Greg Abbott is the worst Governor in the last 20+ years.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'm not just going to say it, I will provide evidence. Here we go...

Electrical grid: - No need to go into details other then Abbott ignored maintenance on the grid. During a recent winter storm hundreds of people died when Texas lost power.

School shootings - Abbott claimed hardening the schools and mental health is the solution. No need for any gun safety legislation. In 2019 Abbot spent 100 million to harden Texas schools and 100 million to provide mental health services.
Governor Abbott signs mental health and school safety reforms (kxan.com)

2022 19 small children killed in the Uvalde shooting. 48 hours later Greg Abbott gets in front of cameras and claims police engaged the shooter. But wait, turns our this incompetent Governor didn't have the correct information after telling the parents of the murdered children.
A district police officer engaged the gunman when he arrived at the school, but the shooter was able to enter a back door, travel down two short hallways and enter a classroom, which was connected internally to another classroom, Abbott said.
Texas school shooting: Gunman posted messages about attack right before shooting, governor said (cbsnews.com)

Now we discover police did not engage the shooter. Instead of waiting until he had correct information Abbott was so desperate to calm the situation he released bogus information to the public. Now we discover there was the possibility children were still alive for longer then they were \originally told.
Texas police now say a school district police officer did not confront the gunman before the Uvalde school shooting (msn.com)

This Governor who is so worried about Texas white kids finding out about the racist past of this country (CRT) he has been completely incompetent as Governor. He claimed hardening the schools was the answer not new gun safety laws. As a lot of us already knew that was not the solution

More proof Republicans cannot be trusted to provide a safe environment for kids.

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
No need to go into details other then Abbott ignored maintenance on the grid. During a recent winter storm hundreds of people died when Texas lost power.

Note:
This is the 3nd winter storm in which Texas lost power due to a winter storm.

The 2nd was in 2011:

and the 1st was in 1989:
although, the incident in 1989 was just two days of rolling blackouts, it seems the grid functioned much better back then and did not completely collapse.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I'm not just going to say it, I will provide evidence. Here we go...

Electrical grid: - No need to go into details other then Abbott ignored maintenance on the grid. During a recent winter storm hundreds of people died when Texas lost power.

School shootings - Abbott claimed hardening the schools and mental health is the solution. No need for any gun safety legislation. In 2019 Abbot spent 100 million to harden Texas schools and 100 million to provide mental health services.
Governor Abbott signs mental health and school safety reforms (kxan.com)

2022 19 small children killed in the Uvalde shooting. 48 hours later Greg Abbott gets in front of cameras and claims police engaged the shooter. But wait, turns our this incompetent Governor didn't have the correct information after telling the parents of the murdered children.

Texas school shooting: Gunman posted messages about attack right before shooting, governor said (cbsnews.com)

Now we discover police did not engage the shooter. Instead of waiting until he had correct information Abbott was so desperate to calm the situation he release bogus information to the public. Now we discover there was the possibility children were still alive for longer then they were \originally told.
Texas police now say a school district police officer did not confront the gunman before the Uvalde school shooting (msn.com)

This Governor who is so worried about Texas white kids finding out about the racist past of this country (CRT) he has been completely incompetent as Governor. He alcimed harderning the schools was the answer not new gun safety laws. As a lot of us already knew that was not the solution

More proof Republicans cannot be trusted to provide a safe environment for kids.
I am going to be honest here.... the same situation would have occurred if there was a Democratic governor and same NY gun laws in Texas. The reason is quite simple...this town is almost in the middle of nowhere (80 miles from San Antonio, would take via a 150 MPH helicopter from there a bit more than 30 mins to reach Uvalde). Even the city of Buffalo was countless times bigger. Further more, the gun could have been bought out of state even. The police of Uvalde that responded were probably never trained well for this for obvious reasons, it probably was never expected that a shootout would even happen there.

