GT vs. GTS

conorvansmack

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2004
I'm stuck deciding between an 8800 GT and an evga 8800 GTS that comes with Crysis. I'm hoping for price drop next month after the 9800gx2 hits. My main dilemma is about the difference in price when Crysis is considered.

I have a 22" LCD, but it's doubtful that I'll play the game at 1600x1200 since I'd rather run AA and AF.

Can anyone help me with this decision?

Bearing360

Feb 22, 2008
Where are you doing your shopping? I know that newegg's bundle with a FREE Crysis game is marked up 40-50$ so it is really not free. Taking Crysis out of the equation and just going with the difference in prices on the graphics card would be a better comparison. Are you running dx9 or dx10. I do not own crysis or a system that could even try to run it but I have read ALOT about gpu's and Crysis because I am building a new system for gaming. From my understanding, you would be hard pressed to run it in dx10 with high settings and AA AF with a single card. With that said, if you are lowering your resolutions to play at the highest setting you can, the difference between the 2 cards would be minimal. Keeping the higher resolutions you would probably favor the GTS. But if budget is an issue I would say go for the GT. This is the best advice I can give considering my ignorance of not experiencing either card or Crysis.

conorvansmack

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2004
I plan on dual-booting Vista32 when I get the card so I can run dx10.

I've seen the markup and it's making me things that I'd be better off finding the game used.

conorvansmack

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2004
Is that card bigger than other GT's? That's definitely the best deal I've seen on a GT and it's darned purty. I wasn't able to find anything about the warranty at newegg or MSI's site.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
MSI has info on there site.

Covers software overclocking. 2 years parts and labor w/ shipping. Then 3 year parts.

Not too shabby tbh. Im waiting for 9800's though

conorvansmack

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2004
The warranty is good. It's not lifetime like some others, but I figure I'd be saving some money over those and getting a better, quieter cooler.

Thanks for the recommendation xColdSteelx!

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
MSI is pretty reputable. eVGA has step-up and lifetime if you register within 30 days. And as far as resale goes XFX has transferable warranty.