Grr!!!!! Relatives! (AKA - My basement is too darn hot)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
She's old and you may only see her a couple more times before she dies. If she likes it warm let her keep it warm. Its only another day or two.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Sick elderly women have much different needs than us, especially regarding temperature. But lol at how you had to find out about it.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Electric heat. Basement wants to be the ground temp, which is 68 degrees. Basically requires the electric baseboard to run 24/7 to keep it at 90

Don't mean to get off-track, but your electricity is probably provided by natural gas plants (at lease the majority are down here in Texas). Based on your expectation, that's damn expensive natural gas up there.. I will have my pool pump on 20 hours a day and two AC units on most of the day and my monthly bill will be about $350. Can't imagine what it would be in NH.

As for the 90 degrees, I'm sure it feels like a heat-wave hitting you straight in the face.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Don't mean to get off-track, but your electricity is probably provided by natural gas plants (at lease the majority are down here in Texas). Based on your expectation, that's damn expensive natural gas up there.. I will have my pool pump on 20 hours a day and two AC units on most of the day and my monthly bill will be about $350. Can't imagine what it would be in NH.

As for the 90 degrees, I'm sure it feels like a heat-wave hitting you straight in the face.

there aren't a lot of NG plants in NE, the source is coming from something else

when we lived in Maine it was electric, pellets or a giant oil tank outside your house

no NG avail

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
yeah, I'd be pulling the breaker for the basement heat and telling her that it must have broke, especially if there is an electric blanket available.

That. There is no excuse to run the heat in the summer, ever.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That wouldn't happen at my house. I'm out in the heat all day, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna deal with it in my house. She'd be welcome to all the sweaters and blankets she desired. If she asked nicely, I'd even take her shopping for more, but the heat *will not* be turned on in July. or August-October as far as that goes. I'd be willing to consider November since I'm such a nice guy...

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
there aren't a lot of NG plants in NE, the source is coming from something else

when we lived in Maine it was electric, pellets or a giant oil tank outside your house

no NG avail

Nuke plant. Seabrook nuclear to be specific.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
i left my thermostat set to 90 once and then went to work

came home and the place was hot as hell

shouldn't be more than a couple bucks on your bill

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
The moment she leaves, set an alarm for 5 AM and get all the box fans you can muster and purge that sucker out. 5 AM air is typically heavenly .