Gruesome weekend for Chicago

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Using your logic a town of 10 people where every single person in it was murdered would be safer than a town of 100,000 where 11 people were murdered. This is insane.

I'll take the place with 1000 people and 20 murders over the place with 3 million and 200 murders any day. Why? Because I can avoid people in the place with 1000 people where I can't with the place with 3 million. Being murdered by a stranger is all about random encounters. Where are random encounters more likely? In a place with more or less people? Unless you can show me a place where murders don't happen at all, I'll stick to my application of the numbers thank you very much.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I understand how to compare figures. You don't understand how to apply them. You are honestly trying to argue that Chicago is safer than BFE simple because of a rate. Like I said, if BFE population 1000 had a rate of 8 you'd be claiming Chicago is safer. Ridiculous. The denominator is a key factor in the rate, and you want to act like it doesn't matter. The fact remains, I'll have many more encounters in a place with 10X or even 100X the people.

This makes zero sense.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'll take the place with 1000 people and 20 murders over the place with 3 million and 200 murders any day. Why? Because I can avoid people in the place with 1000 people where I can't with the place with 3 million. Being murdered by a stranger is all about random encounters. Where are random encounters more likely? In a place with more or less people? Unless you can show me a place where murders don't happen at all, I'll stick to my application of the numbers thank you very much.

First you claimed that the murder rate in St. Louis was less than Chicago. This was shown to be factually incorrect. Next you fell back on lumping in the MSA against the Chicago city only figures, which isn't a valid comparison as any rational person can see. Next faced with the MSA figures that still bear out the original point that St. Louis is in fact more dangerous you've resulted to wild and totally wrong claims about how risk should be assessed.

You've gone ostrich on us.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

You're of course welcome to any opinion you want to hold, but I'm of the opinion that if you choose to live in a place with a murder rate of 2000 per 100,000 residents over a place with a murder rate of ~7 per 100,000 residents for safety reasons you are insane.

In your example 1 out of every 50 residents in your 'safe' town is being murdered every year and you want to live there because it's safe. That's horror movie levels of murder.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002

Actually, it'd be harder to avoid people in a small town than a large city with far more area.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
First you claimed that the murder rate in St. Louis was less than Chicago. This was shown to be factually incorrect. Next you fell back on lumping in the MSA against the Chicago city only figures, which isn't a valid comparison as any rational person can see. Next faced with the MSA figures that still bear out the original point that St. Louis is in fact more dangerous you've resulted to wild and totally wrong claims about how risk should be assessed.

You've gone ostrich on us.

Hey, when I get murdered in BFE you can dance all over my grave and yell I told you so. I hardly think I'll give a shit what you say, much like I do now.

You want to measure your safety using rates, go right ahead. You want to go to a city with 10X the people and 3X the murders, again go right ahead. But don't question when other people don't want to do it. To most people, what has happened is a little more important than what could happen regarding their safety.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Actually, it'd be harder to avoid people in a small town than a large city with far more area.

Try it sometime. Its really quite easy. I live in a town of 5000 and its my choice as to whether or not to interact with any of them. And yes I leave my house everyday. In a city of 3 million you have no choice unless you barricade yourself in your house.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
You're of course welcome to any opinion you want to hold, but I'm of the opinion that if you choose to live in a place with a murder rate of 2000 per 100,000 residents over a place with a murder rate of ~7 per 100,000 residents for safety reasons you are insane.

In your example 1 out of every 50 residents in your 'safe' town is being murdered every year and you want to live there because it's safe. That's horror movie levels of murder.

And in your world living in a city of 3 million is safer because of a number. Sheeple, gotta love em.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

what? that's insane.

you have is ass backwards. In a city of millions you can avoid most of the bad areas. I can walk around all the time in Chicago and be safe. I just have avoid some areas.

In a small town of 1k you actually can't do that. the whole area is small. not to mention 20 kills per 1000 is nuts. I would move and take my chances in the worst parts of chicago even though i'm white. it would be safer!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Try it sometime. Its really quite easy. I live in a town of 5000 and its my choice as to whether or not to interact with any of them. And yes I leave my house everyday. In a city of 3 million you have no choice unless you barricade yourself in your house.

You may want to see someone about your agoraphobia.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002

I've lived in small towns (2500) and large cities, there's always parts you avoid, if you value your safety.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
what? that's insane.

you have is ass backwards. In a city of millions you can avoid most of the bad areas. I can walk around all the time in Chicago and be safe. I just have avoid some areas.