If this was Fort Worth and the same response occurred, you might have even had mass removals of Fort Worth police officers for incompetence in duty.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Note:
This is the 3nd winter storm in which Texas lost power due to a winter storm.

The 2nd was in 2011:

and the 1st was in 1989:
although, the incident in 1989 was must a "minor" two day rolling blackout, it seems the grid functioned much better back then.
Abott: But ... but ... but .... 2003 blackout was a whole lot bigger and happened in Dem controlled states and even went into Canada.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I’m not a fan of Abbott either but this isn’t very compelling. I don’t live in Texas so I have no idea how he’s been but if this was all I was presented then it would sway me.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
I am going to be honest here.... the same situation would have occurred if there was a Democratic governor and same NY gun laws in Texas. The reason is quite simple...this town is almost in the middle of nowhere
And quite stupid also.

JFC… as posted in the other thread; Uvalde has a dedicated SWAT team, large Police force, and spends a big part of their budget on them.

Didn’t save one child.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Yep.

It was also done with in 7 hours for nearly everyone. It seems there were a few people in Ottawa who had to wait an entire day.
A serious problem, traced to a software bug that was fixed.

However, the Toronto streetcars did stay out of operation for 4 days.

Now Texas knows how to do a power outage. 17 days straight! 700 people turned into popsicles*! Now that is how you have a power outage!

And unlike 2003 blackout, due to an entirely preventable problem Texas just choose to ignore. Turns out weatherization was just to expensive for Texas. Even after getting bit three times in a row.

Last edited:

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
i realize it was Abbott's absolute responsibility for the murderer's legal purchase of AR-15s and subsequent polishing the knobs of the failed police response that inspired this thread, but you forgot a recent failure that you created a post for...

Reactions: iRONic

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Guess what the Fox News comment section cheerleaders are now saying....

They are now making false claims that we did not have such shootings in the 40's, 50's, or 60's because moms used to not work and stay home all day to just watch children.
Here is truth: There is a reason why this never happened forty and fifty years ago - and it's not because there were 'fewer guns.' There was a 'mom' and a 'dad' both present in the home. One was working, the other was watching the children. It is a breakdown of the family unit. Period. You have too many single parents (or worse, two working parents) who have turned over their responsibilities to the public schools from 8a-3p, and the PS5, iPad and iPhone the rest of the time. When your kids are raised by video games, Instagram and Netflix, you can't be shocked by the results.
Source - https://www.openweb.com/share/29jeZQvqlciTxMDwl0TKX31kK85

Did capitalism not exist 50 years ago? How did families manage to survive in the 50's and 60's with one parent working and one staying at home? Stop screaming for tax breaks and higher wages and "more money." (A better paying job is, of course, something you should always strive for. It's what drives most ambition). But start with these three rules first and see how they work for you: God First. Your family second. Your job third. And a fourth one for you: 'living within your means.'
Source - https://www.openweb.com/share/29jno3BwQQ1bAg1kHe9ESfZZA4D

Mothers, starting in the 70`s, bought into day care and nursery school and went to work by choice! (Not talking about a mom that was left alone to bring up kids) I think churches are part of this blame, starting with day care. Then, greed overtook the family for things and stuff. They pretended that they ‘needed’ all that. And, here we are! So, the want of things and stuff was more important than mom at home taking care of the kids and household. Yup. We have come a long way, Virginia!
Source - https://www.openweb.com/share/29jmUCSDUa6KDQByJlwTt7Ff0JA

They also make the false claim that Democrats shutdown mental asylums illegally.
Blame the dems for shutting down the mental hospitals. Blame the dems for fearing invasion of privacy over medical records more than they feared losing their own children. This isn’t a gun issue. It’s a mental illness issue and dems are to blame for making it impossible to report people like this without fear of being sued.
Source - https://www.openweb.com/share/29jnBjk4mgxUfpnsiFWqcqdqLWc

