Grimoire is finished. Available on Steam.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
As for $40, name me 1 game that has 600 hours for that price, hell most $60 games today have less then 16 hours of gameplay.

I have more than 600 hours into both L4D 1@2 as well as Terraria. I think the most i paid for any of the three was $20 for L4D2. Hell terraria i think i paid like $2 or less.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I broke 2500 hours in Spellweaver and haven't paid a cent - they don't sell things you need well. They're very generous.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Wiz 8 was so bad that I would never have gone back for Wiz 9 or 10 if they got made. 6 and 7 were brilliant though, worth replaying now even if you made it through them way back when.

I liked wiz 8, don't have a problem with somebody not liking it but am wondering why? I was slightly annoyed with the scaling levels, it could be quite brutal at times, and you where punished massive for bad party builds. But otherwise it felt like a 3d version of the the earlier games to me, again only an opinion.

and as some have said wiz7 is the gold standard and the price is right on GOG if you haven't played it.. get it!

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I liked wiz 8, don't have a problem with somebody not liking it but am wondering why? I was slightly annoyed with the scaling levels, it could be quite brutal at times, and you where punished massive for bad party builds. But otherwise it felt like a 3d version of the the earlier games to me, again only an opinion.

and as some have said wiz7 is the gold standard and the price is right on GOG if you haven't played it.. get it!

Spells were nerfed to the point of uselessness and combat was soooooooo sloooowwwwwwwwwww. Get a decent level party of a fighter, a ninja, samurai, cleric and two magicians and run into a group of 10 mosquitos. They surround you (no way for you to split party to surround monsters though) and you sit there spinning in place for 10 minutes as you slog through. What's the point of an RPG if combat is that tedious? So you have two choices: run from everything which doesn't build your party, so you then have to run from everything or just accept the prospect of it taking hours to make even small advancements as you spin around growing old to get through simple fights against weak opponents.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Spells were nerfed to the point of uselessness and combat was soooooooo sloooowwwwwwwwwww. Get a decent level party of a fighter, a ninja, samurai, cleric and two magicians and run into a group of 10 mosquitos. They surround you (no way for you to split party to surround monsters though) and you sit there spinning in place for 10 minutes as you slog through. What's the point of an RPG if combat is that tedious? So you have two choices: run from everything which doesn't build your party, so you then have to run from everything or just accept the prospect of it taking hours to make even small advancements as you spin around growing old to get through simple fights against weak opponents.

I get this, the first open area's where rock hard, i was frustrated to the point of quiting till i started to use terrain, i notice many areas had stumps, rocks, etc. like ti was made to be used for that. I know early game i backed into corners FAR TO OFTEN to make a fight manageable. So i cant say I don't understand why you didn't now, I can agree I disliked it early game. later game the swarms etc didn't really matter. I know i hated spell power to start but i seem to remember there was some stats that made some of this better. Dang was not expecting some actual reason's, I can see what you are saying..

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Wiz 8 is hard the first time but once you figure it out you can easily defeat the game with a party of 3 (some people solo). I loved the game myself but undrestand that some found the combat annoying and were not impressed by the quest system.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I get this, the first open area's where rock hard, i was frustrated to the point of quiting till i started to use terrain, i notice many areas had stumps, rocks, etc. like ti was made to be used for that. I know early game i backed into corners FAR TO OFTEN to make a fight manageable. So i cant say I don't understand why you didn't now, I can agree I disliked it early game. later game the swarms etc didn't really matter. I know i hated spell power to start but i seem to remember there was some stats that made some of this better. Dang was not expecting some actual reason's, I can see what you are saying..

That's the thing, backing into a corner was the only way to do things early on. Reducing the ways you could be flanked meant the enemies could only surround you like 270* instead of 360* which happened if you didn't use terrain. That didn't really help though. The enemies have you surrounded and your offensive spells are worthless. All you can do is cast minor buffs which didn't help much. So 1 guy attacks, camera spins to show monster two attacking PC 2, camera spins again to show PC 3 attacking monster 3, camera spins to show monster 5 attacking PC 5, repeat 10,000 times. And god forbid your best fighter dispatches his monster quickly, he can sit there the rest of the time doing nothing because there's no enemy directly in front of him that he can engage, you can't re-deploy, so he's wasted. Eventually you win, collect 50 EXP, 5 gold and you've wasted 15 minutes to get nowhere. It's just not fun.

PC games are a simple formula. Fight things, kill them, take their stuff, get more powerful, fight stronger things. Solve some puzzles, complete some quests. The end. Wizardry had that formula nailed, lots of puzzles and LOTS AND LOTS of combat. Pretty much every dungeon room and every wilderness clearing was a fight. In every other Wiz game, 1-7 I viewed combat as "Yeah!! Bring it on bitches!!!" and in 8 it was "Geesh, not this crap again". If the combat isn't good the game isn't good. And in Wiz 8 the combat sucked. The quests and puzzles were no great shakes either, but the combat broke the game.