Grim Dawn - Now Content Complete!!

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Picked up this "pre-release" in the Steam sale, been playing the hell out of it for the last week. Leveling an Occultist with a buddy and a Nightblade solo. Having a blast with both so far. Very polished for a pre-release game.

Anybody else playing?

EDIT: Title changed as this appears to now be the place to post everything about Grim Dawn.

Last edited:

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Backlog's too big to bother getting it now, especially since it's just early access. But I am interested in this game. Loved Titan Quest.

I will eventually play it.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I soooo want to play, especially since I kickstarted the game. But, I'm waiting for the final act to be completed. In the meantime, just picked up Victor Vran. Having fun with that.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
They just added some of the final act a few days ago, upped the level cap to 60, and added devotion points/perks.

I've been playing it. I've built just about every type of character, and I'm finally working on one of the last ideas I've not done. A shield tank soldier. Actually, make that battlemage for the added shielding and 1h weapon damage.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
They just added some of the final act a few days ago, upped the level cap to 60, and added devotion points/perks.

I've been playing it. I've built just about every type of character, and I'm finally working on one of the last ideas I've not done. A shield tank soldier. Actually, make that battlemage for the added shielding and 1h weapon damage.

But, it's still not completed, correct?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
It still has a ton of content for an 'incomplete' game. Every build release is very polished and typically has a hotfix within 72 hours to smooth over those bugs that didn't appear in internal testing.

Well worth full price and for me, the best Hack N Slash out there at the moment.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I have been playing it a lot lately. I made a Blademaster which is really fun to play. I have tried a few other classes and they seem really well rounded. Each build adds more to the game. The next build is due before the end of this month and it should finish act 4.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I backed this game years ago but I have held off on playing until its complete. I dont like playing unfinished games.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I have finished Act 1 with 3 characters to date but I too am waiting for the final release before I take it further. It really is a great game though, the devs really care about the game and their players.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I backed this game years ago but I have held off on playing until its complete. I dont like playing unfinished games.

If it is unpolished game play that is the concern, you might as well play. If you just hate that rules/classes change over time, then wait.

The only thing that makes this unfinished is when you get to the last area, you run into a guy guarding a door and he tells you that Act 4 is unfinished. Everything is very finished looking otherwise.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
It still has a ton of content for an 'incomplete' game. Every build release is very polished and typically has a hotfix within 72 hours to smooth over those bugs that didn't appear in internal testing.

Well worth full price and for me, the best Hack N Slash out there at the moment.

I enjoy Grim Dawn, but it's nowhere close to as good as Path of Exile right now.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
So my buddy and I made it to Homestead last night, did some clearing in the fields around there. I'm a little unclear though, how do you know which portions of the game are different Acts? I'm pretty sure we have gone past Act 1 but nothing has specifically stated that we were moving into a new Act.

My Lv 37 Occultist/Shaman is basically a Pet Master, I just run around collecting loot while my Hell Hound and Briarthorn kill everything in sight (assisted by my buddy, playing an Arcanist). The hardest thing is not pulling aggro away from my pets (CoF tends to do that easily).

I also have a (solo) Lv 30 Nightblade I intend to make into a Blademaster at some point. DPS is incredible but very squishy at this point, hit-and-run tactics are necessary. Not sure how to make her more tanky, maybe need to review the skills a bit further.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I'm also a kickstarter who's waiting for the content to be complete. I've played a little just to see how it's doing and I'm looking forward to the full play through.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Picked up this "pre-release" in the Steam sale, been playing the hell out of it for the last week. Leveling an Occultist with a buddy and a Nightblade solo. Having a blast with both so far. Very polished for a pre-release game.

Anybody else playing?

Been playing it for a long time and agree that it is quite good. It is by the same guy/group that did the titan quest series, and is basically a spiritual successor to those games. The graphics are on par with TQ- IT - so don't come into it expecting lots of wiz bang flashiness. The gameplay is where it is at though.

