Greatest Spectacle in Racing

Is the Indy 500, "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing"?

• Definitely, it is amazing to watch those cars go fast and wreck

• No way, it is almost as boring as a NASCAR Race

• I've never heard of this race, it must be a new track

• Racin is rubbin, and these galz n boyz whine when another car gets in their personal space

Results are only viewable after voting.

shimpster

Jul 5, 2007
Do u agree that the Indy 500 aka The Indianapolis 500 is as advertised, "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing"?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Only because Kentucky Derby horses don't pack napalm in their saddle bags.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
All racing is boring. Better than Golf, but still BORING.

Most everything is boring to just stand by watch instead of doing.

Like doing your taxes, golf manages to suck to watch and suck even harder to do.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
While Indy is better than NASCAR and much much much better than F1, no oval track racing is good.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
It was better pre CART I always thought, when you could try to qualify anything that rolled if it passed inspection.

"For the 1981 race, the name "65th Indianapolis 500-Mile Race" was officially adopted, with all references as the "International Sweepstakes" dropped. Since 1981, the race has been formally advertised in this fashion, complete with a unique annual logo with the ordinal almost always included. Around that same time, in the wake of the 1979 entry controversy, and the formation of CART, the race changed to an invitational event, rather than an Open, rendering the "sweepstakes" description inappropriate."

It changed the race a lot.

W338jdM.jpg

92GTMnD.jpg

If I remember right, I think a guy even qualified a car with a modified school bus engine in it in the 70's.

Last edited:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
"The Greatest Spectacle in Racing"?
I don't think so but that has to do with the limited races i get to see. I'll only get to see 4 IndyCar & F1 races this year. So it's hard to get too excited about either of those with limited viewing.
For me the big race is Daytona just because i get to see more NASCAR.

This mornings race was pretty good i thought. Rain played a big roll.

1 down 2 to go. I'm not at all bummed that today has the best chance for rain here so today is my lazy day of the long weekend :)

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
They had the F1 race at Monaco this morning. Now THAT is some awesome racing. Screw NASCAR and their oval tracks.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
They had the F1 race at Monaco this morning. Now THAT is some awesome racing. Screw NASCAR and their oval tracks.

Not only is F1 not awesome racing, it's not racing at all. F1 is a long, loud parade. The guys just line up and drive around the track, there's no passing.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

:thumbsup: That was an awesome race.

I went to the Long Beach Grand Prix this year and it wasn't even close to exciting... And that's the crown jewel in the Indy car calendar.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Not only is F1 not awesome racing, it's not racing at all. F1 is a long, loud parade. The guys just line up and drive around the track, there's no passing.

There was totally passing, crashes, and a lot of screw ups today. Not sure what you're talking about.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
There was totally passing, crashes, and a lot of screw ups today. Not sure what you're talking about.

WTF race were you watching?

Last 45 laps there was not a single change of position in the top 3 places and they ran lap 33 to lap 77 without one position change in the top 8. 44 consecutive laps without one guy in the top 8 making one pass. And there were only like 14 guys running at that point. Better than half the field locked into the same position for 45 laps of a 78 lap parade. It's an insult to racing to call that racing.

Previous "race" was Spain, not a single position change in the top 7 for the final 23 laps. Not one.

Previous "race" was Russia, not a single potion change in the top five for the final 33 laps of a 53 lap parade.

Want me to go on?

If you're interested in motorsports spectacles leading to a fiery crash, the newly revamped Top Gear with Chris Evans and Matt LeBlanc started today.

Last edited:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
WTF race were you watching?

Last 45 laps there was not a single change of position in the top 3 places and they ran lap 33 to lap 77 without one position change in the top 8. 44 consecutive laps without one guy in the top 8 making one pass. And there were only like 14 guys running at that point. Better than half the field locked into the same position for 45 laps of a 78 lap parade. It's an insult to racing to call that racing.

Previous "race" was Spain, not a single position change in the top 7 for the final 23 laps. Not one.

Previous "race" was Russia, not a single potion change in the top five for the final 33 laps of a 53 lap parade.

Want me to go on?

If you're interested in motorsports spectacles leading to a fiery crash, the newly revamped Top Gear with Chris Evans and Matt LeBlanc started today.

Yes, please, go on. We all like hearing from pompous asses.

Anyway, did anyone see that Hamilton overtake of Rosberg? Pretty risky!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIwMSAOqPVk

Also, Red Bull done screwed up putting slicks on too early. The driver missed the dry line and SPLAT! I think their pit crew was drunk too. Last pit change was almost comical. "Where's those tires we just took out 2 minutes ago?"

NoTine42

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2013
Yes, please, go on. We all like hearing from pompous asses.

Anyway, did anyone see that Hamilton overtake of Rosberg? Pretty risky!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIwMSAOqPVk

Also, Red Bull done screwed up putting slicks on too early. The driver missed the dry line and SPLAT! I think their pit crew was drunk too. Last pit change was almost comical. "Where's those tires we just took out 2 minutes ago?"
About like the Indy crew that forgot to tighten the left front lug nut.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
if you only consider autosport, could easily be the greatest spectacle in racing. Certainly it's the race that has the most eyes on it across the entire world. NASCAR does attract a ton of viewership but even the Daytona 500 probably doesn't have much reach outside America. Canadians watch, but not like Americans do.

If you open 'racing' to any kind of racing event, it isn't even close. It would go to either the Tour de France or the 100m sprint @ the Olympics (the 4 x 100m relay would be a close 2nd).

There are other great events too. Kona is amazing to watch if you're into it. At a certain point it all becomes relative to preference.