GRRRRR how to get scratches out of hard plastic?

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
I have a good friend, who has good intentions, but ALWAYS breaks/harms my stuff. He borrowed my car, and was "hot water extraction" cleaning it (to be nice + he owed me a favor) and scratched my center console with the vacuum nozzle. Nothing extremely deep; but you can feel it with your fingernails.

Anyway to get scratches out of plastic like that?

Thanks

Jacob

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: se7enty7
I have a good friend, who has good intentions, but ALWAYS breaks/harms my stuff. He borrowed my car, and was "hot water extraction" cleaning it (to be nice + he owed me a favor) and scratched my center console with the vacuum nozzle. Nothing extremely deep; but you can feel it with your fingernails.

Anyway to get scratches out of plastic like that?

Thanks

Jacob
Maybe there is some way of filling in the scratches? Try some good body shops.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
You are worried about scratches in your center console? That is not hard plastic. Head light lenses are hard plastic.

The only thing that you'll be able to do to reduce the appearance of the scratches is to try to fill them in with one of those vinyl repair kits. Basically you put glue in the scratch and put a piece of tape over the glue that has a pattern in it. WHen the glue dries, the pattern stays and the tape peels off.

Good luck

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: radioouman
You are worried about scratches in your center console? That is not hard plastic. Head light lenses are hard plastic.

The only thing that you'll be able to do to reduce the appearance of the scratches is to try to fill them in with one of those vinyl repair kits. Basically you put glue in the scratch and put a piece of tape over the glue that has a pattern in it. WHen the glue dries, the pattern stays and the tape peels off.

Good luck

it IS hard plastic like the headlight lenses...

I think I'm going to try to sand it down with rough sandpaper, then spray paint it flat black like it was. It's in a place that is sort of difficult to see.. like inbetween the seats.. I called Nissan, and apparently there are 4 different shades of grey, and 2 shades of beige.. so I am pretty much SOL in getting one off of the bay (nissan needed my VIN to match the color..)

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
i used 400grit sandpaper with a little water and it got 80% of it out... not worth messing with anymore