Griffey goes bye-bye for the season

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Mattingly >x1000 Chipper
And Mattingly is not going to the hall. Chipper has played much longer than Donnie but he was never half the player Mattingly was.

shilala

Lifer
Oct 5, 2004
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
Originally posted by: shilala
Originally posted by: ThePresence
I kinda feel bad for him. The guy would have been a first ballot HOF'er if hadn't been hindered by injuries his whole career. He is the best all-around baseball player I have ever seen play.

are you kidding me?? he's a first ballot HOFer even if he doesn't.

who in his generation was better? bonds? manny?
Bonds was better year after year.
The "Who's the best Player in Baseball?" question was raised year after year when Bonds and Griffey were in their prime and Bonds consistantly won. Bonds is still better.
In my estimation, Bonds was better overall, speed being the difference. He also had the power edge.
Taking the asshole factor into account, I'd have had Griffey on my club long before Bonds.

agreed. bonds was the better player (well, griffey was probably the better fielder).

but, i think that was kind of the point of my post, bonds and mb manny as the only two players i can think of off the top of my head as being better than Griffey during a similar time period (altho manny was many yrs after jr started).
Bonds and Griffey Jr. were playing the same level of ball at the same time.
Bonds was cocky with the glove and it caused a number of errors. He'd slap his glove on his thigh and swat at the ball. A few times a year the ball would go rolling away and he'd hear it. Those situations gave Griffey the imaginary "better with the glove" comments.
Bonds was faster and had greater range.
For some reason Griffey didn't invoke fear like Bonds did.
Pitchers would let him swing away and didn't mind letting Junior beat them because he was a good kid. Everyone loved him. He was everything about sportsmanship that Bonds was not.
That's why the "best player" comparison was made.
If the contest was "Most Liked Awesome Ballplayer/Athlete", Griffey Jr. would have won hands down.
Bonds was simply the better ballplayer, even though it was a very small margin.
Griffey's humanity made him the better person, and popularity closed the gap enough to make "Best Player In the Game" a hell of a fun argument.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Mattingly >x1000 Chipper
And Mattingly is not going to the hall. Chipper has played much longer than Donnie but he was never half the player Mattingly was.

chipper has won 1 WS, mattingly 0.

chipper was better at the beginning and end of his career. mattingly was amazing in his peak but dropped off badly.

if mattingly had played any other than NY, most people would never have heard of him.

chipper has 310 career HR (not including this season) in 11 seasons, mattingly 222 in 14 seasons.

on statistics, i'd say Chipper has it over mattingly, chipper had 8 seasons of over 100 rbis in his 11 seasons. last season he had 96 rbis although he had many injuries.

chipper is a very very good player, but i don't think he's HOF worthy.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
This is great by Griffey standards. It's late September and he's done for the year. He's usually on the disabled list permanently by early May.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Mattingly >x1000 Chipper

chipper was better at the beginning and end of his career. mattingly was amazing in his peak but dropped off badly.

if mattingly had played any other than NY, most people would never have heard of him.

chipper has 310 career HR (not including this season) in 11 seasons, mattingly 222 in 14 seasons.

on statistics, i'd say Chipper has it over mattingly, chipper had 8 seasons of over 100 rbis in his 11 seasons. last season he had 96 rbis although he had many injuries.

Ahhh, but offense was only half of Mattingly's game. :)
He won nine gold gloves. Chipper won none.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Mattingly >x1000 Chipper

chipper started off as a SS, moved the 3rd for the team, then moved to RF, and now back to 3rd.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Mattingly >x1000 Chipper

chipper started off as a SS, moved the 3rd for the team, then moved to RF, and now back to 3rd.
That may make him a team player, but it doesn't help him get into the hall.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Mattingly >x1000 Chipper

twice, i've posted in my opinion chipper is not a HOFer,

but your statement is just ridiculous saying mattingly is 1000x better than chipper. :roll:

Mojoed

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2004
Mattingly >x1000 Chipper

As a DIE-HARD Red Sox fan, it pains me to admit this, but oh well lol, here goes. Stats do not tell the entire deal here. Don Mattingly KILLS Chipper overall. Any of you Chipper fans actually see Mattingly play?

There, I said it. Mattingly is one of the only Yankee's I've ever liked. He was awesome.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
also, altho i did say i thought chipper was not HOF worthy, i'd still take chipper over many of his contemporary stars, McGwire, Sosa, Giambi . . .

i'd say he's more HOF worthy than they are.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

but your statement is just ridiculous saying mattingly is 1000x better than chipper. :roll:
I'm not arguing with you, I agree Chipper is not getting in. But I watched Mattingly his entire career and I've never seen anyone play the field as smoothly as he did except for Keith Hernandez. Granted, I don't watch Chipper everyday, but Mattingly was something special. Chipper is a very good player but he has never been a special player.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000

I'm not arguing with you, I agree Chipper is not getting in. But I watched Mattingly his entire career and I've never seen anyone play the field as smoothly as he did except for Keith Hernandez. Granted, I don't watch Chipper everyday, but Mattingly was something special. Chipper is a very good player but he has never been a special player.

i'd still take chipper of many of todays "superstars". mark mcgwire, sammy sosa, giambi, manny ramirez . . .

chipper is one of the good guys. a good player. agreed, he isn't griffey jr in his prime. i can't comment on mattingly as i didn't watch much baseball back then.