In a small town of 1k you actually can't do that. the whole area is small. not to mention 20 kills per 1000 is nuts. I would move and take my chances in the worst parts of chicago even though i'm white. it would be safer!

You honestly think surrounding yourself with millions of people is safer than being in an area as sparsely populated as 1000?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
You honestly think surrounding yourself with millions of people is safer than being in an area as sparsely populated as 1000?

At a murder rate of 20 per 1000 I think juggling flaming chainsaws in a nitroglycerin plant would probably be safer.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
At a murder rate of 20 per 1000 I think juggling flaming chainsaws in a nitroglycerin plant would probably be safer.

Again, you ignore a minor detail. You can avoid a lot of chances at that probability my limiting interactions. Hell you could live in a place with a murder rate nearing 100% and manage to survive if you didn't give anyone the chance to murder you. Yeah that would be a miserable existence but the key word there is existence.

You could have a really good probability of winning the lottery too but it really doesn't matter if you don't take the chance and buy a ticket.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
https://vimeo.com/114912252

[Verse 1]
(Pow)
30-something shots from the ghetto gun
All in the ears of the ghetto young
Some ghetto girls, some ghetto sons
Throwing rocks at the bus and other ghetto fun
I always wondered where the ghetto from
Cause I'm from the ghetto, the never ghetto come
Buzz you in if the bell of my ghetto rung
And if the ghetto lose, that mean a ghetto won
That's how they do the ghetto, that's how the ghetto done
They keep it, they never bring the ghetto none
What make the ghetto tick, make the ghetto run
What make the ghetto sick, make the ghetto dumb
These n****s off that ghetto beer and that ghetto rum
And that ghetto bass with my ghetto drums
And my ghetto words and these ghetto problems get ghetto sums
That's why...

[Hook: Lupe Fiasco & Ty Dolla $ign]
The pizza man don't come here no more
Too much dope, too many n****s on the porch
So the pizza man don't approach (no, no, no)
Pizza man don't come here no more
Too many n****s on the block, too many n****s getting shot
So the pizza man don't stop (pow, pow, pow)
Too many n****s getting robbed, n****s don't wanna starve
But "n****s ain't got no jobs, blah blah blah"
Deliver, deliver, deliver

[Verse 2]
Is it cause they're selling nicks out there all day?
Cause a prostitute sucking dick in the hallway?
Little Caesar's never sending pizza out y'all way?
Papa Johns never get delivered where y'all stayed?
The ghetto was a physical manifestation
Of hate in a place where ethnicity determines your placement
A place that defines your station
Remind you n****s your place is the basement
White people in the attic
n****s selling dope, White people is the addicts
White folks act like they ain't show us how to traffic
All that dope to China, you don't call that trappin'?
Breaking Bad, learned that from a TV
So don't say it's politics when you see me
When you gon' apologize for your CD
n****, that don't match red and black to a GD

[Hook]

[Verse 3]
Can I get delivered from the sin?
Get a little slice of Heaven, I can enter in again
Or maybe just imagine that I'm living in a mansion
Or a palace and my pizza gets delivered in a Benz
Make a savior out of savage like they made it out of magic
So it take a n**** havoc and it make it into friends
You don't even need a salad, it don't make a n**** fatter
Actually take a n**** backwards and make a n**** thin
That's a deep dish, Chicago style get the peace stick
Home run hitter, I be drilling on the weak pitch
Pay into the plate then I put it in your face
I'm a man, never biting on the hands that I eat with
No Giordano or DiGiorno
Homemade Bull City bring it to him like a toro
Throwing dough up in the air-bottom to the top and shredder
Full of cheese smarter than a purple ninja turtle

[Hook]

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Hey, when I get murdered in BFE you can dance all over my grave and yell I told you so. I hardly think I'll give a shit what you say, much like I do now.

You want to measure your safety using rates, go right ahead. You want to go to a city with 10X the people and 3X the murders, again go right ahead. But don't question when other people don't want to do it. To most people, what has happened is a little more important than what could happen regarding their safety.
Most people are completely ignorant when it comes to math and statistics. That's why they think they'll win the Powerball jackpot but never get hit by lightning, think flying is more dangerous than driving, fear vaccines, etc. Most people are horrible at judging risk.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I understand how to compare figures. You don't understand how to apply them. You are honestly trying to argue that Chicago is safer than BFE simple because of a rate. Like I said, if BFE population 1000 had a rate of 8 you'd be claiming Chicago is safer. Ridiculous. The denominator is a key factor in the rate, and you want to act like it doesn't matter. The fact remains, I'll have many more encounters in a place with 10X or even 100X the people.

