nuts.

Chizow:

"Given your lack of posting history and previous replies in this thread I'm finding it very hard to take anything you say seriously."

me:

"Given your long posting history and previous musings and replies in this thread I'm finding it very hard to take anything you say seriously."

Milkshake straws buddy, milkshake straws...............................