Gripe on Cyberpower UPS

Vicken

Oct 10, 1999
I had a Cyberpower UPS 1500va for about 2 years. You all probably remember the one selling for $99.00 at Outpost.com. Well, about 3 weeks ago, the UPS totally burned out. You can see pictures of the damage here. http://www.heatsink.net/ups (sorry about file sizes) It was pretty bad, the whole house stunk for 3 days because the batteries were still supplying power even though it was unplugged. Funny how NONE of the fuses blew, and the smell of burning plastic is not pleasant at all. I had to take it apart and disconnect the batteries. I believe they we're leaking as well because there was some blue liquid inside the UPS. Notice the terminal going to the battery is heavily corroded (inside1.jpg). I am just glad this thing didn't catch fire. Well, anyways to make this story short, the UPS that burned out has a lifetime warranty (thank goodness) :). Cyberpower just sent me a new one, but they sent me a unit that is half of the power of the one I had. 900VA as compared to 1500VA. I wouldn't mind, but the fact is I run two computers (one custom built linux router and one is my nephew's computer) and one 17" monitor through this UPS. The linux router doesn't use that much power because it doesn't have a CD-ROM and uses a very low power flashdisk hard drive, but still. They sent me the 900AVR model which wouldn't provide as much battery power. It has lifetime warranty, but only 3 year on the batteries. I don't think the 1500 one is being made anymore because I couldn't any vendors selling it. However, I would of liked the 1250AVR model instead. My dilema is should I complain to them? Do I have a case? I feel that the 900AVR model is not of equal value to the 1500VA one. The 900 model runs $140 on pricewatch, the 1250 runs $180, and the one I had I believe was close to $300 at the time it was selling. Maybe higher because I really don't remember. I haven't contacted them because UPS arrived late in the day. I checked the warranty policy and it is pretty vague. It doesn't mention anything like replacing the UPS with an equal or lesser value. All it says is that they will repair or replace it. Do I have a reasonable case if they refuse to give me the 1250AVR like I wanted or should I just shutup and live with what I got?

TunaBoo

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001
I would have to see the contract, but yes, you have a good case. Complain, call and ask for a manager,what do you have to lose?

Their product died, their fault.