I stayed home because video games.

Me saying 'fuck that' because of Chicagoland violence was in jest. Humor being that I was saying it from St. Louis.

Chicagoland is bigger. More people. But you're still more likely to get stabbed, robbed, or shot in St. Louis standing on a street corner minding your own business.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

sure. when you have a murder rate of 20 per thousand. in a town of 1k? it's fucking small. very small.

Again, you ignore a minor detail. You can avoid a lot of chances at that probability my limiting interactions. Hell you could live in a place with a murder rate nearing 100% and manage to survive if you didn't give anyone the chance to murder you. Yeah that would be a miserable existence but the key word there is existence.

You could have a really good probability of winning the lottery too but it really doesn't matter if you don't take the chance and buy a ticket.

again you have it backwards. In a town of 1k you really can't avoid people or areas as much as you think.

in a city of millions it's rather easy. crime in huge cities tend to be in certain areas. While i hate big towns With you statistics you give i would rather live in Chicago in teh area of my choice then a tiny town that has 20 deaths per 1k. fuck that

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I stayed home because video games.

Me saying 'fuck that' because of Chicagoland violence was in jest. Humor being that I was saying it from St. Louis.

Chicagoland is bigger. More people. But you're still more likely to get stabbed, robbed, or shot in St. Louis standing on a street corner minding your own business.

True, true. I don't go to St. Louis often, but when I do, I'm packing.

Do you live in St. Louis City or just in the area, just curious. I took it as the area because I don't know anyone who compares St. Louis City with Chicago City for anything meaningful....besides baseball. :p

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
sure. when you have a murder rate of 20 per thousand. in a town of 1k? it's fucking small. very small.

Population wise its small, but its spread out. But most small towns that I know of aren't arranged vertically over a few blocks. And that number was an exaggeration of course. But whose to say it wasn't all at once from a serial killer on the loose passing through? Again, the rate doesn't tell you much regarding details.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Actually, just using the "per capita" murder rate as an indicator of "safety" is foolish. If you look at the map of Chicago (or any big city for that matter) and overlay the map with crime numbers, you'd quickly see where the violent crime is concentrated. If you are not in one of those areas, your odds of being the victim of a crime (not just murder by the way), are much much smaller.

If you're a resident of a city, you're much less likely to venture into places that are unsafe than if you are a visitor and stray into a bad area. I took a wrong turn in Detroit a few years back and in minutes was in very bad part of town.

Overall, most cities are safe if you stay out of the high-crime-concentration areas.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Actually, just using the "per capita" murder rate as an indicator of "safety" is foolish. If you look at the map of Chicago (or any big city for that matter) and overlay the map with crime numbers, you'd quickly see where the violent crime is concentrated. If you are not in one of those areas, your odds of being the victim of a crime (not just murder by the way), are much much smaller.

If you're a resident of a city, you're much less likely to venture into places that are unsafe than if you are a visitor and stray into a bad area. I took a wrong turn in Detroit a few years back and in minutes was in very bad part of town.

Overall, most cities are safe if you stay out of the high-crime-concentration areas.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
True, true. I don't go to St. Louis often, but when I do, I'm packing.

Do you live in St. Louis City or just in the area, just curious. I took it as the area because I don't know anyone who compares St. Louis City with Chicago City for anything meaningful....besides baseball. :p

Outside the city, but I work downtown.

There's a lot of variables. Odds are odds though. Statistically, in the core city, you're a tad bit safer in Chitown.

But that's one statistic. Once you start chasing the white rabbit of 'other variables' the entire risk factor gets obfuscated.

Example: Being blond haired blue eyed guy in a nice suit standing on the corner of a side street in East St. Louis at 11pm is absolutely a terrible, terrible idea. I'm sure there are street corners like that in ChiTown too.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Crime is not evenly spread across a city? You realize that's never been the case since the beginning of cities. Yet as still being components of the larger whole contribute to the indication of relative safety. If you want to start cherry picking I'm pretty sure I can demonstrate that Caracas is as safe as Beverly Hills.