A bigger surprise is that they claim to many people have to many children of their own that they can't afford to take care of them.
Americans have too many kids and don't raise them properly. I am sick of hearing about it.
Source - https://www.openweb.com/share/29jmrEGE5n2WBPyJxff1lphJX0S

Lastly and not surprising from the racist Fox News Cheerleaders, is that they make the false claim that diversity in America is the cause of the shooting.
And no country in the world is as “diversified” as America. Their common denominator is they’re mostly homogeneous society. The great liberal multicultural diversity experiment has failed.
Source - https://www.openweb.com/share/29jnWQ0h40JftM4xswvhP4E9ft7

Reactions: Captante and Leeea

Lost_in_the_HTTP

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2019
Not wild about this particular source, but ......

Child Gun Deaths In Texas Doubled Under Greg Abbott. Then Came Uvalde.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/yout...t-then-came-uvalde_n_628ec3a8e4b0cda85dba0d11

AUSTIN, Texas – When S**** R****, 18, barged into a classroom at Robb Elementary on Tuesday and opened fire, he accelerated an already horrifying trend: Children have become more than twice as likely to die from gun violence as they were before Gov. Greg Abbott (R) took office seven years ago.

The annual number of gun deaths for children 17 and under jumped from 54 in 2015, Abbott’s first year as governor, to 146 in 2020 — the latest year available from the Centers for Disease Control. Youth gun deaths rose every year over that period, except one. Texas has the distinction of having more children die by gunshot than any other state

( I choose not to repost shooter's names. )

Reactions: Muse

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Guess what the Fox News comment section cheerleaders are now saying....

They are now making false claims that we did not have such shootings in the 40's, 50's, or 60's because moms used to not work and stay home all day to just watch children.
Source - https://www.openweb.com/share/29jeZQvqlciTxMDwl0TKX31kK85

Source - https://www.openweb.com/share/29jno3BwQQ1bAg1kHe9ESfZZA4D

Source - https://www.openweb.com/share/29jmUCSDUa6KDQByJlwTt7Ff0JA

They also make the false claim that Democrats shutdown mental asylums illegally.
Source - https://www.openweb.com/share/29jnBjk4mgxUfpnsiFWqcqdqLWc

A bigger surprise is that they claim to many people have to many children of their own that they can't afford to take care of them.
Source - https://www.openweb.com/share/29jmrEGE5n2WBPyJxff1lphJX0S

Lastly and not surprising from the racist Fox News Cheerleaders, is that they make the false claim that diversity in America is the cause of the shooting.
Source - https://www.openweb.com/share/29jnWQ0h40JftM4xswvhP4E9ft7
I may need to go ask these people why does the United States the only country with this gun problem? The conditions they claim are causing the violence exist in all other developed countries

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Nah, CT. Holding the psychos at bay up here for the time being, but it is more and more of a battle every election cycle.
I thought people were leaving CT, shouldn't it he easier with less and less people every election cycle?

• Haha

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I may need to go ask these people why does the United States the only country with this gun problem? The conditions they claim are causing the violence exist in all other developed countries

Could also point out that what bought about this change, what made it economically non-viable to have a full-time stay-at-home parent, was neoliberalism, as promoted by the Blessed Ronnie Raygun.

Though, interestingly, I hear that much of the US right is now having second-thoughts about neoliberalism. Ironic when so much of what once passed itself off as 'the left' has embraced it, often with the zealotry of the convert.

Reactions: hal2kilo

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I thought people were leaving CT, shouldn't it he easier with less and less people every election cycle?
CT gained population (slightly) since 2010. Regardless, even when we were losing people it wasn't just Republicans leaving.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
To be the worst governor in Texas is impressive, because he's up against some really stiff competition, i.e. Rick Perry, and Dumbya...

Reactions: Linux23

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Pre-pandemic that was the case.... not so much anymore.

pop_change_22-04_1.png

Connecticut is a long way from perfect but if I had to choose a place to live in America based on my rights being protected it would be high on my list of best places to live.

Reactions: dank69

ASK THE COMMUNITY