GRRR 1 1/2 months later, 2 weeks before delivery, Sears cancels my order

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Ordered a side by side fridge Feb 8
Paid $1300 up front.
Remodeling kitchen... will be done (hopefully) this weekend. Fridge is supposed to be delivered soon afterward.

Phone message yesterday - order was cancelled because they can't get them any more. (Each year, GE puts out a new model which means they change the letters on the model name and change nothing else... the new model is identical.)

I wouldn't be quite as irritated, except Sears said they can't find a comparable model to replace it with... (the new model is friggin identical!). Now, I miss out on the rebate on the fridge. And (this is the worst part) the message said they had been trying to contact us for a week (no calls on caller i.d. - strange... yet, THEY STILL HAVEN"T (a week after cancellation) CREDITED MY ACCOUNT!

What should I do? Should I demand that they sell me the new model at the original price, *AND* give me the rebate? (The original price was a price match, which brought down the price significantly)

Should I demand they pay me interest on the $1300 they've had for 1 1/2 months - at the rate they charge for interest?

Nonetheless, I could have paid for it at Home Depot and drove home with it the day I ordered, but I went to Sears instead and bought it there. I've enjoyed shopping at Sears - bought a foosball table, big screen tv, clothes dryer, and almost the fridge through them during the last year... but this really really pisses me off that they couldn't figure out that they couldn't get any of these until a couple of days after the rebate period expires.

cliffnotes: Sears screws me over, but waited 1 1/2 months to do so.

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
call the dept. manager. make sure to tell him all the business you given them lately, and im sure he will do what he can to make it right.

good luck!

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Should I demand that they sell me the new model at the original price, *AND* give me the rebate? (The original price was a price match, which brought down the price significantly)

Should I demand they pay me interest on the $1300 they've had for 1 1/2 months - at the rate they charge for interest?

Absolutely on both counts. Demand justice. And whatever you do, don't let them charge any interest on you. It's killer. My parents were in debt to them for years.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I have a side by side I would be willing to sell to you.

But you are right GE does that frequently with their models. My side by side is a GE. When I bought it, I didn't realize it was a new model. Found another almost identical, except for the model number. It was also couple of hundred dollars less. Called GE to find out what was going on and the CSR tried to say "well the new model has this and that" I tell her the old model has the same things. She finally just stated that the new model is the new model, all models are renewed annually and some do not really have any new additions to them. What a crock.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Not cool! Sears not keeping things in stock is the reason I didn't buy a bigscreen in january.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
DrPizza: I sell appliances and I think I know of a way to at least come out a little ahead on your whole ordeal.