Grid is sooo hard

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
OMG:( I SO SUX at this. I used to think I was good at racing games, spoiled by Ridge Racer, and NFS underground 2. haha

Its very hard to tell what will make the car spin out.

Anyone got tips? :eek::eek:

I patched it to 1.3, it's a little better, but i'm still getting owned by the PC.

Also, Is AVP worth it? anyone get that yet?

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Try richard burns rally and come back to me ;)
tips: brake before a turn.. gas out of the turn
for more tips, get RBR and do the rally school :D

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I got it a while back with my Radeon 4870. Had only been playing Test Drive Unlimited before that. TDU is far more forgiving of mistakes because the tracks are usually huge (The Big Island) and theres normally a variety of different cars competing against you.

Grid is a lot tougher but most hardcore racers dont consider it to be a true sim.
My only advice is practice, a LOT. I usually go on the Race Day, Pro Tuned, Honda, Okutama, Sprint Circuit A or B, and anywhere between 2 and 5 laps. Set the difficulty to Basic, and the Grid Position to Front. You should probably give yourself all the Driver Assists.
You will have 5 flashbacks and the opponents wont race to the best of their ability. EVERY time you fuck up, use the flashback immediately, and go back as far as possible. If you use them all up, just finish the match. Go back and play the exact same game again. Keep trying until you no longer need to use all the flashbacks. When you feel really comfortable move yourself to Random or Back. You will get better with time, I promise.

I got owned so much the first time I vowed to never play again. But eventually I went back and practiced and got better. Now I need minimum assists and am cometative on Normal with a Random position.

Just practice dude, a lot. Also what controller are you using?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

QFT...RBR played with a wheel is a really good game (if you like less arcadey games) and is much better than the Colin McRae games IMO.

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
QFT...RBR played with a wheel is a really good game (if you like less arcadey games) and is much better than the Colin McRae games IMO.

I would say that RBR is more realistic, but I wouldnt say its better, well at least compared to DiRT 2...thats a Colin game isnt it?

Compared to the pre-DiRT games, yeah, it is better...a lot less forgiving. I remember playing CM5 and spinning out like once on my first track...RBR 100 spin outs on first track...excellent training regiment though, better than anything GT had, really felt like it taught you HOW to drive.

As far as GRiD is concerned, has the OP tried a lower difficultly setting? Do you brake before a turn and slightly accelerate through it? Its best to use a pressure sensitive controller/buttons for throttle and braking. Remember, GRiD may not be a racing simulator (e.g. GTR 2) but it still requires you to be able to drive a race car in a respectable manner...

Last edited:

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
I would say that RBR is more realistic, but I wouldnt say its better, well at least compared to DiRT 2...thats a Colin game isnt it?

Compared to the pre-DiRT games, yeah, it is better...a lot less forgiving. I remember playing CM5 and spinning out like once on my first track...RBR 100 spin outs on first track...excellent training regiment though, better than anything GT had, really felt like it taught you HOW to drive.

As far as GRiD is concerned, has the OP tried a lower difficultly setting? Do you brake before a turn and slightly accelerate through it? Its best to use a pressure sensitive controller/buttons for throttle and braking. Remember, GRiD may not be a racing simulator (e.g. GTR 2) but it still requires you to be able to drive a race car in a respectable manner...

GRiD is a great game. a friend and i beat it over two or three days on the 360. It DEFINITELY requires some finesse. We used the controller. :(

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
GRiD is a great game. a friend and i beat it over two or three days on the 360. It DEFINITELY requires some finesse. We used the controller. :(

Controller isnt that bad considering how bad the 360 wheel is...just with a controller you NEED to know the threshold for the pressure sensitive throttle and brake, just like you do a real car.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
I got it a while back with my Radeon 4870. Had only been playing Test Drive Unlimited before that. TDU is far more forgiving of mistakes because the tracks are usually huge (The Big Island) and theres normally a variety of different cars competing against you.

Grid is a lot tougher but most hardcore racers dont consider it to be a true sim.
My only advice is practice, a LOT. I usually go on the Race Day, Pro Tuned, Honda, Okutama, Sprint Circuit A or B, and anywhere between 2 and 5 laps. Set the difficulty to Basic, and the Grid Position to Front. You should probably give yourself all the Driver Assists.
You will have 5 flashbacks and the opponents wont race to the best of their ability. EVERY time you fuck up, use the flashback immediately, and go back as far as possible. If you use them all up, just finish the match. Go back and play the exact same game again. Keep trying until you no longer need to use all the flashbacks. When you feel really comfortable move yourself to Random or Back. You will get better with time, I promise.

I got owned so much the first time I vowed to never play again. But eventually I went back and practiced and got better. Now I need minimum assists and am cometative on Normal with a Random position.

Just practice dude, a lot. Also what controller are you using?

I'm playing with the keyboard right now, since my xbox 1 controller through (xbcd) isn't detected in 1.3, I don't know why???

I TRYyyyy... I definately brake before a turn, hit the apex, and accelerate out of it.

