Grrr PC started to reboot during games recently

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Finally ran that memtest over night, this was what I got:

py1Fw0B.jpg

So, seems like bad RAM is ruled out?

CS:GO did a reboot again, but it took a lot longer so I had gotten my hopes up... I still feel there's a possibility it's game-specific so today I'm hoping to log some substantial time in Crysis 3 or something.

Aug 11, 2008
I had a very similar problem with my PC spontaneously rebooting mainly during gaming, and it was due to an overheating power supply because the fan was sticking.

jhh979s

Sep 13, 2006
How is your PSU mounted, and where does your case set? If you have the PSU mounted with the fan on the bottom like the case is designed for, and the case is setting on anything other than a hard, flat surface, then most likely your PSU is overheating and restarting your pc. A friend of mine had this exact same problem. PSU mounted "upside-down", but the case was setting on carpet.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
My friend who is watching some of Dota 2 TI3 with me saw this thread when I was browsing and he said he had a similar problem years ago. He said anytime he launched anything that was 3D related his computer would reset, he couldn't figure out what the problem was over a few months and broke down and took it to a shop and they found out it was the CPU. So he swapped out the CPU and sure enough that was the problem he said.

Sorry you haven't found the problem yet though :(

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I also have a GTX 670 GPU and any driver later than the 314.22's is guaranteed crash in multiple games for me. Back to 314.22 and crash isn't in the vocabulary.

Last edited:

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
- Case is on a hard desk, elevated, PSU fan facing out the rear of the PC, and possibly toward the desk if there's another fan on it's underside.

- Ran StarCraft 2 (on very high settings) today for several hours, no reboot.

May try 314.22 drivers.