My current build is a warder (blend of shaman and soldier) - wish I did not put points in the soldier tree as it really doesn't compliment the shaman well. Particularly as I am focusing on a pure lightning DPS build at the moment.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
I'm also a kickstarter who's waiting for the content to be complete. I've played a little just to see how it's doing and I'm looking forward to the full play through.

It is supposed to be done in early 2016 and the content that is available now will take you quite a while to get through. You could easily start playing now and not reach the last bits of content until when the game is officially released. And with their latest update I don't think that they are planning to add anything new that is earth shattering before release - apart from the very last areas/quests of the game.

Last edited:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Been playing it for a long time and agree that it is quite good. It is by the same guy/group that did the titan quest series, and is basically a spiritual successor to those games. The graphics are on par with TQ- IT - so don't come into it expecting lots of wiz bang flashiness. The gameplay is where it is at though.

My current build is a warder (blend of shaman and soldier) - wish I did not put points in the soldier tree as it really doesn't compliment the shaman well. Particularly as I am focusing on a pure lightning DPS build at the moment.

When was the last time you played TQ? I was thinking TQ wasn't far behind Grim Dawn in graphics too, then I installed it. Wow, has things changed! TQ isn't anywhere near as good looking. Not to say that Grim Dawn looks great, just that TQ looks butt ugly by todays standards.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
When was the last time you played TQ? I was thinking TQ wasn't far behind Grim Dawn in graphics too, then I installed it. Wow, has things changed! TQ isn't anywhere near as good looking. Not to say that Grim Dawn looks great, just that TQ looks butt ugly by todays standards.

Oh I'll concede grim dawn looks better. But its not leaps and bounds over titan quest immortal throne.

TQIT : https://youtu.be/o6hS2QHcpvY?t=566

GD : https://youtu.be/wqiSV1I6Pm4?t=440

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
It's hard to judge on those vids though, they are at 720p and pretty poor compared to the game. Basically I just found TQ to look much flatter and plain. I was surprised by it, because I didn't recall it looking so bad before. The good news for TQ was that it supported 3D Vision pretty well, GD doesn't.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I enjoy Grim Dawn, but it's nowhere close to as good as Path of Exile right now.

Can't agree. Path of Exile's combat feels more robotic and stilted, and the mechanic I enjoyed the most early on was the gem/materia-type system and that just became tedious pretty quickly.

It has some good elements but didn't gel well.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I've got to say, even with my limited time (around 60 hours between two toons) Grim Dawn just feels "right." In a way that D3 did not, although I did spend lots and lots of hours playing, it was just missing some essential factor. I think it might have been the loot, everything was focused entirely on finding the BIS items for each build, everything below the legendary items was complete trash. In Grim Dawn even the random yellow-quality items can be highly useful (so far), as good or better than the greens and blues that are dropping. I also feel like I have a lot more flexibility in the skill choices I make, unlike D3 where you're basically looking at a few cookie-cutter builds for each class that will function well in end-game.

Comparing to TQ/IT I'd say GD definitely has better graphics. TQ was remarkably "flat" feeling to me, like looking at a picture. GD somehow feels like it has more depth to it graphically. Don't get me wrong, TQ was a fantastic game and this in turn makes GD quite good as it is very similar. I love the two-class system, just awesome how you can choose to diversify (or, just focus in one tree if you so desire).

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Can somebody compare to POE?

They could, but it's oranges and apples. I enjoy both games.

PoE is what I thought Diablo 3 should be; everything D2 had, but tweaked and improved upon, instead of re-imagined. I have over 2,000 hours played.

Grim Dawn is more personal and visceral; you won't be laying waste to hundreds of mobs at one time like PoE, but when you land a crit on a mob, you feel it. It's just satisfying. It is a lot like Titan Quest in many ways.

Both are great imo, because their is no hand-holding; it's easy to make a bad build (but you can respec to a degree) or die if you aren't paying attention.