Growing Up Unvaccinated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
For you people who think I am an anti-vaccine nutter, here ya go.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...ifestyle_couldn_t_prevent_many_childhood.html

Story of a girl who was raised by anti-vaccine parents in the 1970s. She almost died, had friends who were deaf,,, and other complications caused by lack of vaccinations.

Something I can relate to her story,

I got many illnesses requiring treatment with antibiotics.

I caught all kinds of diseases in the 70s that are vaccine preventable now. Thankfully I am one of the lucky ones and have no long term health conditions. Some people are not so lucky though.

Last edited by a moderator:

SaurusX

Nov 13, 2012
I noticed how the anti-vax queen Jenny McCarthy recently changed her tune. Turns out her son doesn't have autism after all. After all these years she's still hot, though.

Feb 4, 2009
Per Jenny on when she was on the Stern Show a couple of months ago, she is not a fan of multiple vaccines given to children in a short period of time.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
For you people who think I am an anti-vaccine nutter, here ya go.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...ifestyle_couldn_t_prevent_many_childhood.html

Story of a girl who was raised by anti-vaccine parents in the 1970s. She almost died, had friends who were deaf,,, and other complications caused by lack of vaccinations.

Something I can relate to her story,

I caught all kinds of diseases in the 70s that are vaccine preventable now. Thankfully I am one of the lucky ones and have no long term health conditions. Some people are not so lucky though.

So what is your position anyway? Vaccines may not *that* bad for you? That if you're a pregnant nurse, you should have the right to not only refuse vaccination (putting yourself, the baby, and the patients you serve at increased risk), but demand a job transfer from your employer based on some completely unscietific rationale? That if we don't perform vaccine studies on specifically targeted micro-audiences using whatever pseudo-scientific criteria that you find acceptable, that we're "oppressing women" somehow?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
So what is your position anyway?

As I have said numerous times, I am pro-vaccine.

However, I feel that we should have control of what goes into our bodies.

In before

How being unvaccinated lowers the herd immunity rate.

And how public health trumps civil rights.

And how the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

You shouldn't have complete control, because at some point some negative side effect(s) of what goes into your body are felt by someone somewhere. It's a consequence of living near, uh, people.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
You shouldn't have complete control, because at some point some negative side effect(s) of what goes into your body are felt by someone somewhere. It's a consequence of living near, uh, people.

20% of gay men have HIV. 53% of infants are fed by the federal government.

Is it okay for the government to regulate gay sex and pregnancy?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
As I have said numerous times, I am pro-vaccine.

What "goes into your body" WRT vaccines isn't that mysterious. To your credit, I haven't seen you endorse homeopathic bullshit like nosodes either so at least you're consistent (albeit wrong).

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Per Jenny on when she was on the Stern Show a couple of months ago, she is not a fan of multiple vaccines given to children in a short period of time.
She's probably right. Your body thinks the vaccine is a real threat, and it does exactly what it would do if the disease were active. This is why flu vaccines almost always cause flu-like illness. Now imagine you get several vaccines within a month. Your body thinks you have rabies, hep C, polio, the flu, and ebola. All at the same time. I wouldn't be shocked if you could die or have permanent brain damage from something like that. Your body will nearly kill itself if that's what it takes to kill the infection.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
You body doesn't respond to all those different diseases individually it would respond with the few mechanisms it has available to the capacity it has.
It isn't a muliplyer effect

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
20% of gay men have HIV. 53% of infants are fed by the federal government.

Is it okay for the government to regulate gay sex and pregnancy?

Gay men can't donate blood in many cases. You can be charged with aggravated assault for having sex without disclosing you have an STD. There are many movements to make contraception free (and certain types are government provided). The infant statistic should instead read: x% of babies are born into poverty, and feeding those babies is government intervention.

The government already is taking action on those statistics.

A false equivalency built on a straw man. Bravo!

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
She's probably right. Your body thinks the vaccine is a real threat, and it does exactly what it would do if the disease were active. This is why flu vaccines almost always cause flu-like illness. Now imagine you get several vaccines within a month. Your body thinks you have rabies, hep C, polio, the flu, and ebola. All at the same time. I wouldn't be shocked if you could die or have permanent brain damage from something like that. Your body will nearly kill itself if that's what it takes to kill the infection.

She is not right and you are not either. There is basically no limit to the amount of vaccines you can get besides tolerance of pain from the shots. There is no evidence that combo vaccines cause dangerous immune responses or decreased vaccination efficacy.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
But gay rights groups are fighting so gay men can donate blood.

They call gay men being able to donate blood progress for gay rights.

That's nice. What does that have to do with the topic, nehalem's post, or my post?

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
You body doesn't respond to all those different diseases individually it would respond with the few mechanisms it has available to the capacity it has.
It isn't a muliplyer effect

I(we, wife and I) spent extra co-pay to stagger our childs vaccines(hes just about 11 months now).

I think it was totally worth it.

its rough on the little ones, they get all feverish and lethargic and their bodies fight with the vaccines, I cant imagine injecting MORE crap into them

you are correct that it isn't a multiplier, you just shit the body has to deal with

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Gay men can't donate blood in many cases. You can be charged with aggravated assault for having sex without disclosing you have an STD.

But no actual restriction on gay sex huh? Pretty sure those were struck down by the supreme court.

There are many movements to make contraception free (and certain types are government provided).

Do I need to explain to you why contraception is useless with regard to gay sex?

The infant statistic should instead read: x% of babies are born into poverty, and feeding those babies is government intervention.

Only in the same way that treating people that don't get vaccines is. Nice try. Sounds like you are arguing the government refuses to tell people what to do with their bodies, and in fact bails out bad behavior.

But gay rights groups are fighting so gay men can donate blood.

They call gay men being able to donate blood progress for gay rights.

You can also find groups complaining about spreading HIV being criminal.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Vaccinations are necessary, but you cannot make any conclusions based on life events of one person. Its a meaningless statistic. Good enough for TV and magazines though.

Status
Not open for further replies.