The 1st person view is way too close to the ground, is there a way to make it a bit higher? The other cars like to blind me ... hahaha

WTF,, rub it in... I've only beaten 6 races, 1st place, w/ all assist, normal difficulty
It basically required me memorizing each track, and where the cpu tends to F up.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Grid is easier with the Logitech G25 wheel. Also great for Dirt2. I have all the assists off. And yes Dirt2 is a Colin Mcrae game, and is awesome. They do require some practice, and proper driving, but thats what makes it so fun, the challenge.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
A keyboard can work fine if you're used to it. I completed the game on the "serious" setting with a keyboard. The key in this game is to be very aggressive at the beginning and pass most of the opponents on the first sharp turn (ramming them into the walls if needed), and then drive cautiously for the rest of the race, taking turns slowly and carefully. GRID's gameplay mechanics are such that once you get in the front, it's pretty easy to stay in the front as long as you don't screw up yourself.

Also, I found the high end cars you get in the qualifying races at the very beginning hard to control when I first started playing the game. The weaker cars you get in the early races are easier to handle while you're still learning the game.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Funny you post this, i'm just reinstalling GRID :D

Loved the game.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
A keyboard can work fine if you're used to it. I completed the game on the "serious" setting with a keyboard. The key in this game is to be very aggressive at the beginning and pass most of the opponents on the first sharp turn (ramming them into the walls if needed), and then drive cautiously for the rest of the race, taking turns slowly and carefully. GRID's gameplay mechanics are such that once you get in the front, it's pretty easy to stay in the front as long as you don't screw up yourself.

Also, I found the high end cars you get in the qualifying races at the very beginning hard to control when I first started playing the game. The weaker cars you get in the early races are easier to handle while you're still learning the game.

Yea thats what I've been thinkin. I crash my own car on purpose mid race on to slow it down. :awe:D::awe:D::D. Thats a valid stratagy for me.

ALSO I got the XBCD working, turns out, it IS detected, but there is no TAB that pops out for it, you just press settings and the keys.

I'm not spinning out as much anymore. FINALLY manual shift. helps allot, good thing the game isn't realistic enough to penalize riding 1st gear through a turn for 10 secs. hahaha. I think thats the only way to avoid spinning out when you're boxed in.:eek:

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
Yea thats what I've been thinkin. I crash my own car on purpose mid race on to slow it down. :awe:D::awe:D::D. Thats a valid stratagy for me.

ALSO I got the XBCD working, turns out, it IS detected, but there is no TAB that pops out for it, you just press settings and the keys.

I'm not spinning out as much anymore. FINALLY manual shift. helps allot, good thing the game isn't realistic enough to penalize riding 1st gear through a turn for 10 secs. hahaha. I think thats the only way to avoid spinning out when you're boxed in.:eek:

One of my strategies is to go high speed into a turn and just lean against the other cars while turning...knocks them off course and permits me to go high speed through a turn without spinning out. This is one of those racing games that once you get to 1st youll likely stay there unless you f-up hard core. They seem to slow down once behind you...odd...

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002

hmm somehow I was thinking of DiRT when you said GRiD. I guess it's cool to caps things like warez junkies now huh? :sneaky:

But seriously, GRID is one of the more arcade games out there. NFS Shift is a lot better, and if you take it another notch up, GTR2 baby.

I haven't played grid, but to learn how to drive properly on a track, you have to know if the turn is an early, mid, or late apex turn. Then each one has its own optimal ways of turning.
Early apex, you need to finish all your braking before the turn, and immediately start accelerating out of it as you hit the apex.
Mid apex, kind of similar, braking before the turn, then once the turn begins, you hold the accelerator so that your speed is about constant, then once you hit the apex, start accelerating.
Late apex, this one I find the hardest.. you brake before the turn, but with less braking than you need to make it completely around the corner. During the turn, you want to roll through it, and let the turn take a few mph's off your speed so you'd be at the ideal speed by the time you hit the apex.

This is just what I've learned from playing GTR2 driving school. I still don't get the best times, but I've gotten gold times on most tracks in the school.

Last edited:

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Um. I played the game with a wireless 360 controller and it was not that challenging even on the hardest difficulty. But that's me. :/ Online play is totally different though.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
hmm somehow I was thinking of DiRT when you said GRiD. I guess it's cool to caps things like warez junkies now huh? :sneaky:

But seriously, GRID is one of the more arcade games out there. NFS Shift is a lot better, and if you take it another notch up, GTR2 baby.

I haven't played grid, but to learn how to drive properly on a track, you have to know if the turn is an early, mid, or late apex turn. Then each one has its own optimal ways of turning.
Early apex, you need to finish all your braking before the turn, and immediately start accelerating out of it as you hit the apex.
Mid apex, kind of similar, braking before the turn, then once the turn begins, you hold the accelerator so that your speed is about constant, then once you hit the apex, start accelerating.
Late apex, this one I find the hardest.. you brake before the turn, but with less braking than you need to make it completely around the corner. During the turn, you want to roll through it, and let the turn take a few mph's off your speed so you'd be at the ideal speed by the time you hit the apex.

