Ground Zero Mosque Founder Wants Sharia Law In US

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Get back to me when Christians have their own theocratic system of law. Then, get back to me again once they try to implement it.

We already saw how fucked up that was with the Mass bay Colony, there's no way we're going to let an even more insecure religion implement theirs

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
and all the liberals are just ready to cut their heads off so islam can build a McMosque.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
and all the liberals are just ready to cut their heads off so islam can build a McMosque.
Doesn't being a quivering scared little bitch ever get to you? How do you leave the house or do you?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Suddenly the rightwingers believe in separation of church and state! Glad you finally came around.

It is too bad that it took the threat of Muslim influence to get them there. When laws appeared to be Christianity based they were all for it.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Get back to me when Christians have their own theocratic system of law. Then, get back to me again once they try to implement it.

Er, they're already trying to implement it, step by step. Prayer in public school. Teach creation and not evolution in public schools. Religious symbology on public buildings. Legislate Christian morality - abortion ban, stem cell research, no right to assisted suicide, etc. I don't necessarily believe they'll succeed as there's a lot of push back, but it isn't for lack of trying.

As for Muslims, to answer your question above, I DO see a threat from radical Islam, but not in this form. Islam isn't going to take over the U.S. Government, implement Sharia law in this country, etc. Not going to happen, and anyone thinking otherwise is deluded.

- wolf

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Er, they're already trying to implement it, step by step. Prayer in public school. Teach creation and not evolution in public schools. Religious symbology on public buildings. Legislate Christian morality - abortion ban, stem cell research, no right to assisted suicide, etc. I don't necessarily believe they'll succeed as there's a lot of push back, but it isn't for lack of trying.

Christians see the abolishment of prayer in public school as the gradual encroachment to expunge religion from the country, all in the guise of separation of church and state. Secularists, on the other hand, see precisely the opposite: the gradual encroachment of christian theocracy. Whatever the motivation, sharia law is different. Nothing that Christians have ever supported comes close to the level of theocratic control that sharia imposes. I don't see how you can possibly think otherwise.

As for Muslims, to answer your question above, I DO see a threat from radical Islam, but not in this form. Islam isn't going to take over the U.S. Government, implement Sharia law in this country, etc. Not going to happen, and anyone thinking otherwise is deluded.

- wolf

You don't think that's a tad naive? Do you not think any of the European countries saw this coming 50 years ago? In a nation which struggles to condemn radical islam, is it such a far fetched allegation that as the muslim population grows, they'd want to bring their system of law with them?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
That's alright I lived in Saudi Arabia for a year it wasn't that bad, if you're a man like I am. And we get to get rid of deviant liberals and criminals once and for all. I actually surprised the Christian right is so opposed to this. Islam is just Christianity with force, a little nudge, called head chopping.

Last edited:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
You don't think that's a tad naive? Do you not think any of the European countries saw this coming 50 years ago? In a nation which struggles to condemn radical islam, is it such a far fetched allegation that as the muslim population grows, they'd want to bring their system of law with them?
Well they better get busy making babies because there isn't a huge influx of them immigrating like there was/is in Europe. They have a long ways to go to even catch up with the Mexicans. The way I see it you are just a follower of one insecure Religion worried about another Insecure religion. Both groups have a right to their beliefs. I can't deny the Muslims theirs without denying yours and I wouldn't want too. You on the other hand..well your goals are similar to those of the Muslims.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
That's alright I lived in Saudi Arabia for a year it wasn't that bad, if you're a man like I am. And we get to get rid of deviant liberals and criminals once and for all. I actually surprised the Christian right is so opposed to this. Islam is just Christianity with force, a little nudge, called head chopping.
And it's no surprise you enjoyed the totalitarian lifestyle.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Do they have enough room for something this big?

Jama_Masjid_is_the_largest_mosque_in_India._Delhi,_India..jpg

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
And it's no surprise you enjoyed the totalitarian lifestyle.

I didn't say I enjoyed it. I said it was not that bad. Actually the nicest people I ever met was in Saudi so that was good part but how they keep the nice is not so good ie totalitarianism and brutality for even minor crimes. I also enjoyed having Egyptian driver and two maids from Philippians. I also liked that taxis were Mercedes 500Es. Jeddah and red sea is beautiful. I made a ton of money and $95,000 of it was tax free. I would no go back, made my seed money - but it was not that bad. I need to post some videos I took - we've never seen wealth like they have.

I didn't see the more religious aspects since my employer was a prince and on a huge compound in Riyadh ...they are Muslim in name only, not fundis, for the most part but one of the most annoying things was morning calls to prayer which woke me up at around 5am. Loud as fuck and often like 5 times a day.

Last edited:

NoWhereM

Oct 15, 2007
This happened where? Oh yeah that shithole Pakistan not here.

Facebook's headquarters are located in Palo Alto, California. Perhaps a shithole, I wouldn't know, but not part of Pakistan.

"In response to our protest, Facebook has tendered their apology and informed us that all the sacrilegious material has been removed from the URL," said Najibullah Malik, secretary of Pakistan's information technology ministry, referring to the technical term for a Web page.

Facebook assured the Pakistani government that "nothing of this sort will happen in the future," Malik said.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Facebook's headquarters are located in Palo Alto, California. Perhaps a shithole, I wouldn't know, but not part of Pakistan.

"In response to our protest, Facebook has tendered their apology and informed us that all the sacrilegious material has been removed from the URL," said Najibullah Malik, secretary of Pakistan's information technology ministry, referring to the technical term for a Web page.

