GRID: Racing.... How do you drive ??? ( PC )

phaxmohdem

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2004
www.avxmedia.com
OK, so I just picked up a copy of GRID racing today for the PC, the graphics, are gorgeous, but the gameplay is pissing me off to no end. I cannot control any freakin car in the race! I've never really fancied myself as terrible at racing games, as it is usually my favorite genre, but I for the life of me cannot figure out how to control these damn cars.

I don't have a wheel, or a controller, or anything analog, merely a keyboard... so the gas pedal and steering is either on or off, full left or full right, which even with all driver assists, and traction control turned ON, if I lose control, or slip a single wheel into the grass means I will either spin donuts infinitely, or by the time I regain control and tap my car back onto the road, I'm in last place and so far behind I might as well start over.

These are on BASIC skill levels too which in every other racing game I own, I always race on hard or expert levels.

Any tips, or driving suggestions that might lower my blood pressure a little? I've never played a racing game that made me want to punch more babies than this one :S

I want to love it because it is a beautifully done game... but if I can't drive the cars, whats the point?

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: phaxmohdem
OK, so I just picked up a copy of GRID racing today for the PC, the graphics, are gorgeous, but the gameplay is pissing me off to no end. I cannot control any freakin car in the race! I've never really fancied myself as terrible at racing games, as it is usually my favorite genre, but I for the life of me cannot figure out how to control these damn cars.

I don't have a wheel, or a controller, or anything analog, merely a keyboard... so the gas pedal and steering is either on or off, full left or full right, which even with all driver assists, and traction control turned ON, if I lose control, or slip a single wheel into the grass means I will either spin donuts infinitely, or by the time I regain control and tap my car back onto the road, I'm in last place and so far behind I might as well start over.

These are on BASIC skill levels too which in every other racing game I own, I always race on hard or expert levels.

Any tips, or driving suggestions that might lower my blood pressure a little? I've never played a racing game that made me want to punch more babies than this one :S

I want to love it because it is a beautifully done game... but if I can't drive the cars, whats the point?

Let off the gas, point the nose of your car in the direction of the turn, and then reapply the gas. Using the handbrake or trying to skid through turns will only lead to wall crashes or loss of traction with the road. GRID is extremely difficult overall. The AI is ruthless, but will cause crashes with other AI players too, which makes the game actually pretty enjoyable in single player mode. Keep at it. It's a very fun game.

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Consider turning off steering assists (I think that's the right assist, haven't played in a while). That particular assist caused me to oversteer a lot and spin out. Also, when I only had a keyboard I preferred to tap the handbrake and drift through sharp turns since it's so hard to control breaking and accelerating with a keyboard to turn the correct way. Don't be afraid to take advantage of the fact that the AI will avoid crashes with you on turns either.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
I had no problems playing GRID with my keyboard whatsoever. Even on extreme and some of the assists turned of I would smoke the opposition. I don't know, with a viper or other muscle car with a lot of power on the rearwheels it was actually pretty hard to really let the tail slide out, steering in the opposite direction and letting go of the throttle would quickly straighten the car out though. Perhaps buy a xbox 360 controller? I did, and I really like it for racing games ...

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: phaxmohdem

Get an Xbox360 gamepad. Once you learn how to modulate break and throttle, you can start dialing back/turning off the assists.

I drive the muscle cars and full-out race cars with all the assists disabled. Cars like the Challenger or the Jap/Euro touring cars, I drive with assists.

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
The game is really easy (at least the non-drift portion) compared to games like Forza Motorsports 2 when you set both at medium difficulty IMO. You almost don't have to think in GRID and you can win.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I found this game very hard at first but have gotten far better after playing a lot. An analog controller can help but is not necessary. I have almost completed the game on the serious mode with a keyboard. I play arcade racers frequently but generally not sim-like racing games (which is what this game is by my standards).

The races all revolve around passing almost everyone on the first sharp turn you encounter (it sometimes helps to ram opponents and rebound off them) and then driving carefully after you get in front. You may have to restart the race a few times to get it right, but since it's at the beginning you don't lose any significant progress. GRID's game mechanics make it very easy to stay in first place after you get there, and the opponents are never quite as aggressive on passing or hard turns as you can be.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
It was hard for me at first. Then I learned to brake before corners, and it is now very easy.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: sswingle
It was hard for me at first. Then I learned to brake before corners, and it is now very easy.

Pretty much.

I only play with keyboard, & while i'm unfortunately nowhere close to as good as the good players, i'd say i can hold my own.

The key to this game is not overdoing things IMO.

Braking before corners is imperatives; accelerate once into them unless you've got sliding with your car completely mastered.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It's also worth noting that GRID initially starts off quite difficult and then eases up a lot after you get through the first few races to qualify. The advanced cars you use with those races spin out easily due to their speeds, but the lower end cards you use in the rookie tournaments after that are much easier to handle while you're still getting used to the game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I agree, the game is kinda like Lindsey Lohan.
Very pretty but difficult.

The first modern race game I played was Test Drive Unlimited. After I got used to it (took me about 4 days) I was kicking ass.

Then I moved to GRID and it felt like I was starting all over again. The problem is the gameplay isnt fun enough to make me keep practicing. Luckily I got it free with my 4870. I wouldnt pay for that game.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: CP5670
It's also worth noting that GRID initially starts off quite difficult and then eases up a lot after you get through the first few races to qualify. The advanced cars you use with those races spin out easily due to their speeds, but the lower end cards you use in the rookie tournaments after that are much easier to handle while you're still getting used to the game.

i find it the opposite, the fast expensive cars have great handling and traction where as the cheap cars don't. they spin out too much also. the expensive cars are so much easier to control.

anyways, the one thing annoying about this game is when you're sometimes skidding on your side then you completely lose control of the car and it spins, facing the traffic and making it hard to get out of spin. its probably realistic but you spin out too much especially when trying to get out from the sand/grass and trying to accelerate.

graphics are ok, but way too much fuzziness and bright effects/bloom for my taste. makes it look consolish.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Since this game is half sim and half arcadish it's very easy to play with just the keyboard. On tight corners you'll definitely need to brake but many of the turns just require you to let off the gas or slightly tap the brakes to shift the weight towards the front of the car for better traction to make the turn. Try to keep a smooth racing line (start outside, turn in towards apex and extend back to the outside. Also if you go slightly off into the grass or sand get off the gas immediately and then correct it. If you keep on the gas you will very likely spin out everytime.

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
I have a Logitech rumble pad 2 and in the settings of the control before entering the game, I set the sensitivity of the stearing joystick to 60%.