This is just what I've learned from playing GTR2 driving school. I still don't get the best times, but I've gotten gold times on most tracks in the school.

Could I get a MS paint as to what those turns look like? and How does uphill downhill factor into this. :hmm:

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Here's an example of a late apex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVy_w7Vjikc
Early apex would just be going the opposite direction.
You can see that the turn gets tighter and tighter with the late apex.
Mid apex would have the tightest part of the turn in the middle.

I see that Spa Francochamps is in GRID.. that's my favorite track.

So the first turn is a chicane.. you mostly just try to go straight there. I just take my foot off the accelerator for a split second right before the turn, and immediately floor it again.

After a long straight, you'll run into an early apex. So after you're done braking, this is the slowest point of the turn. Then you'll want to make a right and try to clip off the apex a bit. Then you'll slowly and gradually try to speed up again. You'll first make a right, then you'll quickly make a left again. Just try to maintain your speed and try to build it up as much as you can while retaining control.

Amost immediately, you'll have another early apex right turn come up. Try to go as wide as possible. I try to think of cutting the apex(very important for early apexes), and I often cut it a bit too much even. But this is better than not cutting it enough. You're already going at a steady speed at this point to not need to brake, so just ease off the throttle, and make your turn, then right after you clip the apex, start accelerating as much as you can without losing control.

You'll get to speed up a bit here on this short straight, until you come up to a late apex right turn. Brake down about two gears here. You want to brake just enough so that as you roll through the turn, you'll lose another 10mph or so to make your turn speed just right for the apex. Then after hitting the apex, steadily accelerate out.
If you brake too much on this turn, you'll find yourself needing to build up some speed for the curve, and suddenly needing to slow down again for the apex.

I think I covered early and late apex thoroughly here. For mid apex's, treat it intially as a late apex, letting the roll through the turn slow you down a bit before you hit the apex, and post-apex, it'll be like an early apex turn, where you'll have to gradually speed up as much as you could while retaining stability.

Here's a vid of the track I'm talking about. I just described from 0:20 to 1:08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSRWCoNvM-k

Here's another vid.. I think this one shows the late apex more clearly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPTAv9t36IE&feature=related

Uphill and downhill will just affect how early you need to brake and how much you need to brake. Uphill you'll have more traction and you can brake later. So you can not only make the turn faster, but you can brake more quickly too. Basically when it's uphill, you can drive really aggressively, while downhill you have to be extra careful and conservative.

Last edited:

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Also I forgot to mention one other tip for winning at GRID, you need a good ebay car. Their performance can vary a lot, so you have to buy and sell till you find a fast one.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Here's an example of a late apex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVy_w7Vjikc
Early apex would just be going the opposite direction.
You can see that the turn gets tighter and tighter with the late apex.
Mid apex would have the tightest part of the turn in the middle.

I see that Spa Francochamps is in GRID.. that's my favorite track.

So the first turn is a chicane.. you mostly just try to go straight there. I just take my foot off the accelerator for a split second right before the turn, and immediately floor it again.

After a long straight, you'll run into an early apex. So after you're done braking, this is the slowest point of the turn. Then you'll want to make a right and try to clip off the apex a bit. Then you'll slowly and gradually try to speed up again. You'll first make a right, then you'll quickly make a left again. Just try to maintain your speed and try to build it up as much as you can while retaining control.

Amost immediately, you'll have another early apex right turn come up. Try to go as wide as possible. I try to think of cutting the apex(very important for early apexes), and I often cut it a bit too much even. But this is better than not cutting it enough. You're already going at a steady speed at this point to not need to brake, so just ease off the throttle, and make your turn, then right after you clip the apex, start accelerating as much as you can without losing control.

You'll get to speed up a bit here on this short straight, until you come up to a late apex right turn. Brake down about two gears here. You want to brake just enough so that as you roll through the turn, you'll lose another 10mph or so to make your turn speed just right for the apex. Then after hitting the apex, steadily accelerate out.
If you brake too much on this turn, you'll find yourself needing to build up some speed for the curve, and suddenly needing to slow down again for the apex.

I think I covered early and late apex thoroughly here. For mid apex's, treat it intially as a late apex, letting the roll through the turn slow you down a bit before you hit the apex, and post-apex, it'll be like an early apex turn, where you'll have to gradually speed up as much as you could while retaining stability.

Here's a vid of the track I'm talking about. I just described from 0:20 to 1:08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSRWCoNvM-k

Here's another vid.. I think this one shows the late apex more clearly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPTAv9t36IE&feature=related

Uphill and downhill will just affect how early you need to brake and how much you need to brake. Uphill you'll have more traction and you can brake later. So you can not only make the turn faster, but you can brake more quickly too. Basically when it's uphill, you can drive really aggressively, while downhill you have to be extra careful and conservative.

I'm getting the hang of Grid, with the analog trigger, I almost never spin out anymore except in drift mode and derby, the car just rolls outta control.

Anyone play shift?, I saw it at walmart for 19.99 for the PC version. :hmm: