Greenspan warns against protectionism

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Pushed the wrong button, at first.

I think I agree with this. He says we need more eduction (according to NPR). I post first, then read.

Greenspan

Well, after reading the article, I can't say I'd recommend it. I think that everything Greenspan had to say is reflected in the title to this thread. There isn't much substance there.

BTW, The "Where's the Beef" comment was written before I posted that I think this article is relatively useless. I originally posted without any content at all.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I see he is against protectionism, but I fail to see what his alternative is. He mentions education. To do what? Become CEOs? Protectionism may not be the proper response, but to argue against it without an alternative is no argument at all. What is needed are good paying jobs in the US. That is what needs to be addressed.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Winston, I think that your answer has wisdon -- and I DO NOT mean that sarcasticly.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
I see he is against protectionism, but I fail to see what his alternative is. He mentions education. To do what? Become CEOs? Protectionism may not be the proper response, but to argue against it without an alternative is no argument at all. What is needed are good paying jobs in the US. That is what needs to be addressed.

What is needed are people who are worthy of "good paying jobs" in the US.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Actually what he is saying is that the current course is fine and that switching to a protectionist stance would cause problems(which is obvious). What I haven't seen from ANYONE is some solution which answers this false question about "good paying jobs". The ones whining the most don't seem to have a clue - they just claim it is currently bad. Like the other thread mentioned - jobs here are getting better and always have been. We aren't regressing in job quality no matter who claims the sky is falling.

CkG

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Witling
Winston, I think that your answer has wisdon -- and I DO NOT mean that sarcasticly.

Thank's for the sentiment, however I have seen a great deal that leads me to understand that I don't know much. :D

It seems to me that there could be economic incentives. Tax credits and such. At least this ought to be discussed in DC. I see both sides using a serious problem as a political football.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

What is needed are people who are worthy of "good paying jobs" in the US.

We always have the option of lowering the standard of living for the masses.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Actually what he is saying is that the current course is fine and that switching to a protectionist stance would cause problems(which is obvious). What I haven't seen from ANYONE is some solution which answers this false question about "good paying jobs". The ones whining the most don't seem to have a clue - they just claim it is currently bad. Like the other thread mentioned - jobs here are getting better and always have been. We aren't regressing in job quality no matter who claims the sky is falling.

CkG

When the economic concerns of people who have a stake in this country and are responsible citizens are poo-poohed as not worthy of consideration, then we have reached a new low. Thanks for pointing that out.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

When the economic concerns of people who have a stake in this country and are responsible citizens are poo-poohed as not worthy of consideration, then we have reached a new low. Thanks for pointing that out.

Huh? I fail to see who you think is not worthy of consideration.

CkG

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

CkG

CkG

I will be nice to you today :p

Well for this post at least
rose.gif

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Protectionism generally backfires. Look at the economy of India as an example. Only after they dropped the protectionist crap in the early 90's did it really start to expand as it should based on the pool of educated labor in the country.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

CkG

I will be nice to you today :p

Well for this post at least
rose.gif

I don't think you know where I am going with this- But that's OK.;)

CkG

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Corn
Where's the beef?

"We have reason to be confident that new jobs will displace old ones as they always have," Greenspan said

He said the better approach was to intensify efforts to increase the skills of the U.S. work force, both in better instruction in such areas as math and sciences in high school, and increased support for community colleges, where much of the retraining of the work force occurs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's fine BUT re-training for what job??? :confused:

This reminds me of the Aflac commercials, you can't hear the duck say Aflac. I can't hear The President, Greenspan, Rush, Hannity or CAD & Co say what specific job all this "Re-training" is for.

Can someone turn on my hearing aid or at least relay what they are saying in words here so can at least see it in writing.

Thank you

BugsBunny1078

Banned
Jan 11, 2004
Come on they told you to retrain you want them to hold your hand all the way too! Retrain for the future industry jobs that are coming obviously!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BugsBunny1078
Come on they told you to retrain you want them to hold your hand all the way too! Retrain for the future industry jobs that are coming obviously!

What Future Industry Jobs?

Are they training for NanoTechnology here? That won't be outsourced to India or China??? :confused: