GRRRR......50s society disgusts me >:| How did people ever manage to live?

Pyro

Banned
Sep 2, 2000
How did women ever live? How did people ever live?

Yuck, everything about the 50s disgusts me!

Read for yourself!

no wonder this sorta society produced the 60s society. Any body would want to rebel against that!

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
I need to print that out for my wife, lots of good tips there for her :)

EDIT:

halfway through the printing job, my wife found it, and knocked me out cold with a shovel.

djchemistry

Mar 9, 2000
hahaha...that's every man's dream! What's wrong with having a warm, prepared meal when you get back from work?

Pyro

Banned
Sep 2, 2000
link works. try refreshing.

jokes aside, would anyone really want to live in a fake, oppressive society like that?

Its not just the article. I mean, was america actually a free society back then? racism was common, people with different beliefs were ostracised from society, goverment was spreading propaganda like crazy.

I'd rather kill myself than live there.

Aenygma

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
You think thats bad? I am pissed I didnt grow up when computers hit.. I got a damn slinky when I was a kid... Here son, go play with this spring.
:disgust::frown::confused:

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
Nothing wrong with having a warm, prepared meal when you get back from work... but personally i WOULD like my wife to be human and actually have a personality (the article keeps reminding me of the robot in the jetsons for some odd reason). A little to messed up for my taste :disgust:

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Wow! That wasn't all that long ago. Many of our parents are the the people refered to as "the children" in that article. And just over 10 years before that, Hitler was executing Jews. We've come a long way from then, but there will probably always be progress to be made.

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
I love the 50s (aside from the social issues) i like the jazz music of the era, the science fiction of that time, even the movies of that time. :D

Pyro

Banned
Sep 2, 2000
Thanks Pretender. I wanna see how I can be saved from a nuke attack using a table.

I also wanna see if the stuff is really as bad as on the simpsons. (astromen ;))

Pyro

Banned
Sep 2, 2000
Thank you pretender. That turtle movie illustrates my point.

During the whole 10 mins, the only danger they mention is a sunburn and a flying glass. Gee, and here was lil dumb me thinking that radiation and extreme pressures could hurt me.

Apparently all I need is a thin cloth or a newspaper and I will be safe form the Abomb!

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
I loved the 50s: clean air, little traffic on the roads, people were polite, children had manners, schools taught instead of being childcare centers, great music, etc.

Elledan

Banned
Jul 24, 2000

<< I loved the 50s: clean air, little traffic on the roads, people were polite, children had manners, schools taught instead of being childcare centers, great music, etc. >>

...discrimination and racism, a government which was more like the government of the Soviet Union (propaganda), serious lack of personal freedom if you weren't a catholic male etc.

I watched some episodes of 'People's Century 1900-2000' on Discovery Channel, some of them were about the 50's. I must agree with Pyro: I'd rather kill myself than live there.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

<< . I mean, was america actually a free society back then? racism was common, people with different beliefs were ostracised from society, goverment was spreading propaganda like crazy. >>

Just like America in the year 2001

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
That is the fakest crap I've ever seen, someone has been doing some OCR....

his topics of conversation are more important than yours..

Oh give me a break!!! Even in the fifties, that kind of crap wouldn't fly.
Please understand, most people (the VAST majority, Im sure) didn't go along with that kind of crap.

Yes the fifties did have its problems, just like every other era in history.

Xede

Oct 15, 1999
Yeah, I hope you're enjoying all your righteous disdain for the fifties... It must feel good to be so enlightened and superior. That gif is a parody.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000

<< Yeah, I hope you're enjoying all your righteous disdain for the fifties... It must feel good to be so enlightened and superior. That gif is a parody. >>

You were right up until you said it's a parody.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000

<< people with different beliefs were ostracised from society >>

And this doesn't happen now? Yeah right.

Pyro

Banned
Sep 2, 2000

<<

<< people with different beliefs were ostracised from society >>

And this doesn't happen now? Yeah right.
>>

definately not as much. And that gif is no fake, I am sure because its consistent with other 50s crap I've seen, like one 'documentary' (aka propaganda) that refered to a woman as &quot;wifey&quot;. Why dont you call a woman that today and see how many teeth you're left with afterwards.

SuperCyrix

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Why cant women be more like that today? Ever wonder why divorce rates have been climbing over the years?

Today's women:

- They stay home, don't cook, and don't do house work.

- They will let you have it if you don't find time outside of your busy work scedual to spend enough time with them even though all they do is sit on the sofa all day.

- If they do work, most the time they make way less than you and it costs even more money to hire a house keeper and somebody to take care of the children.

- Get ready to be dragged on the Springer show.

Feb 24, 2001
dont worry pyro, in 50 years everyone will think you lived like an ass too :) your kids will make fun of your clothes, and get pissed that you helped little old ladies.

Pyro

Banned
Sep 2, 2000

<< dont worry pyro, in 50 years everyone will think you lived like an ass too :) your kids will make fun of your clothes, and get pissed that you helped little old ladies. >>

nah, probably not. I dont hate all past societies. The 60s were cool, I wish I could've been there.

they'll probably make fun of me (and all of us) that I once had a computer that sat on a desk and was downloading stuff at a measely 1Mbps! ;)