Greenville North Carolina...

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
I've often kicked around the idea of moving to North Carolina after I'm done with school...I live in massachusetts now....anyone spent time in both states that could give me a comparison? I'm talking weather, social scene for someone in their 20's, general manners and class of the people in both places, etc.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
You don't want to move to Greenville. Its a small farming town only staying afloat thanks to the college. It is practically deserted during the summer, there's few/no tech jobs, and not a whole helluva lot to do. The only redeeming quality of it is the Halloween party, I hear it's quite legendary.

North Carolina is pretty decent. Wilmington is always fun, beach nearby. I live in Raleigh and like it. RTP for tons of tech jobs, lots of different areas to live to suit your taste.

Asheville is also nice. Small but spread out mountain town, downtown is cool, but housing costs are pretty high.

What do you want to know?

EDIT Should mention my parents moved to Greenville about four years ago and I lived there for two summers. That was quite enough

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
frame of reference: boston, andover, worcester

weather: awesome. but it gets hot/humid during summers = women dress accordingly and maintain their tan :thumbsup:
social scene: its a small town so not much. but its a college town (ECU) so you have the typical bars/clubs :thumbsup:
people: i think you'll find more rednecks down in NC
cost of living: big thumbs up, its so cheap down there.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion
frame of reference: boston, andover, worcester

weather: awesome. but it gets hot/humid during summers = women dress accordingly and maintain their tan :thumbsup:
social scene: its a small town so not much. but its a college town (ECU) so you have the typical bars/clubs :thumbsup:
people: i think you'll find more rednecks down in NC
cost of living: big thumbs up, its so cheap down there.
That's pretty much it. Cost of living is cheap here. Lots of hotties in little clothing during the summer, but they have to; the past couple weeks its been 100-105 heat index, all humidity. Plenty of rednecks in Greenville, and if you head out to Raleigh you'll get every minority you can think of (if that's a problem for you).

phatj

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2003
greenville south carolina is booming :) just came home from there yesterday

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
thanks guys! I do like the beach, and proximity to it is important to me. I had actually seen pictures of asheville, it looked stunningly gorgeous, but I think it's too far inland

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Accipiter22
thanks guys! I do like the beach, and proximity to it is important to me. I had actually seen pictures of asheville, it looked stunningly gorgeous, but I think it's too far inland

I drove from Nashville to the Outer Banks to visit the parents. Asheville is a little less than halfway there for me.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Accipiter22
About 3.5 hours from Raleigh and 5 hours from Wilmington.

If you want inland, personally I would only go south-east (i.e. Wilmington, Wrightsville, Outer Banks, etc). When you go east to Greenville and the towns beyond it, you're just in small-former-farm-town-turned-college-hangout and its just stupid trashy crap.

The only downside to Wilm is during summer there's lots of tourists. Traffic can be a bitch. Oh, and you're the hurricane target of the Eastern seaboard (excluding Florida of course).

Personally I like Raleigh. Huge, fairly spread out. All kinds of places to live. Tech jobs out the wazoo, if you're qualified of course. An easy two hour stretch on I-40 down to Wilmington for a weekend at the beach. Winters get chilly, but not much snow. Summers are hot as balls.

VTHodge

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
Another Raleigh resident chipping in. I see no reason that anyone would move to Greenville, NC. Come to the Triangle. Plenty of jobs and a plenty of different types of cities and towns to choose from. Coming from the North, you may be most comfortable in Cary (it recently was highly rated in somebody's "Best Place to Live"). There are plenty of your kind there. Cost of living is still pretty cheap. I just bought a house for $185,000 and there are plenty of townhouses, etc for less than that.

Feel free to ask any more questions about the area.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Greenville, SC>>Greenville, NC

But I echo the sentiments above. Move to Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, or Asheville if you want NC. In SC, Charleston has a lot of "character" and is full of hot chicks.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
Greenville, SC>>Greenville, NC

But I echo the sentiments above. Move to Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, or Asheville if you want NC. In SC, Charleston has a lot of "character" and is full of hot chicks.

QFT. we usually go to greenville once every week or so, good bars. been drunk so many times in greenville i can't count (or remember).

the cost of living is too high in charleston. i like living inland in horry county bout 20 minutes from MB. no traffic and tourists but i can still go to the beach when i want.