Facebook assured the Pakistani government that "nothing of this sort will happen in the future," Malik said.
Facebook is a private company. They can do whatever the eff they want.

If Zuckerberg wants to ban Smurfs because he hates the color blue, he can.

If he wants to ban sacrilegious content so Facebook can keep their Pakistani accounts (and ad revenue) active, he can.

Facebook is no the US government. Facebook does not have the power to establish laws in the US.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Christians see the abolishment of prayer in public school as the gradual encroachment to expunge religion from the country, all in the guise of separation of church and state. Secularists, on the other hand, see precisely the opposite: the gradual encroachment of christian theocracy. Whatever the motivation, sharia law is different. Nothing that Christians have ever supported comes close to the level of theocratic control that sharia imposes. I don't see how you can possibly think otherwise.

Nothing they've EVER supported eh? I think you need to look back at what forms of government Christian nations have had throughout the better part of their history, then examine the attitudes and beliefs of modern day fundie Christians. I'm not talking about the mainstreamers here. I'm talking about the modern day evangelicals whose beliefs would have been mainstream hundreds of years ago.

So far as fundies supposedly fearing the expungement of religion, with 80%+ of the coutnty being Christian, churches on every other street corner, and tax exempt status, I think that's a phantom concern, a cover.

You don't think that's a tad naive? Do you not think any of the European countries saw this coming 50 years ago? In a nation which struggles to condemn radical islam, is it such a far fetched allegation that as the muslim population grows, they'd want to bring their system of law with them/

The Muslim population has not been growing much as a percentage of the U.S. population in recent years IIRC. They are about 1-2% right?

Let's put it this way. If I were to say, in 50 years we will have a theocracy in this country for sure, and it will be either an Islamic theocracy or a Christian one. Which is the more likely of the two? That's a rhetorical question, I think.

- wolf

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

The median single family home price as of May 30 2010 for PALO ALTO is $1,593,654. It's a real hell hole.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

And that proves that the Muslims have power here in America? As Jpeyton said that's a Private company, if they want to KowTow to the Paks that's their business and of course it was all about the quan. It still hasn't any effect on the American Public. Hell Singapore, China and a host of other countries have their own censorship that private companies have to abide by when doing business in those countries.

NoWhereM

Oct 15, 2007
And that proves that the Muslims have power here in America? As Jpeyton said that's a Private company, if they want to KowTow to the Paks that's their business and of course it was all about the quan. It still hasn't any effect on the American Public. Hell Singapore, China and a host of other countries have their own censorship that private companies have to abide by when doing business in those countries.

Except that the American Public can no longer post "sacrilegious material" on Facebook.

I'm not saying I agree with the op or disagree with the op. You used the Draw Mohammed day as an example of how they can't touch us, which was pretty ironic since the Facebook page had already been nuked.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Except that the American Public can no longer post "sacrilegious material" on Facebook.

I'm not saying I agree with the op or disagree with the op. You used the Draw Mohammed day as an example of how they can't touch us, which was pretty ironic since the Facebook page had already been nuked.

But it was nuked after the fact. They let it get as far as they did even under full protest. They're just trying to please everyone as best they can. Welcome to business.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Well first of all I don't see a mass immigration of Muslims to this country unlike Britain and Europe. They colonized predominately Muslim countries in the past so they absorbed many where as we didn't and won't. Secondly if you want to see Xenophobia just go to Arizona or read some of the threads in this forum, especially those by Wingnuts that condemn all those who practice Islam.

Which is why I give it a few decades assuming the country continues to get more liberal and a host of other factors happen. As for the xenophobia, I didn't say it doesn't exist, but Arizona and this forum are kinda extreme examples. There's always the other extreme to look at.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Doesn't being a quivering scared little bitch ever get to you? How do you leave the house or do you?
Yes, let's all ponder the fearless nature of liberals, who are scared of nothing. Oh, except that posting the Ten Commandments will usher in a fundamentalist state religion. Oh, and apples treated with alar. Oh, and that talk radio will bring the Klan to power. Oh, and that failure to use tax dollars to support placing a crucifix in a jar of urine will result in a nation without art. Oh, and that allowing parents to actually raise their own children without government direction will result in "bad citizens". Oh, and that allowing the populace to be armed will result in mass murders. Oh, and that actually not counting people by skin color will result in slavery. Let us all praise the bravery of liberals.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Yes, let's all ponder the fearless nature of liberals, who are scared of nothing. Oh, except that posting the Ten Commandments will usher in a fundamentalist state religion. Oh, and apples treated with alar. Oh, and that talk radio will bring the Klan to power. Oh, and that failure to use tax dollars to support placing a crucifix in a jar of urine will result in a nation without art. Oh, and that allowing parents to actually raise their own children without government direction will result in "bad citizens". Oh, and that allowing the populace to be armed will result in mass murders. Oh, and that actually not counting people by skin color will result in slavery. Let us all praise the bravery of liberals.

That's being a bit disengenuous. Just because one group of people has irrational fears doesn't mean another is justified in having their own. And you don't know that Red Dawn fears any of the things you believe "liberals" fear, so you can't call him out for hypocrisy.

Incidentally, in your list of liberal fears, you have the "piss Christ" thing backwards. Conservatives used "piss Christ" to characterize all publically funded art as decedant and sacreligious. That was the fear-mongering that got the whole thing started. And since conservatives wanted to ban ALL public funding for the arts due to this example, I think liberals were rather justified in decrying that arts funding is a worthy endeavor and should not be cut off because of one piece that Christians found offensive.

- wolf