Grid Computing

wallyson

Jun 24, 2018
Hi, i'm doing some basic research in grid computing for my distributed system class and i have some doubts that i cant find anywhere:

1. Since 2013 looks like studies about grid computing have stopped and i'm dont know if this happened because studies in this area has reached a apex and theres nothing more to study, or because grid has been disused or other reason. I'd like to know what you guys think about it, or maybe have some recommendations for where to look for answers.

2. How can i implement a simple Grid Computing just for demonstration, nothing elegant ? Where to start ?

Beforehand, thank you for your time !

Kiska

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Well there is really nothing to study anymore about grid computing(distributed compute). EDIT: I mean you send out work, then you get results. There is not really anymore you can do to study this
A simple setup would be using BOINC server and sending out workunits for a client to complete then sending the result back to the server for storage and verification

EDIT: I am typing this at 3am and have had nearly no sleep for the past 40 hrs so it may or may not be correct :)

Last edited:
Reactions: wallyson

wallyson

Jun 24, 2018
Well there is really nothing to study anymore about grid computing(distributed compute). EDIT: I mean you send out work, then you get results. There is not really anymore you can do to study this
A simple setup would be using BOINC server and sending out workunits for a client to complete then sending the result back to the server for storage and verification

EDIT: I am typing this at 3am and have had nearly no sleep for the past 40 hrs so it may or may not be correct :)
Thank you. Go have a good sleep !

wallyson

Jun 24, 2018
My 2700x draws 180 watts from the wall on VGTU. On asteroids it was 200 watts. The latter used avx, etc so that might be part of the explanation.
So, for example, if you join in the volunteer grid environment would it be impractical for you because of huge energy consumption?