GRID crashes

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
When I first installed Grid I had an e8400 running at 3.5 or 3.6 with the same pair of HD4870's and 8.7 drivers, it took three installs and some head scratching, but it worked, finally. I install this a new E8600 and GRID goes to shit.

There is not 100% consistancy, sometimes it crashes at the startup (press enter) screen, and sometimes I can get to a race. Though, I would have to say that I have had most of them occur after I setup for Race Day, I hit continue on the final screen and hang the system on the way to the track. Other times it just dies and I can get back to vista.

On my x48 system in my sig

Vista64 Ultimate
Cat 8.7 Drivers
Grid 1.2 -novirtual switch....

I've tried disabling crossfire, cranking down my OC, installed 8.8 Cat.. Reinstalled GRID a few times. Always the same.

Also, I have a new MOMO that I just started using, are those drivers causing problems for anyone?

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Does this happen with other games when playing for a prolonged period? Best to run Memtest for a few hours to check the memory. Make sure you properly remove any old drivers by uninstalling and running Drivercleaner.

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
Originally posted by: Sylvanas
Does this happen with other games when playing for a prolonged period? Best to run Memtest for a few hours to check the memory. Make sure you properly remove any old drivers by uninstalling and running Drivercleaner.

Well.. no.. er.. well.. I wish it was a prolonged period. This thing might run for 2 minutes at the outside. Grid was so problimatic to begin with I had not even considered other games, I guess I should . LOL.

Memtest ran fine for 2 hrs. I know that is not 100%, but I thought it might be memory too so I slowed it down. No help. The system is running well, I used CAD yesterday for 6 straight hours without a hic-cup. My freaking Dells at the office won't do that

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
Looks like a GPU temp problem. I cranked up my fans to 95% and played for half an hour without issue.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
sgrinavi, dont you just love having a momo.....i dont know how people play racing games without a wheel, whats with that?......

regarding your crashing...i'm not surprised your gpu's are crashing....ATI fail with cooling solutions....

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: SolMiester
sgrinavi, dont you just love having a momo.....i dont know how people play racing games without a wheel, whats with that?......

regarding your crashing...i'm not surprised your gpu's are crashing....ATI fail with cooling solutions....

wouldn't it be the manufacturers who fail?

I had the same problem, artifacting after several hours and on hot days earlier than hours...

changed my fan profile in rivatuner and its fixed

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
The OEM's dont change the design, I dont know why, doesnt remove the fact that ATI gpu cooling solutions fail...I mean, why should Joe Public have to alter the reference fan profiles on new hardware....not everyone is capable on this and not everyone has great airflow in their cases..

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
well from what i understand each oem sets the fan profile
for instance some asus will max out 100% fan at 75C
mine only goes to 100% fan at 101C

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Crank the fans, my 4870 hits 50C at max during full load. (70% fan)

(on GRID)

you can edit the fan speed manually.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
The ATI 4800 are a fantastic GPU chip, very fast, I do think however that the cooling solutions arent as good as NV products to be sure...