Grphics Blaster TNT 1 & Windows 2000

Herkulese

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2001
I am reconfiguring an older system for the son of a friend, and am having the following problem:

This was a windows 98 system and the TNT card seemed to work fine, but now when I install windows 2000 (Yes Fresh Install) it automatically puts in its own Creative Graphics Blaster TNT driver, rather than the typical standard PCI VGA driver, and when I change the video to anything other that C, the basic 640 x 480 and/or 16 colors, the screen goes black and does not come back. When I reboot, it goes through the black status bar, then the colored Windows status bar and then right when the desktop is supposed to come up, the screen goes black.

If I go to save mode and get it reset back to 640 x 480 and 16 colors, it continues with the screen going black just when the desk top is supposed to come up. The only way to get it back is to remove the driver and let windows reinstall it.

If we try to remove the driver and install any other driver, it always shows up as the same driver that we start with, and we continue to have the same problem.

Q1) Does any one have any ideas about what is going on and/or how to fix it?
Q2) What is the best Detonator for the TNT 1 and Windows 2000?

BTW, this is an old PC-Chips Slot 1 AT MoBo with a Celeron 266 @ 400 (Yes we have tried everything at the standard 266 with the same results). If I can get this all working, I have a 366 that I want to try at 550 (This CPU ran at 550 for a year and an half on an Abit BX6 with no problems).

Herkulese

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2001
This TNT-1 works fine with Windows 98SE but has problems in Windows 2000, even with the standard Graphics Blaster TNT driver that 2000 installs.

Does anyone have any info on running the TNT-1 with Windows 2000?

PepperBreath

Sep 5, 2001
I never had a problem with my TNT and Win2k. Granted, I had a Canopus TNT although I don't think that would make a significant difference.

Try installing the 12.41 Detonators. You can get them from 3DChipset.com.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Well, since you are able to post, I assume you are able to download some drivers... just download Nvidias latest drivers from there page (30.82), and change drivers from the Creative to Nvidia's reference, and you should be able to set whatever settings available on your TNT.

PepperBreath

Sep 5, 2001
The latest detonators don't support TNT1. Check the inf file.

That's why I use the 12.41. They're the last official drivers that support the TNT1. The latest from Nvidia's site don't work. They'll install but on the reboot, you're stuck with whatever you were using before. They don't "stick" so to speak.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Ah, Yes, I forgot...

Then head to Guru3d for the latest drivers for the TNT... I was looking around, and the 30.20s supposedly support all Nvidia cards...

I used to run a TNT1 in Windows2000, I never had any problems with it.

PepperBreath

Sep 5, 2001
Opps. You might be right about the 30.20s. The ones that didn't work for me were the 29.42s which were the latest at the time I intsalled them, just a few weeks ago.