Grrr citibank claims I didnt put my check in the envelope! wtf to do?

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So I deposit my loan check for $1700 in the ATM. Never had a problem with it before.

Today I get a letter in the mail saying that the check wasnt in there, so I call the CSR. She tells me she can do an investigation on it, that the check is prob still in the ATM or something whatever...

Anyway, this is a signed check, and I am absolutely 10000% positive I put it in the envelope and sealed it. My schools bursars office is closed so as far as I can tell, theres no way for me to stop the check until tommorrow. And the CSR told me that if I did stop the check, I'd get nailed with a bad check fee when they eventually find it.

Anyways, I assume they have cameras like hounds over all the citibank check employees to prevent one of them from stealing it? I dunno about how check cashing places work or whatever, but if the check was cashed wouldnt it be ridiculously easy to trace from the account?

MrYogi

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
check? it should nt be a problem. get another check.
but never deposit cash in an atm

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Tell them to stop the investigation and get someone's name and a confirmation on this. That way, if they ever do find it (like a year later), they cannot automatically deposit it and try to hit you up on a bad check fee. Sounds almost like a scam to me.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Get a new check. I've never had a single thing lost but am starting to wonder if the US has less safe guards against ATM deposits than Canada (honestly!), based on what I've heard. I deposit checks in ATMs and small amounts of cash, but anything significant I will bring to a teller.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: MrYogi
...but never deposit cash in an atm
Old wives tail.
I only use ATMs and I have never lost any money. Been using them since the early 80s.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Old wives tail.
I only use ATMs and I have never lost any money. Been using them since the early 80s.

Only time I ever used an ATM for cash I lost 100 fvcking dollars. Glad you had good luck, but it isn't an old wives tell.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Millennium
Old wives tail.
Only time I ever used an ATM for cash I lost 100 fvcking dollars. Glad you had good luck, but it isn't an old wives tell.
yeah, i have heard some nightmare stories on these forums about people losing whole paychecks and not recovering them after depositing in an ATM.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well, I guess Ill just call the bursar tommorrow and get them to stop the check.

On a slightly ironic note, guess what company I get my student loan from?

psianime

Golden Member
Mar 16, 2002
Hey, I found $1700 under my matress today. j/k

I've stopped putting cash into ATMs since one of my friends put in $300 cash (what a fool) into an ATM machine never to see it again. I also hate going to the teller because my bank is always crowded. Maybe I'll go Monday morning ish.

rival

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2001
i forgot to put my paycheck into the envelope once and the next time i went to the atm it ate my card :(

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Get a new check. I've never had a single thing lost but am starting to wonder if the US has less safe guards against ATM deposits than Canada (honestly!), based on what I've heard. I deposit checks in ATMs and small amounts of cash, but anything significant I will bring to a teller.

i didnt even know canada has banks let alone atms!

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000
Originally posted by: anxi80
Old wives tail.
yeah, i have heard some nightmare stories on these forums about people losing whole paychecks and not recovering them after depositing in an ATM.

Never trust anecdotes about things being safe.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: CTho9305
Old wives tail.

I agree, personal experience means nothing. We are all sheep must think/experience the exact same thing or life as we know it will come to an end.

rolleye.gif

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
It's not an old wives tale....

Things you must consider are 1) thieves....sure they can't do it more than once, but if you are there mark....2) jerks (I'd have used a better word)...they may just trash your check because they are pissed being called in to work on their day off.

I lost one check via ATM, it was replaced the next day however most companies in that situation may require up to 6 months to cut a new check.

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000
Originally posted by: CTho9305
Old wives tail.

I agree, personal experience means nothing. We are all sheep must think/experience the exact same thing or life as we know it will come to an end.

rolleye.gif
I know people who have smoked all their lives and lived long lives. Yep, I bet smoking is safe! Why not take up smoking?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Rule of thumb. NEVER put cash into a ATM machine, and never put a check over $500 in a ATM machine.